What are your thoughts on movie remakes, Sequels?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 7:44 pm

Aladin, Dumbo, Lion King have a released remake. A Snow White remake is in the works. Rambo, Fast And Furious, Indiana Jones, Expendables 4 are coming. Scarface remake is in the works. Ace Ventura and Commando are rumored to be getting a remake. You also have another James Bond in the works. They are also doing a American Werewolf in London remake. I think Hollywood is running out of ideas. Fast And Furious should stop.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2019, 8:14 pm

There seems to be way too many of these lately.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 8:24 pm

darkwaver wrote:
There seems to be way too many of these lately.
Could you explain further?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 8:44 pm

I think most remakes suck.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 9:16 pm

I like the idea of TRON : Legacy as a long delayed sequel. Plot was a bit of a mess, but I liked the idea of 'passing the torch' or having the older generation character bring the history of the story to the newer generation.

I loved BladeRunner 2049. It honored the original visual style but included new environments.

In most cases though, I think the trend of remakes or reboots is a weird sign of us finding easy familiarity in nostalgia.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 9:17 pm

They're a sign that the end of the world is coming.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 9:23 pm

If it's a good film, why does it need to be remade?

And who wants to see a bad film remade?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 9:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
They're a sign that the end of the world is coming.

Yes! :P

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 12:08 am

DeepHour wrote:
If it's a good film, why does it need to be remade?
It's all about the money.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2019, 2:13 am

Hate to break it to you all, but sequels have been a staple of fiction for centuries and film remakes go back as far as the 1910s. Before the days of film preservation and wide releases, it was common for Hollywood to simply remake its own films every decade or so. Many directors from the 1910s into the 1950s would remake their own films as technology advanced: a famous example would be Cecille B. DeMille's 1923 and 1956 productions of "The Ten Commandments". Many famous American films from the golden era of Hollywood were remakes of foreign movies: "The Magnificent Seven", for example, was a remake of the Japanese film "The Seven Samurai".

Basically, the practice is literally nothing new. And yes, money is the driving force behind most remakes and sequels, but since when is the intent of making profit NOT the driving force behind the release of ANY film, even original ones?

I really can't speak conclusively on sequels and remakes as a whole, because it's different for every movie. There are great remakes and there are bad remakes. There are great sequels and there are bad sequels. There are great franchises and there are bad franchises. I can really only hope for the best whenever one comes out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 2:18 am

fantasia 2000 sucked whale turds clear from the bottom, AFAIC, compared to the 1940 original. the main problem with it was how brutally, how ham-fistedly, the music was edited.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 4:11 am

With sequels, usually too many are made.

A remake is often made in a different era from the original. Thus the movie has to both pay tribute to the original while not being dated. This is hard to do and often results in an awkward film. Becoming dated is also a problem for sequels that go on too long. The current controversy over the James Bond franchise is an example of this. Besides then acceptable behavior that is now considered sexist one of the main parts of the film is the weaponry Bond uses. In the '60s these futuristic multi-purpose weapons dazzled, now we can do a lot of these things on our phone.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:52 am

PurpleReject wrote:
Hate to break it to you all, but sequels have been a staple of fiction for centuries and film remakes go back as far as the 1910s. Before the days of film preservation and wide releases, it was common for Hollywood to simply remake its own films every decade or so. Many directors from the 1910s into the 1950s would remake their own films as technology advanced: a famous example would be Cecille B. DeMille's 1923 and 1956 productions of "The Ten Commandments". Many famous American films from the golden era of Hollywood were remakes of foreign movies: "The Magnificent Seven", for example, was a remake of the Japanese film "The Seven Samurai".

Basically, the practice is literally nothing new. And yes, money is the driving force behind most remakes and sequels, but since when is the intent of making profit NOT the driving force behind the release of ANY film, even original ones?

I really can't speak conclusively on sequels and remakes as a whole, because it's different for every movie. There are great remakes and there are bad remakes. There are great sequels and there are bad sequels. There are great franchises and there are bad franchises. I can really only hope for the best whenever one comes out.

I actually agree. Sequels for the most part arent so bad. But most of TODAY'S remakes are pretty bad. It doesn't feel right to redo a great classic.

I think the remake I hated the most was Zack Snyder's 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:54 am

When people try to blatantly evoke certain time periods...like the 60s and 70s....they usually do a very poor job of it.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 8:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When people try to blatantly evoke certain time periods...like the 60s and 70s....they usually do a very poor job of it.

Or the 80's. They never get the hairstyles right!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I think most remakes suck.

So do IMO, the majority of movie franchises that got rebooted.