Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 12:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Boehner, Speaker of the House under Obama, is pronounced "Bay-ner". I know this for a fact now.

That's just like the English page of the Google translater reads it. :mrgreen:
https://translate.google.de/#view=home& ... xt=Boehner
Sounds kind of Mickey Mouse like.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 4:25 pm

Huh, maybe I got him mixed up with John Hickenlooper. I guess most of the news anchors I've heard over the years have been mispronouncing his name too. Learn something new every day.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

SOME one is gonna mention Anthony Wiener, who had a scandal involving "showing off his Johnson".

So..I might as well drop the other shoe and mention him right now, and be done with it.

So...we are now done with Anthony Wiener!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 5:01 pm

Anthony Weiner's last name, unfortunately, is pronounced like the Oscar Mayer item.

He was a creep who sent dirty pictures of himself to underage girls.

He really was sort of an arrogant guy----he thought he had the world at his oyster.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 8:05 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Huh, maybe I got him mixed up with John Hickenlooper. I guess most of the news anchors I've heard over the years have been mispronouncing his name too. Learn something new every day.

He's in my top three for the Democratic nomination. Amy Klobuchar and Jay Inslee are the others.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 2:15 am

No mention of Dick Armey? (Pronounced Dick ARMY)

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2019, 7:54 am

Boris isn't that much like Trump, apart from being un-PC (mostly in the 1990s in his, newspaper column) He's liberal in some areas and right leaning in others. I think London was better under him than the current mayor. One of his first moves as PM was to scrap the previous PM's target to reduce immigration, hardly something Trump would do?

Also he was a big advocate for Gary McKinnon, the guy with Aspergers who hacked the pentagon. He spoke out against him being extradited to America and said the following:

Quote:
"Gary McKinnon wasn't even a proper hacker," wrote Johnson. "He did something called 'blank password scanning', and, because these military computers were so dumb as to lack proper passwords, he was able to roam around their intestines in search of evidence of little green men. He was so innocent and unfurtive in his investigations that he left his own email address, and messages such as: 'Your security is crap.' And, yes, since you ask, he does think that he found evidence that the US military is infiltrated by beings from the planet Tharg. He even knows the names and ranks of various non-terrestrial officers, though unfortunately they have been deleted from his hard drive.

"It is brutal, mad and wrong even to consider sending this man to America for trial. He has been diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome, for heaven's sake. How can the British government be so protoplasmic, so pathetic, so heedless of the wellbeing of its own people, as to sign the warrant for his extradition?"

Praising Obama's actions since being sworn into office, which include initiating the closure of the Guantánamo Bay detention camp and ending the practise of "extraordinary rendition", Johnson said it was now time for the US to end "its demented quest" to extradite the 42-year-old from north London.

"To listen to the ravings of the US military, you would think that Mr McKinnon is a threat to national security on a par with Osama bin Laden. According to the Americans, this mild-mannered computer programmer has done more damage to their war-fighting capabilities than all the orange-pyjama-clad suspects of Guantánamo combined."

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

KeepOn wrote:
Boris isn't that much like Trump, apart from being un-PC (mostly in the 1990s in his, newspaper column) He's liberal in some areas and right leaning in others. I think London was better under him than the current mayor. One of his first moves as PM was to scrap the previous PM's target to reduce immigration, hardly something Trump would do?

Also he was a big advocate for Gary McKinnon, the guy with Aspergers who hacked the pentagon. He spoke out against him being extradited to America and said the following:

Quote:
"Gary McKinnon wasn't even a proper hacker," wrote Johnson. "He did something called 'blank password scanning', and, because these military computers were so dumb as to lack proper passwords, he was able to roam around their intestines in search of evidence of little green men. He was so innocent and unfurtive in his investigations that he left his own email address, and messages such as: 'Your security is crap.' And, yes, since you ask, he does think that he found evidence that the US military is infiltrated by beings from the planet Tharg. He even knows the names and ranks of various non-terrestrial officers, though unfortunately they have been deleted from his hard drive.

"It is brutal, mad and wrong even to consider sending this man to America for trial. He has been diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome, for heaven's sake. How can the British government be so protoplasmic, so pathetic, so heedless of the wellbeing of its own people, as to sign the warrant for his extradition?"

Praising Obama's actions since being sworn into office, which include initiating the closure of the Guantánamo Bay detention camp and ending the practise of "extraordinary rendition", Johnson said it was now time for the US to end "its demented quest" to extradite the 42-year-old from north London.

"To listen to the ravings of the US military, you would think that Mr McKinnon is a threat to national security on a par with Osama bin Laden. According to the Americans, this mild-mannered computer programmer has done more damage to their war-fighting capabilities than all the orange-pyjama-clad suspects of Guantánamo combined."

That's funny!

"Boris" sounds interesting--liberal some areas & right-leaning in others. I'm curious how he will do.

Maybe England will be really benefitted by it: if so, maybe I'll emigrate. Wales?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 9:14 am

How did a British PM get a Russian first name? Boris always reminds me of Boris and Natasha, the Russian baddies in the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon series.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 9:38 am

IstominFan wrote:
How did a British PM get a Russian first name? ...
Maybe his parents were fans of The Who ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 2:42 pm

IstominFan wrote:
How did a British PM get a Russian first name? Boris always reminds me of Boris and Natasha, the Russian baddies in the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon series.

His first name is Alexander. He started using his middle name of Boris as it made him sound a bit 'wacky'

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 2:50 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Good job Jeremy Hunt didn't win as people seem unable to say his surname without changing the first initial , even on the news.

I'm not sure having a Johnson is better than having a Hunt :mrgreen:

on Facebook.

She's lying! I'm sure she's used that word before. I know a number of Brit women who toss that word around like it's nothing. One even called me a "cheeky c**t" one day on Facebook.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 3:40 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Good job Jeremy Hunt didn't win as people seem unable to say his surname without changing the first initial , even on the news.

I'm not sure having a Johnson is better than having a Hunt :mrgreen:

on Facebook.

She's lying! I'm sure she's used that word before. I know a number of Brit women who toss that word around like it's nothing. One even called me a "cheeky c**t" one day on Facebook.

Yeah , I bet Victoria Derbyshire swears like a sailor at home :twisted:
The word is not as offensive as it used to be but it's your best bet if you are trying to offend someones sensibilities :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard