2nd debate questions - No requests for hand raise or Yes/No

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 5:26 pm

CNN nixes hand-raise questions and penalizes interrupting in second Democratic primary debates

Quote:
CNN rules for the second Democratic presidential primary debate will prohibit hand-raise questions and penalize candidates who consistently interrupt, taking the opposite approach from NBC's mechanics that created drama during and after the first round of debates.

"There will be no show of hands or one-word, down-the-line questions" during the July 30 and 31 debates in Detroit, CNN announced Tuesday.

During the second night of NBC's June debates, all 10 candidates on stage raised their hands to indicate support for government-provided health insurance for illegal immigrants.

Kamala Harris raised her hand to indicate support for abolishing private health insurance, but she later said she misinterpreted the question. The California senator's communications director said Harris was trying to communicate that she would enroll herself in a government plan, not make the system "'Medicare for all' except for me."

CNN's rules say that "a candidate who consistently interrupts will have his or her time reduced," a strategy that could penalize candidates such as Kirsten Gillibrand, the New York senator who attempted to jump in to discussions at several points during the first debate.

n another change, the CNN-hosted events will include both opening and closing statements from candidates. The NBC debate had only closing statements.

Obviously, CNN is making sure what happened in the NBC debate whereby these types of questions probably helped Trump's reelection chances do not happen again. Specifically, these questions forced most of the candidates to come out in support of reparations for slavery and decriminalization of illegal immigration, positions that are likely to be toxic in the swing states.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm

Bizarre that any Democrat would publicly admit to wanting to "eliminate private heath insurance".

That's an easy attack ad for TRUMP.