Upcoming Job Interview - Anxiety Being an Issue

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

georgethekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm

My name is George. I have just graduated from college a couple of months ago with my Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications geared toward radio broadcasting. It has been two months since I've been looking for a job opportunity in radio stations. I have looked on networking business websites and communications company websites in their Careers or Employment section persistently. I'm diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.

I have an upcoming interview with a local radio/television hybrid station this coming Thursday and anxiety has been occurring to the point of panic attacks as the days keep going. I do have panic disorder and take daily prescription medications from my doctor to help cope but it sadly only helps with most but not all situations like this.

I would be meeting with important figures in the building and a possible interview would be taking place. I understand that being nervous before a job interview is part of the human condition but I'm not sure about days before it begins. I have tried smooth jazz music, exercise, and other methods but they seem to only work as distractions and don't work long-term.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this situation? Are there any suggestions that could help me before and during the interview? Any hints or tips?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 7:12 pm

The last few years for me I have not been able to face job interviews or even signing on interviews, so I have not done any. My current temporary part time work.. The employer already knows me so didn't need an interview.
I don't know what to say. Prayer?

All you can do practically is relax and do things to divert your mind into things you enjoy doing.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 6:59 am

I still get anxious during job interviews to the point it probably cost me a job that would have doubled my salary as I was on paper the superior candidate but I completely blacked out and sounded like a 16 year old in my interview.

The best thing I can suggest is to just say f*R@# it and just go in expecting a meeting with some people, nothing more. Don't put them on a pedestal by thinking of them as "important people" and just realize they are people just like you, just more experienced. It may or may not work out but the important thing is that you took that first step.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

georgethekid wrote:
My name is George. I have just graduated from college a couple of months ago with my Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications geared toward radio broadcasting. It has been two months since I've been looking for a job opportunity in radio stations. I have looked on networking business websites and communications company websites in their Careers or Employment section persistently. I'm diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.

I have an upcoming interview with a local radio/television hybrid station this coming Thursday and anxiety has been occurring to the point of panic attacks as the days keep going. I do have panic disorder and take daily prescription medications from my doctor to help cope but it sadly only helps with most but not all situations like this.

I would be meeting with important figures in the building and a possible interview would be taking place. I understand that being nervous before a job interview is part of the human condition but I'm not sure about days before it begins. I have tried smooth jazz music, exercise, and other methods but they seem to only work as distractions and don't work long-term.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this situation? Are there any suggestions that could help me before and during the interview? Any hints or tips?

how did it go?

georgethekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2019, 2:01 pm

I was excited of seeing a historical station at the area I’m in and got a tour around while meeting one of my radio influences and speaking with him for 20-25 minutes.

There was no job interview as I had expected and was more of a tour around the station. But I was able to make connections and there may be a chance if anything comes up within their radio stations. I’m also keeping in touch with them via LinkedIn.