Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 3:49 am

As many as four people have been killed and a dozen injured in California after a mass shooting at one of America's largest food festivals where victims were "dropping like flies", according to reports.
The gunman at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, located about 50 km south-west of San Jose in Northern California, was shot dead by police.
Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee said he believed the gunman cut a hole in the fence to gain access to the venue, before he launched a deadly rampage which has reportedly included the killing of a young boy.
https://www.9news.com.au/world/californ ... a76b70b4c6

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 3:57 am

This is sad. That festival is on my bucket list.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 6:25 am

This is very sad. And apparently the festival was a gun and weapons free zone. This would be proof positive that criminals do not follow rules and laws, no matter how strict; only law abiding citizens do.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 7:12 am

Magna wrote:
This would be proof positive that criminals do not follow rules and laws, no matter how strict; only law abiding citizens do.

...Really??

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 8:18 am

smudge wrote:
Magna wrote:
This would be proof positive that criminals do not follow rules and laws, no matter how strict; only law abiding citizens do.
...Really??
Gun-control laws do not stop criminals with guns.

Gun-toting police officers stop criminals with guns.

Really.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 9:12 am

“President Trump also responded to reports of the shooting on Sunday. "Law Enforcement is at the scene of shootings in Gilroy, California”

There has not been a sympathetic tweet from Trump to the mass shooting at an outdoor party in a black neighborhood in Brooklyn earlier in the weekend. As of this writing there has been no replies to the thread about it on wrong planet.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 10:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
“President Trump also responded to reports of the shooting on Sunday. "Law Enforcement is at the scene of shootings in Gilroy, California”

There has not been a sympathetic tweet from Trump to the mass shooting at an outdoor party in a black neighborhood in Brooklyn earlier in the weekend. As of this writing there has been no replies to the thread about it on wrong planet.

Whenever you mention a mass-shooting and people need to ask 'wait, which one?' it's bound it lead to people getting burned out on discussing mass-shootings, even on here.

I'm not saying that's an excuse for the president, but it's an excuse for your fellow WP posters.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:46 am

Fnord wrote:
smudge wrote:
Magna wrote:
...Really??
Gun-control laws do not stop criminals with guns.

Gun-toting police officers stop criminals with guns.

Really.

It was sarcasm. Sorry Fnord.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 11:49 am

smudge wrote:
Fnord wrote:
smudge wrote:
Magna wrote:
...Really??
Gun-control laws do not stop criminals with guns. Gun-toting police officers stop criminals with guns. Really.
It was sarcasm. Sorry Fnord.
Oh. Then I'm sorry for posting snark.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 1:30 pm

Santino William Legan: What we know about Gilroy Garlic Festival suspect

Quote:
The gunman in the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting appears to have posted two photos on Instagram that day, including one minutes before he opened fire

Multiple officials tell ABC News that investigators are aware of the recent Instagram posts and that those posts are now part of the active investigation. One entry that appears to have been posted on Sunday from the festival criticizes the event. Another message posted Sunday makes reference to the book "Might is Right," which is popular among white supremacists and viewed by some as a movement manifesto. The misogynist and anti-Semitic work is used by neo-Nazis and white supremacists on extremist sites. In the post, he also criticizes people of mixed racial heritage.

The law enforcement officials caution that while they are investigating the social media posts, they do not believe the posts prove Legan's motive was domestic terrorism. Though the authorities said they do not yet know the motive for the massacre, they believe it could turn out that Legan was simply another angry and unstable man who acted out violently and used racial and ethnic anger to justify the shooting he was contemplating.

Officials say Legan's family is cooperating with investigators.

According to an article in the Gilroy Dispatch dated July 2017, Rosino Legan is an amateur boxer who is training for the 2020 Olympics. His three brothers spar with him and his father serves as his coach.

6-year-old boy, 13-year-old girl, man in 20s identified as victims killed in attack at annual California event
Quote:
The young boy was identified as Stephen Romero, who was with his mother and grandmother at the annual food festival. They were both hospitalized as well.

The Santa Clara Coroner's Office has confirmed that the 13-year-old victim is Keyla Salazar.

The adult victim was identified by Keuka College in New York as Trevor Irby. They say the biology major graduated in 2017. In a statement, Keuka College President Amy Storey said alumna Sarah Warner was with Irby at the festival and "We were relieved to learn that Sarah was not physically injured in the shooting.“

Police say the gun Legan used was an AK-47 style assault rifle that he purchased legally in Nevada on July 9.

At least 25 people were sent to the hospital, according to representatives from four area hospital.

Police Chief Scot Smithee says the shooting took place on north side of the festival. Officers were in the area and engaged with the suspect who had a rifle. The suspect was shot and killed.

According to the chief, the suspect got inside the event through the creek and used an unknown tool to cut into the fence.

Smithee says there is no confirmation of a 2nd suspect involved in the shooting, despite witnesses claiming they saw one.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 5:51 pm

What has the US become now after this insensitive violent act? :evil:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 3:39 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There has not been a sympathetic tweet from Trump to the mass shooting at an outdoor party in a black neighborhood in Brooklyn earlier in the weekend.

That's not really that shocking and in any case we already know what Trump thinks of black neighborhoods
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/27/trump-c ... mings.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 4:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There has not been a sympathetic tweet from Trump to the mass shooting at an outdoor party in a black neighborhood in Brooklyn earlier in the weekend. As of this writing, there have been no replies to the thread about it on wrong planet.

cyberdad wrote:
That's not really that shocking and in any case we already know what Trump thinks of black neighborhoods
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/27/trump-c ... mings.html

funeralxempire wrote:
Whenever you mention a mass-shooting and people need to ask 'wait, which one?' it's bound it lead to people getting burned out on discussing mass-shootings, even on here.

These reasons and suspected gang related mass shootings in such neighborhoods do not seem to cause as much reaction as random or white supremacist mass shootings.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 4:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
These reasons and suspected gang related mass shootings in such neighborhoods do not seem to cause as much reaction as random or white supremacist mass shootings.

The reasons are obvious aren't they....black lives don't matter....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 4:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[

Not when they are killed by fellow blacks. If a white guy in Nazi regalia did the shooting it would matter (It is not likely a white guy in Nazi regalia would get to the party in that neighborhood, but you get the point)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 5:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[

Not when they are killed by fellow blacks. If a white guy in Nazi regalia did the shooting it would matter (It is not likely a white guy in Nazi regalia would get to the party in that neighborhood, but you get the point)

No my point is that even when a black man kills another black person it barely ever raises a ripple in the white media. That's what I mean't by black lives don't matter (at least to a republican white audience).