Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 3:05 pm

Supposedly, autistic people are prone to black-and-white thinking than NTs are.

Based on my experiences with the autistic community so far, including both Wrong Planet and the in-person support groups I attend, I have not noticed autistic people being more prone to black-and-white thinking than most NTs are.

What I've noticed is that most people in general tend to be prone to black-and-white thinking, and that moving beyond black-and-white thinking requires a certain kind of intellectual sophistication that some people develop and others don't.

But, as far as I can tell, most of the people who post here on WP, even the most of the more severely disabled people here, do seem to have the ability to move beyond black-and-white thinking, at least most of the time, though they may revert to black-and-white thinking on issues that are especially emotionally charged. Ditto for most of the people at the support groups I attend, and ditto for most people I've known in general.

Perhaps there are certain kinds of black-and-white thinking that autistic people are more prone to than NTs?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 3:59 pm

Yes, I'm not 100% clear on what black-and-white thinking is either. I'd like to see some examples on what sort of things an autistic may typically think in black-and-white about versus what an NT may typically think in black-and-white about.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 4:15 pm

I think they are talking about being adherence to the rules and taking things literal. That is black and white thinking. Also difficulty seeing things from another perspective and also an autistic person getting an idea in their head and then they don't change it because they believe they are right.

The problem with "black and white thinking" is this is a ambiguous term. It means different things in different situations.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 8:40 pm

My thoughts loose nuance when I am over-tired, which was the situation for years.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 8:49 pm

When I read about B&W thinking, I thought that's my sister! *not* me. But then one thing came to mind for me: At work Sales folks will "spin" issues and although I accept they do that, I think to myself: Liars. And then another thing: somebody said he was still a little hung over when he went out the next morning in his car. My thoughts were screaming DUI, DUI - I "teased" him about it and he said he didn't drive far. I thought, I don't care how far you drove: DUI. Then today my husband said that a text "10 min" means ETA 10 min, always... and I pointed out he told me two weeks ago that text "10 min" means leaving in 10 min... I said his communication was unreliable. Was I supposed to say sometimes confusing or ambiguous? Perhaps the more stressed I am the more B&W I seem --- I know better, but am not feeling it.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 9:39 pm

I disagree. From my experiences, here and elsewhere, people on the spectrum are at least more prone to "all-or-nothing" thinking, which is a variant of black-and-white thinking. I'm definitely like this myself, but it doesn't have to be a hindrance or a bad thing. You can use it to your advantage. For instance, in certain areas I can have incredible discipline when I'm engaged with the "all" part of all-or-nothing thinking, but on the flip side, if I'm not, I tend to default to the "nothing" part.

For instance, if I want to cut down on consuming certain unhealthy foods or drinks, I only tend to remain successful if I cut them out completely, and when I decide to do that, I find it relatively easy to abstain. If I try to have them in moderation instead, a couple of weeks later, I tend to end up back where I started and just consuming whatever food or drink I please.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:43 pm

In an old thread on this same topic:

marshall wrote:
I can list several different types of "black-and-white" thinking.

1.) Thinking in Categories

This occurs when people want to classify things. It simplifies concepts so that they can understand them easier. However, a person's categorical "model" of thinking rarely corresponds to the real world. Some people don't like to admit that, though their understanding has merit, it's usually based on some simplification. They like to forget about the simplifying assumptions they've made and pretend their cognitive model of the world corresponds with reality 100% of the time.

2.) Literal Thinking

This occurs when people only see the most literal interpretation of a rule. It's being unable to accept nuances or exceptions. People who think this way often claim to be more logical than others but it really has nothing to do with logic. This type of thinking is common with aspies.

3.) Perfectionism

This one's pretty self-explanatory. Also a problem area for aspeis.

4.) Zero Tolerance for Unfairness

This is another problematic area for us. NTs seem more willing to have "flexible" ethics, or just plain don't recognize the inherent unfairness in a lot of systems. They are less willing to examine the status-quo because they accept a world view based on social hierarchies. They often condone or rationalize minor types of unfairness and injustice in lieu of challenging social hierarchies.

5.) Splitting

This usually happens in arguments. Each person will claim the other is entirely at fault to protect themselves from blame. It often takes the form of a "straw man" or "slippery slope" type of logical fallacy. One person will interpret any negative comment the other says in the most extreme fashion possible so they can justify an angry rebuttal.

Another example is when someone sees other peoples as either "all good" or "all bad". People are "good" when they defend/rescue the person and "bad" when they criticize/reject the person.

The main difference between this and the other kinds of black-and-white thinking is this is much more emotion driven. There might even be a disconnect between what people say in the heat of argument and what they're really thinking deeper down.

6.) Appeal to Emotions / Manipulation

This involves purposely framing an issues in black-and-white terms because it has a stronger emotional impact and riles people up. This is the realm of politics. The GWB "you're either with us or you're against us" quote is a great example.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think types 2,3, and 4 are more prevalent with aspies while 1,5, and 6 are just as prevalent (or more prevalent) in the NT population.

Let me know if I've missed any.

Do others here agree that "types 2,3, and 4 are more prevalent with aspies while 1,5, and 6 are just as prevalent (or more prevalent) in the NT population"?

Next post down, in the same old thread:

Janissy wrote:
I think 5 and 6 are likely more prevalent in the NT population. 6 is definately the realm of politics and also very problematically it's the realm of inter-group tensions of every type: religious, national, ethnic, racial, class etc. In the group or out of the group. Very black and white.

#1: Thinking in Categories: is definately a problem for my daughter who has medium functioning autism ( a term that may or may not actually exist but hopefully it makes sense anyway). She is working very hard on understanding everything in the world by sorting things/experiences/emotions/everything into categories. So far, so good. The problem is that in a black-and-white manner she thinks each category is exclusive and there can be no overlap between categories. If something is eaten for breakfast, you couldn't ever also have the same food for dinner, for example. My response to this is Catastrophization.

#7: Catastrophization: the black-and-white idea that things that don't turn out wonderfully will therefore be a terrible catastrophe. The worst that can happen, will happen. I worry that if she can't tackle the cognitive concept of things being in multiple categories and overlap between categories, the world will never make any sense to her and she will be doomed to flounder around in a world she can't make sense of and at the mercy of people who can exploit her confusion and misunderstanding to their own ends. Yikes!

I have no idea if catastrophization is more prevalent to one neurology or another. I just know that I have a problem falling into it.

What do others here think of this?

To me, when I hear the term "black-and-white thinking," it brings to mind primarily meanings #1, #5, and #6, which, according to Marshall in the first quote above, are just as common if not more common among NTs than among autistic people.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 01 Aug 2019, 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 12:09 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
I disagree. From my experiences, here and elsewhere, people on the spectrum are at least more prone to "all-or-nothing" thinking, which is a variant of black-and-white thinking. I'm definitely like this myself, but it doesn't have to be a hindrance or a bad thing. You can use it to your advantage. For instance, in certain areas I can have incredible discipline when I'm engaged with the "all" part of all-or-nothing thinking, but on the flip side, if I'm not, I tend to default to the "nothing" part.

I would call this "all-or-nothing action" or "all-or-nothing attention focus" rather than "all-or-nothing thinking." It has nothing to do with "black-and-white" beliefs; hence I would hesitate to call it "black-and-white thinking."

I myself tend to be all-or-nothing in terms of emotional expression, i.e., sometimes I am very emotionally expressive and at other times I have "flat affect," with not much in between. But I think it would be a bit of a stretch to refer to that as "black-and-white thinking."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 12:44 am

Judging by the examples in this thread, I don't think I am too much of a black-and-white thinker. I am on some things sometimes, but mostly I will see the grey areas in things.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 10:34 am

The phrase "black and white" is appropriate when using a graphics metaphor. When working with graphics it is the lowest resolution one can get. As one increases resolution through gray scale to color, more and more information is obtained about a particular pixel.

Returning to the realm of human perception, there are some that are limited in their ability to see greater resolution and there are some for whom the processing of greater information produces too much anxiety.

Some may hold to a binary view in order to provide the comfort of certainty. However, this also tends toward confrontation with whoever selects an opposite view. Those who (for whatever reason) do not do well with a higher resolution view of life, may be avoided and those who have a greater view can be sought out for their interesting observations.

I can see this phenomena impacting on Aspergers to the extent that anxiety may not be dealt with well and result in things like selective mutism.

lucgn01
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2019, 10:58 am

At least for me, black and white thinking seems to be, as previously described, an "all or nothing" mindset. If something isn't good, it's bad. If someone doesn't like you, they hate you. I don't know if that's an autism thing or not, though. It may just be for those who are more prone to anxiety and who have a strong desire to be a part of a larger group.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 11:36 am

I believe OCD and anxiety disorders are also prone to black and white thinking. People with trauma can also have it too.

One of my black and white thinkings I had as a child was if I was rude on accident, I was a terrible person so I had to not do that behavior again or else I am a bad person if I keep doing it. I think that also made me get better social skills and be a better person because of that black and white thinking. If I make a mistake or mess up or get someone upset, I had to say sorry because bad people don't say sorry. I had rules for myself I had to follow. If someone else didn't follow them, I thought they were bad people. I took movies too seriously. :roll:

I am pretty sure people with self esteem issues are also prone to black and white thinking.

I think if I hadn't cared what other people thought of me, I wouldn't have improved as a person and if I lacked black and white thinking, I wouldn't have improved. Kids are brutally honest and will tell you what they think of you so it pushed me to that B&W thinking. Honestly I think I was already B&W and it wasn't other kids that made me do it. I would have done it anyway but in other things. If I had been more aspie, I don't think I would have cared what others thought of me because I wouldn't have understood and I would have thought it was their problem and not mine and that I was fine and they were the strange ones and I don't need them, I would have lacked self awareness. But I think I would have had better self esteem too. I think mild aspies are more prone to depression and anxiety and self esteem issues because of our self awareness of how different we are so other kids opinions affect us and they remind us of how different we are with their opinion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 11:53 am

Joe90 wrote:
Yes, I'm not 100% clear on what black-and-white thinking is either. I'd like to see some examples on what sort of things an autistic may typically think in black-and-white about versus what an NT may typically think in black-and-white about.

It aint rocket science.

Its "black and white thinking" as opposed to "shades of gray thinking".

BW is "all or nothing" as someone above aptly put it. As opposed to seeing nuances and gradations.

"Everyone who doesn't like me, must hate me". As opposed "folks may not think or feel about me at all, and if they do only a few are beyond neutral about me good or bad".

I don't know how much the dichotomies correlate with NT vs AS though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 12:09 pm

I notice most NTs and other humans do B&W thinking like "I am poor and I worked my way out of it, everyone else can too and those who do not choose to be poor." I see this mentality a lot online. And people always assume everyone else has the same situation as them. "I am able to save money, other people don't save because they are poor at their finances and need to stop eating out and going on trips and buying things they don't need." They Assume that is what others are doing with their money when in fact they don't buy anything at all and they never go out and they still live paycheck to paycheck. This is the common B&W thinking I see in the human population.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 12:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I notice most NTs and other humans do B&W thinking like "I am poor and I worked my way out of it, everyone else can too and those who do not choose to be poor." I see this mentality a lot online. And people always assume everyone else has the same situation as them. "I am able to save money, other people don't save because they are poor at their finances and need to stop eating out and going on trips and buying things they don't need." They Assume that is what others are doing with their money when in fact they don't buy anything at all and they never go out and they still live paycheck to paycheck. This is the common B&W thinking I see in the human population.

Yes.
I get into arguments with folks. Could be that I am being B+W, or that they are, or we both are.

One particular running debate I had with a lady at work (she left the company recently) who was presumably NT, was over something in which she seemed to be LACK empathy (ie didn't see things from the pov of others). I am the aspie. Im the one who is supposed to lack empathy. Gee whiz!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 1:33 pm

Probably most ASD B+W literature is regarding children.