Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DJ.Sprockets
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2019, 4:38 pm

Hi. I’m 46 and was unofficially diagnosed by a professional at Univ. Washington Medical Center in March of this year. I can not afford an Official Diagnosis because I only have State sponsored medical insurance. But having her tell me that I am more than likely on the Spectrum was a huge relief. Pretty much everything that has been “wrong” in my head since I started forming memories can now be explained. For that I am grateful.
I have only told a few people that are close to me, but I’m apprehensive about going public with it because I don’t have that Official Diagnosis. I also don’t want to sound like I’m using it as an excuse for what people consider rude behavior. I’m afraid of what people will think of me after I tell them and I believe I’m woefully unprepared for the slew of questions they may ask.
I especially don’t want to talk to my family about it. Not that they are horrible people in any way, it’s that I just want to be done with my past life (when I still lived at home before I left at age 25), and we’ve never really talked about anything more significant than the weather.
I should stop there before I get really deep into it. I just wanted to say ‘hi’ and maybe find some people in my area that are in the same boat.
Thanks.

Currently reading - Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management by Nick Dubin
Just read - An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed by Gillian Drew

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

03 Aug 2019, 4:54 pm

Hello and welcome.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 10:52 pm

Seattle has an in-person support/social group you might want be interested in: The Square Peg Social Club of Washington, for autistic adults, with meetings in various cities in Washington state including Seattle. See also its Meetup site here.

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

DJ.Sprockets
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2019, 1:05 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Hello and welcome.

Thanks!

DJ.Sprockets
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2019, 1:06 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Seattle has an in-person support/social group you might want be interested in...

Wonderful! I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 5:21 am

Hi, I also found my recent diagnosis provided me with a lot of answers, but I’m frightened to tell people too, just in case they misunderstand.

I feel I need to do my own research on autism and work out what it means to me first before telling too many people. That way I have my own answers inside of me. Sorry to hear your communication with your family isn't up to the discussion

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 1:23 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 3:23 pm

Welcome to WP. You don't have to tell anyone. Get used to the idea yourself first. Just my 2c.

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich