Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

eternal suffering
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2019, 10:34 am

When I was first diagnosed with autism I refused to accept it, even though I had little idea of what it entailed. I'm not sure why exactly, I suppose we instinctively desire not to be different as it can be dangerous to stand out amongst the tribe as we rely on social acceptance and group cohesion for survival. Maybe I just didn't want to be labeled and put in a box. After reading about the condition everything started making sense though and I could no longer stick my head in the sand. I was just wondering if this was a common response to an autism diagnosis.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 10:50 am

I was diagnosed with AS 20 years ago and I'm still partially in denial today. Well, I can talk about it here and accept it sometimes, but I still hang on to that bit of hope that I was perhaps misdiagnosed. If I see that I have a symptom that I always thought I didn't have, I get all depressed.

love2connect
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm

Yes. I got diagnosed on Friday and I am in denial.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 7:08 pm

Not at all. I'd been wondering what it was in our family for decades.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2019, 7:28 pm

Nope, but I was diagnosed at an older age (43) and I'm guessing most in the older age brackets were specifically suspecting autism if they went through the evaluation process but I could be totally wrong.

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2019, 7:58 pm

Nope! In fact, I was glad to be diagnosed because it explained all the troubles and weirdness of my life and made me feel better about being odd. I was glad to have answers.

Allbymyself
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2019, 2:49 pm

Yes when I was younger I hated any kind of psyche label and would take offense if you called me aspergers or anything else. It was not until I was about 33 did I finally get the autism because I found forums on line like wrong planet but mine was a different web site for aspergers and I started reading the little snippets people left up there about their lives and I started relating that is when I knew and became open and accepting of my autism. It took me awhile longer to get my head around the other stuff like ocd and anxiety. But today I am ok with it and understand it explains a lot and realize it is just part of me. In fact without it I could not leave my experience here and hope it helps you with out it.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 3:06 pm

I've never been "in denial."

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:14 pm

I wasn’t in denial, I found out about my Aspergers in my 20s, I was at therapy with my mom, she accepted my Aspergers. My older sister was in denial about my Cerebral Pasly, she didn’t want a handicap sister that what my mom told me. My sister is in denial about my Aspergers & my dad, my grandmother thinks she is too old to learn about my Aspergers.

kmarie57
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2019, 6:37 pm

I keep going back and forth between denial and acceptance. I was told on July 19th this year that I meet the criteria, and I found it very hard to believe. I am slowly coming around to the things about me that do fit, but I still hold firmly to the things that I believe don't fit. My therapist tells me that even though he can see that I've made progress in accepting it, I still am obviously resisting.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:46 pm

kmarie57 wrote:
I keep going back and forth between denial and acceptance. I was told on July 19th this year that I meet the criteria, and I found it very hard to believe. I am slowly coming around to the things about me that do fit, but I still hold firmly to the things that I believe don't fit. My therapist tells me that even though he can see that I've made progress in accepting it, I still am obviously resisting.

We call it the Autism Spectrum because it is a spectrum. Your therapist is maybe expecting you to hit so many spectral lines that you can't talk. Only about 10% of "experts" really understand their subject - the rest cheated on tests and try to imitate the talent, but they are a hazard.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm

It would have been funny had I been "in denial" when I was 3 years old :jester:

I would have been a pretty smart little tot, indeed!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would have been funny had I been "in denial" when I was 3 years old :jester:

I would have been a pretty smart little tot, indeed!

Denial does not require smarts. At three, I was in total denial about Santa being related to my family.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:04 pm

I meant being able to know whether I was actually "weird" or not....

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:12 pm

I was assessed April 2018, and although I haven't been in denial I did go through a period of mixed feelings. I wasn't upset about actually being autistic, but I was shocked that I'd fallen through the cracks completely unaided and without support my whole life. Why didn't my parents, teachers or doctors see that I needed help? I had to reassess my life through a new lens. I'm proud to be autistic and glad that I have found a community, but I feel badly for the young girl I was, who was so alone and afraid.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:34 pm

I was not in denial. I needed the diagnosis to validate my existence. I have no desire or need to be part of the tribe.

Wreck It Ralph