Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2019, 4:14 am

why do you think it seems easier for someone to get a job over someone else? i find that co-workers with the same amount of experience as me have an easier time finding another job. i've known people who would start at a job then within a couple weeks they end up quitting because they got offered another job and accepted it whereas i've been looking and applying for a new job for weeks and i haven't gotten a single response or interview.

do you think its how they present themselves or do you think its just that they just have a better resume even if they don't have that much experience to begin with?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 4:33 am

I was once in the very strange position (and I don't know how it happened) that I was interviewing applicants for a job... and they were all professional accountants. It's an eye opener when you're on the other side of the table. I would say, once you've actually got an interview and you're sitting there, it's all down to presentation and how you come across. The difference between candidates (even if they're all professionally qualified) is startling.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 10:15 am

Certain personality have easier time at finding jobs

Outgoing, fun, funny, friendly

Extrovert

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 11:48 am

Getting a job (or a date) is mainly about presentment. If you don't present well, then you're unlikely to get a job (or a date). Once you do get a job (or a date), it's up to you to make an even better impression with your attitude, talents and social skills.

It never ceases to amaze me how closely the first job interview resembles the first blind date. Sometimes it's "Love At First Sight", sometimes it's an immediate turn-off, but usually it's somewhere in-between.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 12:00 pm

There are many variables that come into play.

You have to be in the right spot at the right time. If you apply for a job when there are no vacancies, it can be time wasted. In large companies, hiring is done through the personnel department. Sometimes these departments perform interviews just to have a list of perspective candidates to pick from should a vacancy arise. It is very impersonal. But sometimes within a large company, there are managers that really need people but their needs are overlooked by upper management. So talking directly with these managers that need people gets you closer to a job offer.

Sometimes knowing someone in the company can get you a foot in the door.

Many jobs are not entry level jobs, they require a degree of experience. So you need to take whatever experience that you have developed and market it effectively.

Sometimes it can be by the way you look and your appearance. So always show up for the interview well dressed. I remember one time I applied for a warehouseman job. I had no experience. I showed up in a suite and tie. There were hundreds of others that showed up. Many in tee shirts and jeans and I was the only one in a suite and tie. And I was selected for the job.

It can be how you present yourself during the interview. Even with a well written resume, if you come across wrong, you might not be hired. I had a manager that judged applicants by their handshake. If they couldn't give a firm handshake, he would interpret that they had a wishy-washy personality, so he wouldn't hire them.

Also it is wise to research the company. Know the type of work that they do. Figure out how you can fit into the company, how you can become an asset. And then when the interview happens, bring these points out. But at the same time be open to other possibilities that they might propose.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2019, 9:58 pm

It's a good question. I've had a hard time getting any jobs, even low-paying ones. Even when I compare myself to other people who majored in what I did (which admittedly wasn't the most practical area of study), I come out behind. I make less than the average person who never set foot in a college. Yes, some of those people just learned trades, but I also know people working office jobs who never got beyond high school.

Also, I've never really been able to overcome the whole "you need experience to get a job, but you can't experience without getting a job" Catch-22.