Do you think aspie women care less about fashion?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:29 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Caring about fashion and caring about looking good are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. Caring about fashion is following what's "in" at the moment and making your appearance like that, while caring about looking good is simply making yourself look like what you think looks good. Of course, a person can care about both at once, but they aren't one and same thing.

This, in a nutshell - there are plenty of people who ignore trends but have excellent taste and sense of style and they will often be better dressed and looking than "fashionable" people. It's not uncommon for others to try to imitate them and they ironically end up as "trend-setters" :twisted:

I try not to focus on what’s in. I have a feeling like I’m confusing fashion with personal style. So yeah I agree with this.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:38 pm

Personal style would be the right word - some people seem to have an innate (honed with experience) sense for what suits them, what goes well with what etc.

It's hard to explain, but I've seen women who look a lot more elegant in a pair of jeans and a button-down shirt then others do in a suit or "fancy" outfit. I've been studying all I could about body language and non-verbal communication for a long time, and accessories, cut of clothing, choice of colour and posture play and huge role in the impression we make on others. The devil is in the details.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:42 pm

High heels are not only uncomfortable but they can really damage your feet! It's almost as bad as those poor little girls in China who once had to wear tiny shoes to keep their feet from growing. That's why my berserk button was pressed, and pressed hard when I first first heard this aspie woman saying she wears them to be fashionable. 8O

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 2:08 am

When I was younger I tried to look more fashionable but there was never any interest. I was just trying to fit in and be accepted. To this day I don't understand why people bother. It's expensive and time consuming and seems shallow and pointless to me.
I now won't wear anything uncomfortable nor care what anyone else thinks about my appearance. If I want to look 'acceptable' I wear plain simple things . Otherwise ugly suits me fine. :mrgreen:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 2:20 am

Fashion as in what's "in" and trendy among women of the day?

Or fashion as in "out there, cutting edge, idiosyncratic" stuff?

I can see a subset of Aspie women being in the latter group. I think by the virtue of being Aspie, many of us aren't into --or even aware-- of what's "in" in regards to anything.

But I dunno.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 5:10 am

I only care a little bit about fashion. I shop mostly in thrift stores, so I do check trends to make sure I don't look TOO outdated. The current trends are great with all these casual, stretchy clothes, loose fitting skirts and blouses and big coats. Of course if you always buy new stuff you'd be sure they're trendy. I like the thrill of finding things that suit me, are comfortable, cheap and not outdated yet. :) About once a year I'll buy some new clothes, but I get more satisfaction from thrifted ones. :D

I do think aspie women care about looking good. They just don't put up with uncomfortable clothes.

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 5:33 am

I'm interested in clothes and style, but in my own way. I don't care for what's "trendy", I just like something because I like it myself. I like thrift stores, I like searching for certain clothing online.0 I sometimes get told I look gothic or very 70's etc - I would say my style is a mixture of 60's - 80's rock and related culture. I am not into makeup in where I will talk about it with other women, but I like using it and I do a lot of dark eye makeup. It's another form of self expression. I always get comments about how great my eye makeup is or about my hair. I am sensitive, so I swing more towards certain fabrics and it took me a long time to get used to wearing makeup. I don't really have any Aspie women friends. I used to wear over-sized clothing and only sneakers. I love boots. These days I have and do wear platform heel boots sometimes - I find it actually helps with my posture and forces me to practice standing up straight as you cannot walk well in heels if you are slouched. I wear band t shirts just about every day. I don't mind some tight fitted clothing. One of my favorite outfits that I feel most attractive in is a tight fitted catsuit - I am gradually feeling more confident about my body.

For what I look like, I'm sure someone can navigate their way to picture thread in member's only section.

I feel that sometimes people feel a little cheated when they judge me based on my look. Loud, edgy makeup, dark, different outfits - They assume I'm going to be outgoing, but I'm extremely shy and I forget how confident I felt when I saw myself in the mirror earlier and get self conscious.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 8:03 am

Fashion is useful in that it determines what styles of clothes you can buy off the rack. Most of us can't sew our own clothes. And some of us can't do or afford alterations.

Crop styles are really nice if you are petite like I am. Normally I'd hem shirts down to the crop length. Now I can buy them off the shelf at that length!

billowing
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Sep 2019, 11:45 am

i can't be bothered with clothes, i just wear comfortable and practical stuff, and i don't care about looking pretty, either, i hate getting that kinda attention from men. i even buy clothes from the men's section.
the few asd girls i know are similar. in my experience women with asd tend to have a very personal style that can be really unique.

on the other hand though, i like high fashion and some distinct fashion scenes, just because of the aesthetics, but i could never be able to construct elaborate, pretty outfits for myself to wear. i'll just stick with t shirts and sweats :mrgreen:

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2019, 4:27 pm

Yes and no because I know that there are lots of extremely girly women on the spectrum who love dressing up, wearing the latest trends, make up, doing their nails, getting their hair done and wearing perfume, some that care about fashion but aren't obsessed with it and are more down to earth and other women on the spectrum that are more tomboyish. The tomboyish women aren't really into fashion trends and girly things; they have a more masculine style and wear what's comfortable to them, not what's in style. Btw, I am a tomboy woman myself and I'm 20 years old.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 5:00 pm

I know I personally don't care at all about fashion, I just wear jeans and T-shirts all the time.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2019, 11:08 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I know I personally don't care at all about fashion, I just wear jeans and T-shirts all the time.

Same here. Most of the time, I wear jeans, t-shirts, Adidas sweatpants/sweatshirts, hoodies, track suits, soccer shorts, sneakers, crocs flip flops and baseball caps.

Twinleaf
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2019, 6:48 pm

I like to dress pretty/stylish but I stopped following most of what's considered trendy a while ago. The fashion that's come out in the last few years seems to be recycling trends that were "in" when I was a kid and I've seen multiple things that I think should not have come back.

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2019, 7:15 am

I like my nails different colors

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 12:03 pm

I am a living autistic fashion doll.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 5:13 pm

I struggle with trying to look presentable. Between sensory issues, zero fashion sense, and feeling traumatized in women's clothes (and body), it's a challenge just to look decent enough to leave the house.