Do you think aspie women care less about fashion?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Azureth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2019, 10:56 pm

Not criticizing, just asking if you think, in general, aspie women care less about fashion/trying to look pretty than neurotypical women?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 11:07 pm

I know some Aspies have fashion as a special interest.

But, a lot of Aspies can't wear tight fitting clothes.
If you are on disability I doubt you can afford the latest fashions.

The lady who wrote Austism in Heels is willing to sacrifice a little comfort for looking good.
A nice pair of leather heels can easily cost as much as expensive sneakers. The really good ones cost more. 8O

Like everything else about autism, we have a wide spectrum.

Last edited by BTDT on 09 Aug 2019, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 11:13 pm

It depends how you define "fashion" or "trying to look pretty". I don't follow fashion at all, don't know any designers, and I hate shopping. That being said, as an autistic person I like to wear soft skirts or dresses because they are more comfortable that anything tight or form fitting. I won't wear tight or uncomfortable clothes / fabrics. I do wear jeans sometimes of course, but they aren't very comfortable either.

I suppose skirts and blouses might be considered stereotypically "pretty", but they aren't always in fashion these days. There is a disconnect between fashion vs. pretty in some people's minds. Fashion is often more sexy or bold than pretty.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:52 am

Caring about fashion and caring about looking good are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. Caring about fashion is following what's "in" at the moment and making your appearance like that, while caring about looking good is simply making yourself look like what you think looks good. Of course, a person can care about both at once, but they aren't one and same thing.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 6:41 am

More like comfort and practicality is prioritized.

If I had such interest or priority, I'd focus at the craft of sewing at some point.
And create the most comfortable, fashionable, and best looking wears tailored for myself -- than having to bug for expensive and less comfortable wears.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2019, 11:08 am

It's true for me. I've never had the interest or the aptitude for fashion, and can't stand wearing anything uncomfortable (such as tight clothing, itchy fabrics, or dangly jewelry) anyway.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 11:32 am

Many of us aspie women prefer clothing that is functional and comfortable. And the more "fashionable" clothing is, the less functional and comfortable it usually is. Also we really don't get what the big deal is. Teenagers claiming they want to be an individual by wearing what all the other kids are wearing. Makes perfect sense.

I'm so glad I'm not a teenager anymore and live in a place where most other adults don't really care how I dress as long as my clothes are clean, suitable for the weather, and I don't have my private parts all hanging out. :lol:

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 8:32 pm

I think some of them do... but fashion happens to be one of my obsessive interests and it has been for as long as I can remember. I love shop for clothes, get dressed, collect cool handbags and shoes, etc. And I know I'm not unique in that regard.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 8:46 pm

BTDT wrote:
I know some Aspies have fashion as a special interest.

But, a lot of Aspies can't wear tight fitting clothes.
If you are on disability I doubt you can afford the latest fashions.

The lady who wrote Austism in Heels is willing to sacrifice a little comfort for looking good.
A nice pair of leather heels can easily cost as much as expensive sneakers. The really good ones cost more. 8O

Like everything else about autism, we have a wide spectrum.

I don't even see how anyone can stand heels, at least higher ones I do have a pair of leather kodiak boots with a small heel and that is just fine, but the fashiony high heels I see just look like a torture device for your foot to me.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2019, 5:36 am

I know that fashion is not one of my prime interests and never has been. It depends on the Aspie girl though. I have met others who like fashion more. I'd say it's probably common for us aspie women to not stereotypically like fashion as others may expect. How comfortable the clothing is, sensory related things can play a role.

I went through a phase in middle school where I obsessed more over makeup, how I looked but it was more about wanting to fit in. I had other interests that were much more prominent.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:50 am

All things being equal, yes

But not all things are equal

There are a lot of aspie women and a wide range

But aspie women could care less about fashion than NT women because

Sensory issue

Aspies earn less $$$ than NTs

Aspies have fewer friends and romances than NTs

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 10:28 pm

I think Aspies in general are going to be more inclined to go for what is most comfortable. For some that may mean clothes that may not be real flattering.

I don't particularly care about high style and trends. But I do like nice(something that fits my aesthetics) clothes. I have a lot of anxiety so being able to dress myself in an attractive/flattering way has actually helped me feel better and more confident.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 7:32 am

I an aspie and I care more about fashion but as long as it doesn't trigger my sensory issues. There are other aspie women who care about fashion including Jennifer O'Toole.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 10:55 am

I am a self proclaimed autistic fashion doll so yes I love fashion and looking good. I’m sure to check my outfits, makeup, hair and overall appearance before leaving the house.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:26 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Caring about fashion and caring about looking good are two different things that don't always go hand in hand. Caring about fashion is following what's "in" at the moment and making your appearance like that, while caring about looking good is simply making yourself look like what you think looks good. Of course, a person can care about both at once, but they aren't one and same thing.

This, in a nutshell - there are plenty of people who ignore trends but have excellent taste and sense of style and they will often be better dressed and looking than "fashionable" people. It's not uncommon for others to try to imitate them and they ironically end up as "trend-setters" :twisted:

Last edited by BenderRodriguez on 13 Aug 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:29 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

This, in a nutshell - there are plenty of people who ignore trends but have excellent taste and sense of style and they will often be better dressed and looking than "fashionable" people. It's not uncommon for others to try to imitate them and they ironically end up as "trend-setters" :twisted:

I try not to focus on what’s in. I have a feeling like I’m confusing fashion with personal style. So yeah I agree with this.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre