Do you think aspie women care less about fashion?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:58 pm

Most important comfy , secondly as a costumer for con - peeps its the little things that make the whole . Sometimes comfort takes second place ..but in reality it all depends what the days plans are used to not care. Now wearing many hats , seems must wear activity apropriate . Many health issues dictate daily wear but if its yard work or labourious outside.. grubbies.. jeans. Old army uniforms , fatigues , & stuff . But only shop thrift mostly. My clothes like informal armour , keep me from getting scratched alot when doing tough stuff . :oops: or just clumsy .But coffee shops find me in dresses to jeans , and strangley enough , very lucky when colours or patterns work well. Likes boots but have trouble making them work . Hint: borax put in laundry wash 1 cup with normal wash soap helps soften stuff . Jeans, whatever. Just a thought.

where ever you go ,there you are

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2019, 5:03 pm

I think it depends on the individual. I like to wear comfortable clothes that don't draw attention to my secondary parts, but are flattering. My outfits always have to look good in color and tone, even pajamas.
It's fairly hard to find something I'm comfortable in due to the fact that most clothes in the stores I go to are either sexy or have lightweight fabric for half of the year. I only shop during the autumn/winter fashion season (except undergarments), and even then I have to be picky due to the fact that women's shirts are thin, excepting a few brands/styles. The sweaters are never warm and heavy enough, all of my best are from a thrift store. Even pants are hard. I have to feel denim first because I like the thicker kind, but I wear corduroys during winter due to the fact that the wind will go through my jeans.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 3:37 pm

I like fashion in theory, I like seeing cool outfits, but in real life I don't feel like bothering to be fashionable and I just wear what's comfortable.

randomusername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2019, 7:19 pm

I think that the percentage of Aspie women who don’t care about fashion is larger than the percentage of NTs that don’t. Of course, that’s not to say that plenty of Aspie women don’t like fashion.
(As for me, personally, I don’t care care about fashion, I buy a bunch of the same things, and essentially wear the same thing everyday. I don’t know why, I’m just comfortable and fashion’s just not important on me.)

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 1:27 pm

I love fashion! My main issue is my unconventional taste. I love long, flowing skirts, long sleeves, very feminine and slightly formal. I love how I look when I look in the mirror, but then on campus people can automatically peg me as weird or different.

Recently I picked out a shirt and skirt at Target that looked gorgeous to me. But I ended up putting them back because I didn't want to stand out.

I've also been told that people notice that I almost never wear pants. It's not an ideological thing. I just don't like pants.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 1:35 am

I am sure that you look magnificent. I also dressed like you when I was young. I still prefer long dresses to pants. Wear whatever you love sweety, you are beautiful and other people's opinions, well, they really don't determine who we are.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 1:40 am

I have an aspie female friend who only wears black. I did buy her a red kimono jacket which she wears for special occasions. She wears similar things daily but she still is interested in fashion and loves my colorful clothes.

nickolasprohas
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2019, 1:48 am

So yeah I agree with this.

Lizbeth Ann

02 Dec 2019, 4:17 pm

I love high fashion but I could be the exception. However, on my down time I like to wear sweats/pjs and t-shirts. I don’t wear makeup or do my hair on my free time. It cost too much emotional energy.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 10:00 pm

All things equal, which they are not, it sounds to me like, autistic men and women, care less about fashion than neurotypical men and women

Autistics usually , not always, have fewer friends and romantic relationships, than neurotypicals

Sensory processing dysfunction

Fewer precious lil "people" to impress

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 5:54 am

I wouldn't necessarily say that I care any less about fashion... But I will say that I tend to care less about OTHER PEOPLE'S fashion. I consider myself as having a rather unique sense of fashion.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 1:55 pm

I really care about being comfortable more than anything and I have a few outfits that I will rotate between. My sensory issues prevent me from wearing some fabrics that I think look nice on other people (like jeans and woven shirts, like plaid shirts) but I'm pretty much only comfortable in stretchy, knit fabrics. I'm also overweight so I try to wear things that don't draw attention to me and my size but at the same time, I like to wear things I think are fun and that make me feel happy, such as shirts with graphics I like.

My Tumblr

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2020, 4:31 pm

Personally I would like to wear some of the newest fashion but I can't because any type of clothing with the seams coming undone will rub up against my skin and makes it so painful that I feel like I have dry skin peeling so I try to find clothes with the least amount of seams if possible. And I also can't wear tight fitting clothes because I need to feel free and not like I'm being suffocated. So, I usually wear tank tops, loose shorts (usually bermuda), loose fitting jeans, leggings, and sweatshirts and pretty much get everything a size bigger so that it's not too tight. And my sisters pretty much tease me over why I only wear leggings in the winter time. Does anyone have any suggestions on good clothing stores that have clothing that would work for an autistic person?

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 4:43 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
I love fashion! My main issue is my unconventional taste. I love long, flowing skirts, long sleeves, very feminine and slightly formal. I love how I look when I look in the mirror, but then on campus people can automatically peg me as weird or different.

Recently I picked out a shirt and skirt at Target that looked gorgeous to me. But I ended up putting them back because I didn't want to stand out.

I've also been told that people notice that I almost never wear pants. It's not an ideological thing. I just don't like pants.

I'm this way too. I love flowy skirts and dresses. I find pants uncomfortable unless I'm going to be walking around (and not sitting). People often remark that I'm dressed too fancy, especially now in this corn field of a state I'm living in. I usually don't care what they think -- I'm happy dressing how I like to dress. But I wish more people would dress up, because sometimes I feel very out of place. For instance, I see going out to a nice restaurant as a special occasion to dress nicely for (because it's fun :mrgreen: ) but when everyone else is dressed extra casual I stick out. I prefer to go unnoticed while also enjoying myself.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 1:18 pm

I love fashion too! I taught myself to sew from a young age and both buy and sew clothes that are currently in fashion. I have an appreciation for vintage as well as current fashion though, and am sewing something along the lines of these for Christmas ...