Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2019, 2:14 am

I'm currently at a height of 185 cm and my weight is 95 kilograms. Indeed, I need to lose atleast 10 kilograms more to call myself a normal weight person and feel proud about it.
I have to wear XXXL shirts without appearing as if the shirt is too small on me. Yes, I know it's embarassing sometimes.
I try to eat better and do sports, but I just don't always have the patience for it. Also, whenever I see something delicious I eat it, even if I know it's going to make me even fatter. Nobody is there to stop me before I eat a cake, or a snack, or chocolate, etc. I feel guilty most of the time about it.
Also, I work at a local store and my work is not physical, and I finish at about 6-7pm and go straight back home without much time left for physical exercise. What can I do about that? I really don't know.
Are you guys overweight too? How do you deal with this problem?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 2:44 am

The easiest way to losing weight is to count calories and eat less. Also what time do you go into work? Perhaps you can work out before work? You don't need to join the gym, you can find some workout videos on youtube or buy some work out DVDs and work out at home.

You can also stop buying sweets and junk food and you will be forced to not eat any.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2019, 1:33 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The easiest way to losing weight is to count calories and eat less. Also what time do you go into work? Perhaps you can work out before work? You don't need to join the gym, you can find some workout videos on youtube or buy some work out DVDs and work out at home.

You can also stop buying sweets and junk food and you will be forced to not eat any.

Well, you see... what happens is whenever I tell myself "this time, I will not eat candy or junk food again", I just can't stop myself, I buy it anyways and eat it when I get back home later. This happens every time, and I don't have self control.
Also, same with a workout video. I dont even need a DVD for this, there are youtube videos of the same kind of things.
I remember I promised to myself, I will do a daily workout for about 30 minutes everyday, but that didnt happen. I also promised to myself I'll go for a daily morning 60 minute walk in the park, or maybe even walk to my work(which isnt very far away). But that didnt happen, too.
If there's nobody to remind me or tell me I must do a certain thing, I wont do it. Being single is part of the problem, I can only blame my single-ness and, to an extent, my lazyness.
I really have got to think of something that will work out this time.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 1:38 pm

I buy meat and divide it into single portions for cooking. Cooking single meals goes a long way toward weight control. I also get exercise chopping stuff up and cleaning up afterwards.

I have a sweet tooth, so I'll measure out a serving of candy and it it while making dinner. I'll often end dinner with a salad.

Restricting calorie intake makes a big difference in controlling weight.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 6:55 pm

To regulate my weight, I adjust my idea of how hungry is worth responding to. Presumably, moderate hunger and physical fatigue happen daily for fitter people, so I can claim to be feeling like [insert sports hero of choice] from time to time.
To build exercise into daily life, there's nothing better than a bicycle. Fewer than half the objections I hear to their use are valid after a short learning curve. It is totally painless to increase one's range by 10% a week until touring is easy.

amygdala_0417
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2019, 7:22 pm

Hello Noam,

It is important to know if you lose more than 2 pounds/week, it's likely that a gallbladder stone will develop, so please pace yourself!

I put on about 35 pounds after moving to the US, and managed to lose 30 over half a year without starving myself or over-exercise.

I find it useful to eat apples in between your meals as a snack, so you eat less during your main meals. Apples contain lots of fiber, creates the feeling of being full and keep your blood sugar normal. It is also important to eat maybe 6 pretty small meals and not get full during the day, rather than eating 3 huge ones. It is ok to eat meat but try eating more fish and shrimp, avoid beef and pork at all cost. DRINK A CUP OF WATER BEFORE ANY MEAL it makes your digestion better and fills your belly up a bit before the food comes in so you won't eat as much. I also drank Metamucil in between meals, which is an orange-flavored drink containing lots of fiber. I really like my diet during that time because I was never constipated. ;p

I also recently have read that depending on your genes, different diet might affect you differently. Say you have this specific gene, Atkin's diet (high fat high protein) might even be better for you. Definitely experience different kinds of food and find what is best for you! The golden rule is never eat a huge meal after not eating for a while, try breaking them up into smaller meals.

Stay happily fed, healthy and good luck!

amygdala_0417
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2019, 7:28 pm

I would also like to add that I still had a tiny chocolate cake / ice cream... something delicious everyday during my diet! The trick is to couple it with food that is healthy and you hate... It is possible to find sweets in smaller portions at the store, if you buy tiny cakes or separate your food into tinier pieces, it will be easier to still consume food you like without having too much.

For example, I hate green leaf salad but love salmon. So I will cook myself a piece of salmon, but also give myself a huge bowl of green leaf with vinegar (also drinking a bit of vinegar every day is good for your digestion, I do not have sources to confirm this tho). I usually just stuff my mouth with green leaf and chew and chew until i finish half a bowl... Then I take my first bite of salmon and I feel like I have just gone to heaven... It actually motivates me to eat more green leaves because the salmon I have is so little and tasty, I must finish the leaf and enjoy the salmon at the end!! !

You can also try to chew your food 20 times before swallowing them, so you eat slower and when you eat slower, your brain is fooled into thinking that you are full earlier. And it helps digestion, as well.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Aug 2019, 1:25 am

Noam2353 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Well, you see... what happens is whenever I tell myself "this time, I will not eat candy or junk food again", I just can't stop myself, I buy it anyways and eat it when I get back home later. This happens every time, and I don't have self control.
Also, same with a workout video. I dont even need a DVD for this, there are youtube videos of the same kind of things.
I remember I promised to myself, I will do a daily workout for about 30 minutes everyday, but that didnt happen. I also promised to myself I'll go for a daily morning 60 minute walk in the park, or maybe even walk to my work(which isnt very far away). But that didnt happen, too.
If there's nobody to remind me or tell me I must do a certain thing, I wont do it. Being single is part of the problem, I can only blame my single-ness and, to an extent, my lazyness.
I really have got to think of something that will work out this time.
I really relate a lot to this. When my girlfriend tells me not to eat something, I wait till she goes upstairs & then eat it anyways. I used to eat only one meal a day as a kid, teen & in my 20s cuz I'm a very picky eater who couldn't cook. I'd eat really big when I ate thou. I gained a lot of weight since I moved in with my girlfriend cuz I started eating 3 meals a day partly due to meds & supplements I'm on & I'm also able to get the food I like more. It's like my body & mind are still used to me eating big so I'm still binging even thou I'm eating more meals a day. I really lack self control in this area. For a year or so after I moved here I would exercise a lot more than I do nowadays. I would lift light dumbbells a lot of days & I would go walking more often for the sake of walking. Nowadays I tell myself I'm gonna start doing that stuff again & then I forget or remember at inopportune times only to forget or get sidetracked again. I'm not really sure what changed for me but I'd guess it's cuz of stress. Me & my girlfriend both have more than our fair share of issues & her issues have gotten a lot worse cuz of things going on in her life. Her being stressed stresses me out more. I'm NOT blaming her. I have my own issues I need to work on & deal with so I can support her better & she'd be less stressed. I'm not sure how to get started working on myself more.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 1:44 am

Perhaps one can migrate to healthier snacks. Please be aware that junk food companies employ hundreds of scientists to make it as addictive as they legally can. You need to counter that with logic. I have no trouble ignoring junk at the store, but I can't keep it around. I find that if I buy chocolate with only 10 to 15% sugar, it tastes fine and works as a food/drug in moderation. However, if there is 30% sugar, it gets consumed too quickly, and at 50%, I have to be careful with rationing.
This spring, I fixed up a supply of the trail mix I used to keep around when I was younger, and quickly regained gained 5 hard-lost pounds.
One caveat: Especially if you weigh yourself frequently, you may start shorting yourself on water, to easily shed a kilo "on paper." However, being dehydrated, you will have low energy, and conserve your calories. It takes a lot of extra water to burn your own fat, so drinking a lot may be the best place to start. 80% of the patients in Emergency are clinically dehydrated. Filling up on water may even replace a snack - our hungers are easily confused or combined.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 1:56 am

Hello. Yes. I think a great deal of the advice given by the above forum members is good.

I would say that 10 kilo's isn't the biggest amount of weight to lose. So with a little bit of self control, you should be able to achieve this results in a couple of months.

By the sounds of things, the cause does sound to be diet. As eating a lot of candy and soda can easily pile on 10 kilos of weight.

If i were you, i would try and diet several days of the week. See how you feel and perhaps have carb loading days as well. Say every 4th day.

For diet days, i recommend going on a fruit / raw or steamed veg + salad / protein / water diet.
Where you eat fruit for breakfast, raw and steamed veg / salad for one meal / and a lean protein meal for the 3rd meal.
Perhaps snacking with fruit again.

It is absolutely necessary to cut all full sugar soda out of your diet, ideally all soda, as diet soda contains salt and other toxins that cause you to hold onto to water and other causes for holding on to fat.
Do not drink smoothies, as although fruit smoothies are delicious, healthy and full of nutrition, they are cram packed with calories and you will not lose weight.

Water is the supreme drink for health especially for losing weight.

The Gracie Jiu Jitsu family recommend that people drink a pint of water when they wake up and before they go to bed, this is to insure optimum rehydration.

As others have mentioned in this post, also drink before you eat.
Or better still, drink water instead of eating. As sometimes when you are feeling hungry, your body doesn't actually need food but needs water but your brain tells you to eat food instead, so you eat and put on weight even though you don't need to eat.

Try drinking water every time you are hungry and not eating. This can work.

Also, try and fight hunger pangs, so when your stomach starts to grumble and you get a tiny weeny little bit of pain.
Tell yourself, that it isn't that bad and the sensation will pass.

If you can do this for a few minutes, the sensation indeed will pass and you will end up feeling O.K.
The more you do this, the easier it becomes.

It is like a Jedi mind training trick!

With regards to veg, i recommend carrots and peppers raw, as they are fairly tasty and fairly cheap.
With regards to veg, you can always add some vinaigrette to flavour.

Same for protein, sources of low calorie lean protein for meat eaters is chicken and for vegetarians, quorn etc.
I recommend finding the leanest version and if necessary add a little condiments / sauce, to keep it interesting.

If you can, it would even be good to go cold turkey with the candies. As this is the ultimate for cutting empty calories out of your diet. Swap calories for fruit, if you still need some sugar in your diet.

If you completely cut all refined sugars out of your diet, you may experience with drawl / blood sugar drop.
This can make you extremely irritable, and is like a hang over and you will crave sugar more than anything.
This sensation can last for a few days, perhaps a week or so. Making you grumpy and even experiencing a headache.

I recommend taking paracetamol for the headache, ideally with a little food such as fruit, and eventually your body will adjust and not need the fast High Glycemic index sugars any more.

Eventually, your body will stop craving fast sugars, soda, candies etc.
And you will start to really enjoy the taste of natural whole foods such as fruits, veg and especially water.

Water becomes a really enjoyable experience that is less boring once you have got rid of all the addictive crap out of your system.

Anyway. good luck.