Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2019, 9:40 pm

Hi! I am interested in studying or even living in another city (maybe even country), but I'm worried about being alone or not having friends or family for a long period of time (at least 3 years).

I want to ask you, have some of you been alone for a period of time of years? If yes, did you stay with a good mental health? Or a good mood? Do you recommend it for others?

I think that we as AS get along better with loneliness, but I want to hear opinions of people who have actually experiencied it.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:18 pm

I had interactions, but was essentially alone for most of my childhood/young adulthood. When I was very young, I desired company. But after so many years of interactions (at school), but relative isolation (at home), it went away. So, I think it depends on whether or not you are used to having people around you.
Even if you don't interact much, but are used to having people milling about, you might have trouble. If you are used to doing everything alone, with no company, you'll probably do well.

My two cents, anyway.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ashinystone
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2019, 8:10 am

I think it depends on how isolated you will be, and what your own needs for social interaction are, I believe. When I was younger I would spend all of my time alone, only ever interaction with my parents occasionally, and that was enough and fulfilling for me. By the time I had reached middle school age, I regularly interacted with peers, but I had stopped talking for the most part to the three people I care about the most and as a result, felt constantly lonely even though I was technically more social than I ever had been before.

So really it all comes down to yourself and knowing what you need. But also there's always skype for people back home, special interest clubs in new cities, and the internet so if you think it will fun and a good experience for you do it!