Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2019, 10:59 pm

I just can't understand, seems the quickest way to harassment. Could it be a lack of imagination? Because, unless they like the hounding and potential death threats, fame would lead to anxiety. I consider it more of a success to have done some things without attracting attention, for as long, than to be focused on...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 11:04 pm

Wealth, Popularity, Dates, Celebrity Perks and Privileges, Vacations away from home, More eclectic choices of friends, Better food, clothing, accommodations, Better medical care, Ownership of corporations, AAA-rated stock portfolios, Other people's jealousy...

Need I go on?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2019, 11:41 pm

They can all be obtained without fame. The more famous someone is the less they're able to enjoy a holiday too due to paparazzi.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 12:10 am

Weirdness wrote:
They can all be obtained without fame.
Not all at once. Celebrity Perks and Privileges, for example, can only be obtained with fame. Popularity is essential to fame, too. The more popular you are, the more famous you are.
Weirdness wrote:
The more famous someone is the less they're able to enjoy a holiday too due to paparazzi.
Have you any idea how easy it is to change one's appearance? I once sat in the same row as all the members of KISS, and had no idea until the stewardess asked "Mr. Stanley" if he and his friends needed anything. I shared a cab in New York with Carl Sagan, and nobody bothered us. I see lots of celebrities at Disneyland, and they seem to have no trouble with fans or the media. Some loud-mouthed woman at the Griffith Observatory parking lot turned out to be Roseanne Barr/Arnold/whatever, and people stayed away from her. Do you really think that all celebrities are surrounded by paparazzi 24/7? In the real world, they're not.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2019, 1:51 am

99.9% of people would walk past 99.9% of "famous" people without even realising they are/were "famous".

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2019, 1:54 am

I suppose Sagan could have been approached by people looking for an interesting conversation, but generally I don't think it's a positive (and sure, popularity is fame, if one isn't wanted the other is included presumably). For the worst case scenario, see e.g. the recent incident with KyoAni (and individually here they weren't even famous, but as an organization it was), unhinged people can easily commit mass murder, so people on their own are even more vulnerable unless they have a circle of security which, I think, isn't worth the fame to begin with if it can be helped...

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2019, 3:53 am

Weirdness wrote:
I just can't understand, seems the quickest way to harassment. Could it be a lack of imagination? Because, unless they like the hounding and potential death threats, fame would lead to anxiety. I consider it more of a success to have done some things without attracting attention, for as long, than to be focused on...

Any ultra-wealthy 'celebrity' with any sense surely hires someone to read unpleasant messages.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

11 Aug 2019, 4:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Weirdness wrote:
I shared a cab in New York with Carl Sagan, and nobody bothered us.

Did he say much?

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 5:44 am

I wouldn't like to be famous. I'd rather make all my mistakes under cover of anonymity.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 5:55 am

IMHO it is mostly the wrong sorts of people who have riches and fame. in fact, i wouldn't p!$$ on many such folk if they were on fire.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 6:10 am

The great silent-film comedian Harold Lloyd had a simple trick to make life as America's most famous funnyman that much easier.

When he played in his movies, all of them after 1916, he wore a pair of horn-rimmed glasses. And when he finished a movie he took off his glasses and went home. Nobody knew it was him and most people liked him.

Fame is what you make of it, and how you deal with it depends on the person.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 6:41 am

Seek success, not fame. Yes, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are well-known, but they are also the most successful men in their field. Denis Istomin's name isn't as well-known as that of many other tennis players but he, too, has been successful in life. He has overcome great odds to succeed in tennis.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

11 Aug 2019, 7:13 am

IstominFan wrote:
Seek success, not fame. Yes, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are well-known, but they are also the most successful men in their field. Denis Istomin's name isn't as well-known as that of many other tennis players but he, too, has been successful in life. He has overcome great odds to succeed in tennis.

I had the same thought. My example is Lady Gaga versus Paris Hilton

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 7:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Wealth, Popularity, Dates, Celebrity Perks and Privileges, Vacations away from home, More eclectic choices of friends, Better food, clothing, accommodations, Better medical care, Ownership of corporations, AAA-rated stock portfolios, Other people's jealousy...

Need I go on?

Agreed, other than the popularity, dates and jealousy; I'd hate those three things. What could be better than piles of money though?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 8:26 am

taking those piles of money and fixing the social problems with it.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 8:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
taking those piles of money and fixing the social problems with it.

Yeah, but you first need to get that money in order to do that. Being some kind of popular celebrity would be one way to do it.