Film where elite liberals hunt deplorables cancelled

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:32 am

StayFrosty wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I say let it play. It is obviously not based in reality. If the goal was for it to be realistic, it would need to be set in Appalachia to see how truly well Antifa would do. Thus far, all the coverage of successful violence has taken place in hoighty toighty places where people have all their teeth.

I'd pay good money to see an Antifa come up against one of those 'wrong turn' families who have never left the 'holler.' They'd be dangling upside down by a bear trap and served as Sunday dinner.

I get a kick out of this stuff. Fact is, there's a LOT of this country that Antifa has no clue about. And I would love to see the looks on their faces.
I would imagine many of the people in the Appalachian Mountains would have a "No Trespassing" sign on their property. You don't mess with Mountain Men on their turf. You just don't.

Yes, I agree. They won't ask for your political affiliation, all you need be is a stranger. I think that Antifas believe that these 'soft' run ins they have in cities are the very best the US has to offer with regard to opposition.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:50 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Universal pulls release of "The Hunt" following pressure from Trump, Fox News
Quote:
controversy has erupted over Universal's decision to pull "The Hunt" — a horror satire in which wealthy elitists hunt so-called "deplorables" for sport — after the film was attacked by conservatives including President Donald Trump.

Universal's decision was made after Trump tweeted on Friday that "Liberal Hollywood is Racist at the highest level, and with great Anger and Hate! They like to call themselves 'Elite,' but they are not Elite. In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite. The movie coming out is made in order to inflame and cause chaos. They create their own violence, and then try to blame others. They are the true Racists, and are very bad for our Country!"

Fox News both complained about the release of the movie and celebrated its failure to launch.

"Cancelation of ‘The Hunt’ is a victory for gun-toting, Bible-clinging patriots," wrote Fox News' Todd Starnes. As Buzzfeed News reported, the network mounted a concerted campaign against the film:

In a statement on Saturday, the studio explained that "while Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for The Hunt, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film. We stand by our filmmakers and will continue to distribute films in partnership with bold and visionary creators, like those associated with this satirical social thriller, but we understand that now is not the right time to release this film," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

There was considerable backlash on Twitter against Universal's decision.

In response to a tweet by evangelist Franklin Graham denouncing "The Hunt," film critic Mike McGranaghan observed that it's "probably a good time to point out that no one (including critics) has actually seen THE HUNT yet, so we have no idea whether it's politically charged or, if it is, what the politics are. This is a lame attempt to continue fanning the flames of an already sadly divided nation."

Scott Mendelson, a senior contributor at Forbes who covers entertainment financial news, described the cancellation of "The Hunt" as "Morally Indefensible And Financially Unavoidable" in his headline. After describing the various financial reasons why Universal may have pulled the film after the 2014 controversy surrounding another politically charged movie, "The Interview," he described the possible moral implications of the studio's decision.

Fox and Trump have learned how to no platform from the SJW's well. It's only an attack on free speech when progressives do it, got it.

And at this point, I don't care if Trump has started at it too. SJW's have done this to the other side before, so why should their side not go by the same standard anyway?

Because two wrongs don’t make a right.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 6:21 pm

lucgn01 wrote:
I figured that the movie would be a "Hunger Games" type of film where the "deplorables" rise up against the elites and are ultimately the good guys. Regardless, this is something that I'm seeing a lot on both sides of the political spectrum, where freedom of speech or expression stops functioning if it's something that you disagree with. To essentially force a project to shut down because you disagree with its message is very draconian and very worrying.

Frankly, in my opinion, this movie gets pretty close to yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater. It seems to me that, had this movie aired, it could easily have resulted in a dramatic growth of extremist right-wing militia groups.

So I'm glad this movie got cancelled. It's just ironic that it got canceled due to objections from right-wingers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 5:14 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
lucgn01 wrote:
I figured that the movie would be a "Hunger Games" type of film where the "deplorables" rise up against the elites and are ultimately the good guys. Regardless, this is something that I'm seeing a lot on both sides of the political spectrum, where freedom of speech or expression stops functioning if it's something that you disagree with. To essentially force a project to shut down because you disagree with its message is very draconian and very worrying.

Frankly, in my opinion, this movie gets pretty close to yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater. It seems to me that, had this movie aired, it could easily have resulted in a dramatic growth of extremist right-wing militia groups.

So I'm glad this movie got cancelled. It's just ironic that it got canceled due to objections from right-wingers.

We are old enough to remember when there was great fear even openly talked about in the "liberal" media that "Do The Right Thing" would cause riots. New York was very racially tense at the time in the aftermath of the Micheal Griffith and Yusef Hawkins racial killings.

Be it the riots in the 60s or mass shootings now it seems copycats are inspired by more by people actually doing things than by fictional depictions.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman