Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 3:43 am

Drinking heavily. Do some drinks weigh more then others?

Don't cry over spilt milk.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 4:57 am

'Cheap at half the price'

Yes, it would be, but it's not half the price it's the full price.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 5:03 am

'Swearing is the sign of a limited vocabulary'

Some might argue that people who swear a lot have smaller vocabularies than average (bollocks) but saying they have limited vocabularies just says you don't understand properly the meaning of the word limited. Limited is where you put put limits on something, like if you were to limit your vocabulary to non swear words.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 5:06 am

'Too many cooks spoil the broth'

There are plenty of other meats you can use, or do a bean broth.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 5:21 am

"Don't eat with your mouth full". (I used to sit there thinking "What do I do now?")

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:58 am

Low man on the totem pole (Used to signify low status, but bottom figures on a totem pole are often carved with the most intricate attention to detail)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:42 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
'Cheap at half the price'

Yes, it would be, but it's not half the price it's the full price.

Never heard that , but THAT ...IS.... a dumb expression.

It should be "cheap at DOUBLE the price!" Because that way it would mean that "even if you were to double the price it would still be cheap". Or "still be a bargain".

If you tell me that it...WOULD BE cheap if I cut the price in half ...then...WTF is your point?

Its like this common expression which I have heard: "head over heals in love".

Now think about that expression.

Where are your heels normally located in relationship to your head?

It should be "heels over head in love". :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:45 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
"Don't eat with your mouth full". (I used to sit there thinking "What do I do now?")

Your mom must have meant "don't TALK with your mouth full", and it just came out of her mouth wrong.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:46 pm

Haha. Yes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:02 pm

"Don't cry over spilled milk" make sense to me because if a farmer spills any milk while harvesting it from a cow, it can't be sold or used, so getting upset isn't going to solve anything.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
"Don't cry over spilled milk" make sense to me because if a farmer spills any milk while harvesting it from a cow, it can't be sold or used, so getting upset isn't going to solve anything.

I think of it as a child spilling milk in a cup at the breakfast table.

The saying might have originated either way (with milk consumers, or with milk producers).

And the saying makes equal sense either way. And...it makes sense! There is nothing "strange" or cryptic about the saying. it means don't make an issue out of something that's already happened that you cant do anything about. Kinda obvious.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 7:29 pm

"Just Be Nice."

Oh, really? You don't have to be nice to anyone. You can be a complete jerk and still be attractive to others because people respond to emotions. Being nice triggers no emotional response, except maybe boredom. If you make people feel anything, even anger, they will find you more appealing than if you make them feel nothing at all. People aren't attracted to niceness (they only tolerate it); they're attracted to having to earn someone's respect and approval. Become that kind of person, and save the "niceness" for dealing with dumb animals.

"Just Be Yourself."

Everybody is capable of being vain, stupid, cruel, and self-centered. Yes, really. So to most people, "Just Be Yourself" means saying whatever comes to mind, being rigid in beliefs and opinions, and dressing like a slob; it means being rude, arrogant and negative; it means being whom "everybody" believe you to be. This is all bushlit. The best way I've found to deal with people is to be the kind of person that generates respect, admiration and trust -- no, not my on-line persona, but a real-life combination of Mr. Spock, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Danny Thomas. Yes, it's an act, and I'm not being true to myself, but there are sacrifices that simply must be made to get ahead in the world, and putting on an act is one of them. Sickening, but true.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 12:13 pm

Whenever there's a sale where everything ins half-off, they usually mean the price and not the items all being cut in half.

But I once drew a comic strip when I was still a teenager that showed the latter turned out to be true, and the shopper is bewildered as she looks at clothes that have the other halves of them missing.

I still have that comic strip. I managed to save a few drawing I made in my teens, although I wish my mom had kept a few from when I was much younger. Oh well.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 3:15 pm

Along those lines, a few years ago at a shop I was working in, they sold a budget racing bike for £250. A new model came in which was identical. The same bicycle entirely, only it had blue transfers on it instead of yellow, so it looked like a new model. But every single part was the same. It was £500. I said to my workmates "No way is that five hundred pounds worth of bike". Not surprizingly, not one sold, but the older kodel occasionally sold but was slow to sell. About two weeks later a sale came on. Big glitsy cardboard advertizing gimmicks... The new bikes came down to £250 with a big sign saying "Was £500. Now £250". They sold like crazy. I was assembling and PDI'ing bikes so I was not on the sales floor. If I was I would habe said the truth to the customers as I hate deceit like that. If they had put it for sale for £250 and reduced it to £240, I would have fully backed the compny up and pushed them as a good buy. But no way will I stand by deception. In a previous company I worked for, they drummed in correct and truthful ethics into us. Our customers chose us over the competition as we would tell the truth even if it hurt our own sales in doing so (And we were encouraged to tell our customers if some other shop had a bargain to go there). What did this do? We almost doubled our customers as word got out that we were honest and were not trying to rip our customers off, and it actually massively increased our sales. It was amazing how it worked.
Yet if customers find out they have been decieved, don't expect them to come back.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

"Can't win for losing." ("Can't win for trying" is more accurate, but still a bit weak.)

"Hope against hope." (Sounds a bit redundant. "Hope against objective evidence," sounds a bit more truthful. Still, the word "hope" seems about as weak as the word "try.")

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

"Be that as it may..."

Why not just say, "Even if what you just told me is true, it is also completely irrelevant"?

Or even, "Don't confuse me with facts, as I have already made up my mind"?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.