Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,247
Location: Stendec

15 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

"Be that as it may..."

Why not just say, "Even if what you just told me is true, it is also completely irrelevant"?

Or even, "Don't confuse me with facts, as I have already made up my mind"?

:roll:


_________________
"I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."
-- Kurt Donald Cobain (1967 – 1994)


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,133
Location: temperate zone

15 Aug 2019, 5:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Be that as it may..."

Why not just say, "Even if what you just told me is true, it is also completely irrelevant"?

Or even, "Don't confuse me with facts, as I have already made up my mind"?

:roll:


You wouldn't "just" use either of those options for the obvious reason that "be that as it may" is only five syllables. and both of the other two are around twenty syllables.



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,526
Location: Wales, UK.

15 Aug 2019, 5:38 pm

The Mountain Goat Law Of Location.
You can't get lost as wherever you go, there you are!


_________________
Awaiting assessment.


fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,143
Location: England

17 Aug 2019, 8:13 am

'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,946
Location: In A Book

17 Aug 2019, 10:18 am

"It was a near miss". If you nearly miss something, doesn't that mean you hit it? nearly = almost

"Irregardless". This is a double negative which would mean "not regardless" (?) The proper word is "regardless".

"We're leaving no later than _______ (time)". So, one minute later, you won't leave?

"If you're going to (London), it will be 20 degrees and sunny". If I don't go, what will the weather be?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,133
Location: temperate zone

17 Aug 2019, 11:55 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.


That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,526
Location: Wales, UK.

17 Aug 2019, 12:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.


That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.


Here in the UK, due to EU subsidised imports Ironically the UK tax payer pays the subsidies) if you hatched chickens and paid for the costs of the food (Usually corn) and sold the hens at market value, you will have maee a substantial loss. While I don't know if it is with chickens specifically, per hen we have owned (Or currently duck, even as chicks we would lose out to sell them or even fatten them up to sell due to the retail prices of ready to cook frozen birds.


_________________
Awaiting assessment.


fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,143
Location: England

18 Aug 2019, 3:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.


That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.

Yes, but you only count the eggs. It should be 'Don't count your eggs as chickens until they're hatched.' Otherwise it's using the wrong meaning of the two similar meanings of the word count. 1)count as in 123. 2)count as in to count one thing as something else.



KikiKitty678
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2019
Age: 22
Posts: 286
Location: United States

18 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

How do you think we form habits? You can’t just make a change once. Things change when we change, repeatedly, every day.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,133
Location: temperate zone

18 Aug 2019, 11:17 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.




That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.

Yes, but you only count the eggs. It should be 'Don't count your eggs as chickens until they're hatched.' Otherwise it's using the wrong meaning of the two similar meanings of the word count. 1)count as in 123. 2)count as in to count one thing as something else.


The second point you are making is pure nonsense. You are not using two distinct meanings of the word "count". If you count your eggs now to make sure you have a hundred eggs, and then you count them weeks later and find that 80 hatched, the entity you are counting has morphed (from eggs to chicks). But the act of counting (and therefore your usage of the word "count" to denote that same activity) is exactly the same.



About your first point: I think that youre just playing dumb to troll me. You know full well that your long winded version:"dont count your eggs as chickens before they hatch" adds nothing but wasted time and verbiage to the obvious meaning of the pithy "don't count your chickens before they hatch".



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,133
Location: temperate zone

18 Aug 2019, 11:23 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

How do you think we form habits? You can’t just make a change once. Things change when we change, repeatedly, every day.


You "form a habit" because you ..LIKE the results of something that you did, ergo ...you continue to do the same thing in order to get that same result.(ie floss your teeth everyday- to get a thumbs up from your dentist).

That is the diametric opposite of the saying youre complaining about.

IF you do something and do NOT like the result, but you keep doing that same thing ANYWAY, (because you think you might get a different result form doing the same thing) then maybe that thing you are dong just aint workin', and you should try doing something else to get that other result. Or that's the idea of the saying.



fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,143
Location: England

20 Aug 2019, 6:17 am

naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.




That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.

Yes, but you only count the eggs. It should be 'Don't count your eggs as chickens until they're hatched.' Otherwise it's using the wrong meaning of the two similar meanings of the word count. 1)count as in 123. 2)count as in to count one thing as something else.


The second point you are making is pure nonsense. You are not using two distinct meanings of the word "count". If you count your eggs now to make sure you have a hundred eggs, and then you count them weeks later and find that 80 hatched, the entity you are counting has morphed (from eggs to chicks). But the act of counting (and therefore your usage of the word "count" to denote that same activity) is exactly the same.



About your first point: I think that youre just playing dumb to troll me. You know full well that your long winded version:"dont count your eggs as chickens before they hatch" adds nothing but wasted time and verbiage to the obvious meaning of the pithy "don't count your chickens before they hatch".

You're accusing me of playing dumb and trolling you just because I disagree with YOUR disagreement with MY post.

By long winded you mean you didn't understand it.

Simple explanation for naturalplastic (yes I'm surprised he needs it too but he clearly does)

YOU COUNT EGGS, even if you think they will turn into chickens you count eggs.

If it means 'don't count your chickens AS eggs until they're hatched' which is the meaning of the phrase then the phrase should be DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS AS EGGS UNTIL THEY'RE HATCHED.



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,276

20 Aug 2019, 6:27 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.




That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.

Yes, but you only count the eggs. It should be 'Don't count your eggs as chickens until they're hatched.' Otherwise it's using the wrong meaning of the two similar meanings of the word count. 1)count as in 123. 2)count as in to count one thing as something else.


The second point you are making is pure nonsense. You are not using two distinct meanings of the word "count". If you count your eggs now to make sure you have a hundred eggs, and then you count them weeks later and find that 80 hatched, the entity you are counting has morphed (from eggs to chicks). But the act of counting (and therefore your usage of the word "count" to denote that same activity) is exactly the same.



About your first point: I think that youre just playing dumb to troll me. You know full well that your long winded version:"dont count your eggs as chickens before they hatch" adds nothing but wasted time and verbiage to the obvious meaning of the pithy "don't count your chickens before they hatch".

You're accusing me of playing dumb and trolling you just because I disagree with YOUR disagreement with MY post.

By long winded you mean you didn't understand it.

Simple explanation for naturalplastic (yes I'm surprised he needs it too but he clearly does)

YOU COUNT EGGS, even if you think they will turn into chickens you count eggs.

If it means 'don't count your chickens AS eggs until they're hatched' which is the meaning of the phrase then the phrase should be DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS AS EGGS UNTIL THEY'RE HATCHED.


"Don't count your chickens as eggs until they're hatched" makes no sense at all. Natural Plastic is right on this one. Probably helps that he appears to be familiar with farms as am I.

Don't count your chickens until they are hatched, means exactly what it says. If I have 8 eggs, they are not all going to hatch, some may be infertile, the fox might get some, etc., etc. And how every many hatch, will not necessarily all grow to adulthood.

So, the words themselves make sense just as they are. From those words, a parable can be drawn, meaning roughly not counting on dreams until they are real.


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,143
Location: England

20 Aug 2019, 6:38 am

blazingstar wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
'Don't count your chickens before they've hatched'

No one counts chickens before they're hatched. If it hasn't hatched, it's an egg, so you count eggs. Even if you were confident of a 100% survival rate you would still count eggs and then think I have six eggs therefor I will have six chickens.




That's the very point of the saying.

The temptation is to count your eggs as if they were full grown chickens already sold to market, and … to daydream about the income you would get from said sold chickens.

Yes, but you only count the eggs. It should be 'Don't count your eggs as chickens until they're hatched.' Otherwise it's using the wrong meaning of the two similar meanings of the word count. 1)count as in 123. 2)count as in to count one thing as something else.


The second point you are making is pure nonsense. You are not using two distinct meanings of the word "count". If you count your eggs now to make sure you have a hundred eggs, and then you count them weeks later and find that 80 hatched, the entity you are counting has morphed (from eggs to chicks). But the act of counting (and therefore your usage of the word "count" to denote that same activity) is exactly the same.



About your first point: I think that youre just playing dumb to troll me. You know full well that your long winded version:"dont count your eggs as chickens before they hatch" adds nothing but wasted time and verbiage to the obvious meaning of the pithy "don't count your chickens before they hatch".

You're accusing me of playing dumb and trolling you just because I disagree with YOUR disagreement with MY post.

By long winded you mean you didn't understand it.

Simple explanation for naturalplastic (yes I'm surprised he needs it too but he clearly does)

YOU COUNT EGGS, even if you think they will turn into chickens you count eggs.

If it means 'don't count your chickens AS eggs until they're hatched' which is the meaning of the phrase then the phrase should be DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS AS EGGS UNTIL THEY'RE HATCHED.


"Don't count your chickens as eggs until they're hatched" makes no sense at all. Natural Plastic is right on this one. Probably helps that he appears to be familiar with farms as am I.

Don't count your chickens until they are hatched, means exactly what it says. If I have 8 eggs, they are not all going to hatch, some may be infertile, the fox might get some, etc., etc. And how every many hatch, will not necessarily all grow to adulthood.

So, the words themselves make sense just as they are. From those words, a parable can be drawn, meaning roughly not counting on dreams until they are real.

Yes fine I put it the wrong way round in the last post because I rushed because I was angry at being wrongly accused of trolling. I meant 'don't count your eggs as chickens before their hatched' as I put it in my second post above.

Yes obviously only people familiar with farming like you and np are able to tell the dif between a chicken and an egg.

I don't know why everyone is repeatedly explaining the meaning. I know the meaning. My point was that the saying doesn't match it because of the other use of the word count.



fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,143
Location: England

20 Aug 2019, 6:42 am

Don't bother I'm unsubscribing to the thread.