What do you like the most about WrongPlanet?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you like the most about WrongPlanet?
Making new friends. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Participating in forum discussions. 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Having a place to spend my free time on with other people. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Lurking. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Learning new things. 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Take out my frustration or depression. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Other. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2019, 7:28 am

For me, it has always been the ability to share my thoughts and ideas with others, and to hear people's opinions on various subjects. There are also sometimes really interesting discussions going on, in some of the forum threads. Also, the fact I have found a community where most people have some type of autism, means I am more likely to have things in common with other people because we share the same problem.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:43 am

The ability to ask questions from different angles and not be embarissed to ask those questions. Questions not just related to autism, but related to life. If I tried to ask some of these questions elsewhere I would be made to feel small so I just learnt mot to ask them.
This forum is BIG in that I can ask without feeling stupid. It is very important.
Since I have been here with the exceptional kind help from many of you, I now know things about myself which I would have never found out about before. For example, when I joined it was not long after asking one of my doctors to be assessed, and I was beginning to think along the lines of cancelling the assessment as I thought "Maybe I am dreaming. Maybe I am imagining it" etc... And when by asking questions (Thanks so much for your patience in this) I found that nearly all my life the assumed to be allergy symptoms were partial shutdowns with the occasional shutdown, I was overwealmed with emotion and shock. I mean... All these years of trying my best to fathom out what was going on... I was looking at it all upsidown. I assumed the body was effecting my brain. When I turned it all around and looked at it from the point of view that my brain effected my body (Which is embarissing to consider for me but I was so desperate to find out I was willing to consider everything), then suddenly so much slotted into place! Everything began to make perfect sense! I had made no sense of things when I thought my body was effecting my mind through allergy related issues which I wasn't able to make any sense of... After almost a lifetime of trying to find out what it was that was effecting me...
I have made soo much progress through this site.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:51 am

Positive comments from people here and making new friends
Cute cat and other animal pictures
Off the Wall/Games Forum
Even though I don't have a formal diagnosis of anything, people listen to my concerns.
The Sports and Health Forum

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 8:57 am

as much as I complain about WP I guess if there weren't some good things about it I wouldnt be on it all the time

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:15 pm

It does allow me to connect with many other people on the spectrum, something I could never do before when there was no internet. But then again, no one had a clue I had Asperger's before and for quite a few years after we had internet.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
It does allow me to connect with many other people on the spectrum, something I could never do before when there was no internet. But then again, no one had a clue I had Asperger's before and for quite a few years after we had internet.

That's one thing I've learnt that through all my life, I never new I had asperges traits. I don't know if I have enough traits to have asperges. No idea...
These are things I assumed only I had as an individual and no one else shared the same. I just thought that they were part of my unique character. When I joined this site I was soo emotional to find trait after trait that other people had which I could relate to. It was a feeling that I was not alone which gave me such relief.

I found it odd when it was referred to having these traits was a dissability, but I do admit that though I share some traits, others get things more severe then I do... But shutdowns and nurves... Well.... I certainly get them full on at times. In the past masking shut off most of the nurves, as I was able to talk and act normal even though I would almost live most of my life having the runs (Nurves) and needing extra toilet breaks and in recent years drinking extra water when nurvous....
But lately... Oh I can't talk about it... Just deleted what I wrote as I seem mean and ungreatful. Just need to find ways out of stress.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:09 pm

Participating in threads/"hanging out"with people.

Trying to offer advice.

People feeling better because of my advice.

Having a laugh.

A bit of a catharsis sometimes----memories are bought back to me which are long-forgotten.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:55 pm

I like the way I've become familiar here, yet at the same time I am anonymous. I love seeing new threads and participating in the discussion, getting my thoughts, feelings and opinions out there and having feedback. Like Facebook, I visit this site often whenever I get the chance (obviously on my iphone, as I am often out, not just permanently sat in front of a computer all the time like it might look like when you see my post count).
As a person who's always been embarrassed and cagey about having Asperger's, it is rather surprising that I spend so much time on an autism forum. :) But it's become a normal part of my online life now, so I don't really think any differently of it.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:27 pm

Participating in forum discussions sans the usual name calling.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 9:20 am

A minimum of sexual talk, except for the separate Adult forum, where it's appropriate. I hate how everything on the YouTube comments pages becomes sexual or political.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 9:40 am

I selected "Other" because selecting more than one answer is not enabled, so my actual answers are...

(•) Participating in forum discussions.
(•) Learning new things.

:D

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 9:59 am

I feel very much at home here, I am not autistic but have ADD and I learn much about coping mechanisms for my own challenges.

I love the fact that there is transparency and that it's a safe place to open your heart without judgement, on the whole. :D
I love the diversity of perspective and have become very fond of you all.

Lukario
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2019, 10:10 am

The main thing I like about it is that It's probably the biggest autism forum in the world.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2019, 12:11 pm

Some members here are nice and supportive. And they don't judge as harshly as some other places do.

The past is truth shrouded in twilight.

The present is as clear as daylight.

The future is hidden in the darkness of night.

Noam2353
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2019, 12:31 pm

I also forgot to mention, I like the simple design of the forums. It's just "post a reply", write your message and then "submit". Its very easy and simple, nothing complicated or special rules to follow other than the basic forum rules of any normal forums.
Also, the forums are very alive. Theres always something new to discuss, it never gets boring.
I used to take part on other forums in the past, and there were also many trolling going on and people who think they are geniuses, etc. It was a very unpleasant situation.