Pedigree pets the same as human race supremacy

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:35 pm

I read something recently on this forum where

someone compared my comments about how some people bully others
based on their looks (i.e. discriminating against a person due to the shape of their nose)
as being similar in nature to how race supremacists think. i.e. one shape nose good, another shape bad.
being no different to preferring pedigree pets.

However, i would just like to state that i do not think that statement is true.
As when a person holds a preference for one look in physical appearance, then this i would classify as natural selection,
and not discrimination.

However, when a person subjects another person to psychological or physical abuse based on the shape of a persons nose, then i would say that then it becomes more like the way race supremacists think, in that they regard as one human form not only superior to another but the form that they consider to be inferior worthy of mistreatment perhaps even death.

Now, having a preference for pedigree pets isn't the same, as race supremacy. as you are not subjecting all pets that are not pedigree to psychological and or physical abuse which includes death.

So, i would just like to say that i think the comparison isn't fair.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:41 pm

Another thing: pets (as opposed to wild animals and humans) don't get to choose who they breed with, if they're lucky enough to have all their bits intact, that is :wink:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:51 pm

A world without cocker spaniels would be infinitely poorer.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:04 pm

I would just like to say that I don't care about the looks, I care about the demeanor (in humans and dogs). If someone acts like a bully, shows their ass, demands special treatment, etc... I don't want them. If a dog bites, I don't want them.

A nose is for warming air, filtering particles, breathing and smelling. Depending upon where the persons ancestors evolved will affect the shape of their nose. Once I understood that, I had less of a discriminatory nature against noses. They need a nose that deals with dry, arid climate. Or one that deals with humid, hot climate. Or one that deals with thin, cold air.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 7:22 pm

Purebred dogs and cats are now being bred to the point where they have all kinds of health and behavioral problems. But the breeders don't care because they know most buyers only care about looks and will pay insane amounts of money. :money:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 7:26 pm

I do think those pugs are unfortunate, as well as ugly. It's a sad reflection on our times that a sentient being can be a fashion accessory, especially at the cost of suffering.

That said, I wouldn't want to see cute, fluffy cocker spaniels bred out of existence.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:02 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
A nose is for warming air, filtering particles, breathing and smelling. Depending upon where the persons ancestors evolved will affect the shape of their nose. Once I understood that, I had less of a discriminatory nature against noses. They need a nose that deals with dry, arid climate. Or one that deals with humid, hot climate. Or one that deals with thin, cold air.

Sure. I also read some time ago, that some people who end up with "snub" noses, or as some call it Pig noses.
(even Brad Pit in his pre-cosmetic surgery photo's show him as having this type of nose)
can happen in some due to being pre-mature along with other problems that can cause obesity and other health problems.

Interestingly enough Brad Pit isn't the only "celebrity" that has had their "snub" nose worked on and have since had an extremely successful career in the entertainment industry.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 2:21 am

LOL! you can also have cross bred pure breeds like Cavoodles which are the progeny of two pure breeds (poodles and cavaliers). They are very cute

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 4:01 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
I do think those pugs are unfortunate, as well as ugly. It's a sad reflection on our times that a sentient being can be a fashion accessory, especially at the cost of suffering.

That said, I wouldn't want to see cute, fluffy cocker spaniels bred out of existence.

That can happen to a human too, although probably not intentionally. Just think if a high altitude nose ended up at low altitude! Or the reverse... might have a hard time breathing! Or these cruel individuals who buy a dog meant for cold and bring them into a hot climate. Very selfish... :(

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 4:03 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Sure. I also read some time ago, that some people who end up with "snub" noses, or as some call it Pig noses.
(even Brad Pit in his pre-cosmetic surgery photo's show him as having this type of nose)
can happen in some due to being pre-mature along with other problems that can cause obesity and other health problems.

Interestingly enough Brad Pit isn't the only "celebrity" that has had their "snub" nose worked on and have since had an extremely successful career in the entertainment industry.

I have a small nose. The nostrils aren't visible like with a pig nose, thank goodness.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:18 am

Are we swapping nose stories?

I have been told I have a Roman Nose

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Are we swapping nose stories?

I have been told I have a Roman Nose

LOL! I love noses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:47 am

As a kid I loved drawing people's faces and the nose certainly gives a person a lot of character!

Without it...well...

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
LOL! you can also have cross bred pure breeds like Cavoodles which are the progeny of two pure breeds (poodles and cavaliers). They are very cute

:heart: :heart: :heart:

But I still prefer pure cockers and cavaliers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 3:49 am

I own a cavapoo - here's a pic of his twin (living somewhere?)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 6:31 am

My sister owns a black Cavapoo. She's very motherly towards my niece and nephew, and takes a lot of crap from them. She'll never bite them, only growl.

Also, when you sit down, she will sit at the top of the sofa behind you, and puts her paw on your shoulder. It's as if she's looking after people.