Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 1:20 am

I have had a Motorola G6 for almost a year, but the contract doesn't run out for another 7 months. But in the last day or so it's been demanding for a system update.
Now I'm reluctant to agree to another system update because the last time I let it do a system update it slowed my phone right down, and it installed some apps that I didn't want but can't get rid of (won't let me uninstall), and it clogs up my phone. Also ever since then, apps keep closing or pausing, which is really frustrating.

But someone told me that she doesn't ever update her phone because of the way it slows the system down, and she says it's not that important.
I don't know much about back-up or anything, as I'm afraid to do any sort of reset in çase some of my data disappears. I've got an SD card but it's now full with all of my music, although some recently downloaded songs won't fit on the SD card so I don't quite know what will happen if I did use back-up to reset or whatever it does (I don't even know how to word it because I don't know really what it means), and I've organised my songs into playlists and I don't want those all messed up.

I keep putting the system update off, but will this mean it will update itself sooner or later? If this is the case, I wouldn't want that to happen because chances are it will do it while I'm asleep and if I have an alarm set the system update might undo the alarm.

So is it as important as all the Motorola sites claim it is to be, or do a lot of people avoid update systems because of the same problems I have? I really cannot have it going even slower and buggy than it is now. Constantly clearing cache of apps doesn't seem to make it go any faster. Please someone help. The answers on Google are no good. But I can't get rid of this annoying system update notification.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 10:35 pm

If the storage on your phone(not including the SD card) is full the phone will begin to slow down. Updating generally won't make a phone slower but sometimes phone manufacturers do a shoddy job of updating the next version of Android and it will be slower until they issue a patch. Most updated though are just security patches. You might get a new version of Android once a year. For new Android versions you could hold off a couple weeks and Google your specific phone model and the version of Android to see if anyone has any major issues with the new version of Android on your phone before you decide to install it.

You could just get a larger SD card and buy a USB microSD card reader, turn your phone all the way off, take the SD card out of your phone and put it into the reader, open up "this PC" icon if you have windows 10, you'll see the SD card reader show up as a drive. Open that up, drag and drop your songs you got on there onto a folder on your desktop. Take the card out, swap it with your newer larger SD card and repeat the same step to open the SD card and drag and drop the music files from the folder on your desktop into the SD card folder. Let that finish copying then stick that new SD card into your phone and viola. This works seamlessly as long as you didn't use your SD card to install apps on and you were only using it to store media like songs or photos etc.

I don't know where you designed your playlists if you mean you did that in some media player app or if you meant you seperated the files into seperate playlist like folders on your SD card. If you designed your playlist in an app instead I don't know if it would keep your playlists intact.

Backups should be set to automatic on your phone and are that way by default unless you did otherwise or haven't logged into your Google account on your phone. Backups will generally backup just the apps you have purchased, texts and contacts, not the in app settings and if you use a backup to restore your files you will have to sign into all your accounts once again. They wouldn't backup the songs you have on your SD card.

For your question yes I do all my updates on my phone and if there is a problem then I just Google a solution and fix it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:34 pm

Thank you for replying.

I am still reluctant to update my phone. The last time I had a system update was about 3 months ago, and ever since then my phone's been slow, and there's about 4 new apps installed that I don't need, won't ever use but can't remove. One of them is a Korean language app that seems to take up a lot of space on my phone with it's sub-apps (or whatever it's called) but I will never use those in a million years. But the last update has somehow planted it into my phone and so does not have the uninstall option.
So now it puts me off doing any more system updates. Finding answers on Google is like hitting my head against a brick wall. The last time I did that, I found my exact problem on there but it had about 40 replies all saying "I'm having the same problem too and I don't know what to do either" (not in those exact words but you know what I mean). I want ANSWERS, not discussion!

And I'm worried about my music being messed up. I have a music player app on my phone, which I download songs on to from YouTube on my computer (using MP3 converter). I do have all of my songs stored on my computer as well but not all the playlists. I have about 800 songs on my phone, about 750 of them on my SD card and the rest just stored on my phone, so I know that updating my phone will mess my playlists up. I need the playlists, as it's a way of arranging my songs into categories. It took me ages and ages to make them, and I don't think I can face doing it all over again, at least until my contract runs out and I get a new phone.

My phone back-up thing is enabled, but I still don't trust resetting my phone in case it doesn't back up some of my data or messes my data up. My phone must be organised my way.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Sep 2019, 4:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I am still reluctant to update my phone. The last time I had a system update was about 3 months ago, and ever since then my phone's been slow, and there's about 4 new apps installed that I don't need, won't ever use but can't remove. One of them is a Korean language app that seems to take up a lot of space on my phone with it's sub-apps (or whatever it's called) but I will never use those in a million years. But the last update has somehow planted it into my phone and so does not have the uninstall option.
I rooted my phone so I could remove the android apps I knew I didn't need or want. Rooting gives your phone root access which allows you to modify the software. It's kinda like someone on an office computer having network & administrative access. The person with that access can add, remove, & modify things most people in the office can not. Rooting doesn't mess up your phone if it's done rite but the process can be kinda complicated for someone who doesn't know what they're doing so you should do a bit of research 1st or ask someone to do it for you who knows what he/she's doing. After the phone's rooted you need to be careful not to make changes to things you don't know for sure what they do. You can potentially screw something up & may even crash your phone if you do the wrong thing like remove a needed built in app that the phone or android requires. There are ways to remove root access after it's done so if you have a friend who knows what he/she's doing, he/she could root your phone to remove those apps & any others that you don't want that aren't needed & then remove the root access. I'm NOT saying you should or shouldn't have it done, I'm just giving you a possible option to get rid of those apps.

BTW your fears about android running slower after being updated are very valid. I noticed my droids acting slower after android updates & I barely put any apps or much else on there. I also noticed things crashing after so I had to factory restore my phone in order to get things to run smoother. It wasn't that big of a deal for me to do since I barely put anything on there. I only had two android phones & my 2nd is really old so the android OS hasn't been updated in a long time. Things could of changed since then.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition