Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 10:49 am

Hey, i am sure some of you guys (and girls) must be aware of the Elon Musk, the tech guru billionaire owner of Tesla and his plan to resettle on Mars.

I was wondering if anyone had likened him to the Noah story in the bible.
However, i guess in the Bible it is reverse.

With water covering the planet and the righteous Noah and his wife escaping on their ship.
Where as Elon Musk esq may be escaping a burnt out earth rather than a water swamped (that is if the sun eventually burns up all the water from the ice peaks).

Some may also question the righteousness of Mr. Musk and his elite buddies, who will be boarding the new Ark, spaceship.

I imagine someone has used the name Ark for a space ship in science fiction already.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 12:52 pm

Elon Musk is thought to have Asperger's traits:

Baron-Cohen says the autistic are interested in what’s called first principles, fundamental rules used to inform their decisions. First principle-thinking happens to be a tactic Elon Musk, the innovative leader of Tesla and SpaceX, says has contributed to his success.

“Rather than reasoning by analogy, you boil things down to the most fundamental truths you can imagine and you reason up from there,” Musk has said. “This is a good way to figure out if something really makes sense or if it’s just what everybody else is doing.”

To be great, you can’t think like everybody else, and you probably won’t fit in to the herd. As a child Musk was bullied and beaten so badly that as an adult he struggled to breathe through his nose and needed corrective surgery.

John Doerr, a venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins, who was an early investor in Google, Amazon and Netscape, has said that great entrepreneurs tend to have “absolutely no social life.” Great innovators, like those with Asperger’s, just don’t fit in.

Source: Why shades of Asperger’s Syndrome are the secret to building a great tech company

I am not sure I would compare him with Noah. There are thousands of challenges that must be overcome to live on Mars. The lack of water and effective shielding from GCRs to name a few. Noah definitely didn't have a problem with lack of water.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 1:05 pm

Didn't the Bible say that God said to Noah that the next time God would destroy the Earth it would be by fire rather than by water?

The sun isn't due to turn into a red giant for another five billion years. So if you speculating about a cataclysm in Elon Musk's (and yours and my) lifetimes that cant be the "fire" in question.

Might be a coming nuclear war. Or it might be climate change. Or who knows?

I don't see how Elon Musk is any kind of Noah. A visionary maybe. Con artist maybe.

But Noah, and the Flood, have been a meme in Western Culture for two thousand years. And the Noah story itself was plagarized from Pagan flood myths that go back even further. So yes I am sure many sci fi stories have referenced the Biblical story. Its referenced in TV commercials and in everything else.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 1:09 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
... I imagine someone has used the name Ark for a space ship in science fiction already.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 1:48 pm

I have never liked the story of Noah's ark because of all the animals who die in the flood because they couldn't get on board, even though they didn't do anything wrong.

It also implies that modern animals and humans were all born out of incest.

It also gives the message that being single is wrong. That unless you have an opposite-sex love interest with you at all times, you will perish like the animals who didn't get on the ark. Of course, many of them probably already had mates. They might have already had babies or were expecting them. But they may have chosen to be on the ark so they all had to die.

And they tell this story to children in books with cutesy illustrations while leaving out all the gruesome images of global genocide, like children and infants being drowned along with the adult sinners and animals. :roll:

And if they used cubits to build an ark, why are all the illustrations of it show the ark show it being quite round and boat-shaped? :P

No one can be a new Noah because there never was an "old" Noah. Just like it's physically impossible for a whale to not only swallow a human whole, but keep them alive inside them.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2019, 2:02 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have never liked the story of Noah's ark because of all the animals who die in the flood because they couldn't get on board, even though they didn't do anything wrong.

It also gives the message that being single is wrong. That unless you have an opposite-sex love interest with you at all times, you will perish like the animals who didn't get on the ark. Of course, many of them probably already had mates. They might have already had babies or were expecting them. But they may have chosen to be on the ark so they all had to die.

And they tell this story to children in books with cutesy illustrations while leaving out all the gruesome images of global genocide, like children and infants being drowned along with the adult sinners and animals. :roll:

And if they used cubits to build an ark, why are all the illustrations of it show the ark show it being quite round and boat-shaped? :P

No one can be a new Noah because there never was an "old" Noah. Just like it's physically impossible for a whale to not only swallow a human whole, but keep them alive inside them.

The story of Jericho bothers me as much as that one because of the fact that every man, woman, child, and animal in the captured city was put to the sword by God's followers. Christians claim that the citizens of Jericho was evil and sinful, but wtf did children and animals do to deserve being put to death? :|

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 8:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Cubits are not a shape. Nothing to do with cubes.

They are a unit of measuring length. The length of an adult man's arm- finger tips- to elbow (like a foot is the length of a man's foot, and a fathom is the span of a sailor's arms). A cubit is roughly half of a yard, or 18 inches, 45 cm.

But actually you're right that Noah's. ark is described as being just one big water proof box made of gopherwood with caulking like a ship to keep it waterproof. If it really existed it would have been a rectangular solid and not boat shaped. Children's books show it as boat shaped just to communicate the idea of "a boat" for simplicity's sake.

"the Ark" of the Ark Encounter theme park in Kentucky (not actually a boat but a huge building made to look like a boat that houses the museum) is laughable because it shows the ark as having an external keel (only sailing ships have external keels) and a ram shaped bulbous bow (ancient warships had rams to ram enemy ships, and large 20/21st century ships often have a protruding bulbous bow beneath the waterline to cut through water more efficiently and save fuel). Noah's ark had no power source (no steam, no diesel, no sails, nor even slaves pulling oars), and was not a warship that needed to ram enemies. So it didn't need a bulbous bow for either ancient or for modern reasons.