Loud cars should be banned! (Rant)

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 3:22 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Bikes and small, low cars both tend to be ignored by other drivers. There's a safety benefit to letting people know where you are.

As a collector of some vintage cars, I am on the side of those that prefer stock exhaust systems. There is no real need to put a huge exhaust pipe (4 inches or above) on unless it is designed to be at the track only. There is a difference between a healthy factory growl of an American muscle car/European sports car and one that was modified to be as loud as it can. Also one does not need to go around needlessly zooming the engine to get attention. Trust me, you will get plenty of attention just being in an older car that is uncommon to come across on the road. Mine are used to do cruises, not to race others on the street. All of my cars retain the stock exhaust systems and are in tune when I drive them. If you want the car hobby to continue, one has to be respectful of others or the laws will change against you.

Personally, I hate “fart pipes” on Japanese cars, as they seem to be the worst offenders for noise rules. Those are basically huge mufflers that are put on to make the car sound if it is ripping a good one while driving. I have seen police enforce noise laws on them and fully support that action when warranted.

I'm not a fan of fart cans or over massively oversized exhausts on NA engine. A single great big 3 or 4 inch pipe might make sense on a big single turbo engine, because they'll reduce back pressure but turbos make things quieter anyways. Typically an NA engine requires a big of back pressure for scavenging exhaust gases, bigger isn't inherently better.

Loud is relative, modified cars should be held to the same standards bikes are. That's still loud but with an upper limit. Bikes are typically held to a different (more lax) standard than cars are (from the factory), I've got no problem allowing hot rods and bikes to be louder than an unmodified factory stock car. There's simply not that many of them out there to make a huge difference and strictly enforcing limits amounts to a huge waste of police manpower that could be better invested dealing with actual concerns.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 3:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I was hoping this wouldn't offend anyone, but it did. :roll:

I’m sorry too. You should be allowed to have your rant in Haven without criticism. Perhaps the automotive afficionados could take their conversation to Random comments.

I hate the loud noises too. I live in a rural village so you can hear the loud noise for a long time. I have a wee bit of sympathy for the young ones as I had a loud exhaust on my first car, but only a wee bit. And the faster the vehicles go, the louder they seem. So maybe they could at least not speed!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:15 am

And motorcycles! Ugh... Bikeweek! Bike rallies are horrible too. :skull:

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 10:09 am

Motorcyclists here are nuts! They sneak in between cars and make loud revving noises. Scary!

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 8:00 pm

We have a man who rides through the village around seven a.m. on a motorized bicycle. It looks like a regular bicycle, but with a small, but very loud, motor attached. It’s horrible sounding!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 9:07 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Motorcyclists here are nuts! They sneak in between cars and make loud revving noises. Scary!

Maintaining high enough RPMs to accelerate and take advantage of openings is kind of required when doing that. :|

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
We have a man who rides through the village around seven a.m. on a motorized bicycle. It looks like a regular bicycle, but with a small, but very loud, motor attached. It’s horrible sounding!

The idea to build one has crossed my mind, I confess, but I was thinking of adding a muffler off an old Ford tractor to silence it.

The engines are usually a two-cycle 49cc with one cylinder. They must be run at about 8,000 to 12,000 RPM to develop power as they are so small and do not carry a large fly-wheel. The two-cycle design requires a particular sort of exhaust pipe for maximum efficiency so that might be part of the noisiness.

They get about 150 miles to the gallon but you're right, no one ever said they are pleasant to hear go by.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Aug 2019, 2:00 am

I think we could afford a regulation that for cars to make limited noise at low (typical city-allowed) speeds.
I don't care how noisy is the car at its top speed on German motorway, behind noise screens, where no sane pedestrian appears - but it's really painful to hear loud engines right next to your ears when walking.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 9:27 am

Stupid head was racing his car up and down the street again! If he hits any kid or animal on our street, he's going to get an earful from me.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 8:12 pm

Borromeo wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:

The idea to build one has crossed my mind, I confess, but I was thinking of adding a muffler off an old Ford tractor to silence it.

The engines are usually a two-cycle 49cc with one cylinder. They must be run at about 8,000 to 12,000 RPM to develop power as they are so small and do not carry a large fly-wheel. The two-cycle design requires a particular sort of exhaust pipe for maximum efficiency so that might be part of the noisiness.

They get about 150 miles to the gallon but you're right, no one ever said they are pleasant to hear go by.

Sounds like(no pun intended) an interesting project. But would a tractor muffler silence it? Tractors are pretty loud too. Not as high pitched, but loud!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 9:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
The current noise-abatement laws should be enforced.

Question: How can we get these laws enforced?

Answer: Complaints to the police, and to local politicians, not just by us as individuals, but by organized neighborhood-based groups of autistic adults and by organized neighborhood-based groups of parents of autistic children.

Yet another of the many, many reasons why we need to build a much more organized autistic community (subculture) than now exists.

Fnord wrote:
However, when it comes to motorcycles, I appreciate hearing them coming up behind me when I can't see them in my mirrors.

Agreed, motorcycles have a valid reason to be noisy. Cars don't.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 9:09 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:

Sounds like(no pun intended) an interesting project. But would a tractor muffler silence it? Tractors are pretty loud too. Not as high pitched, but loud!

My understanding is attaching a muffler after an expansion pipe defeats the whole purpose of the expansion pipe, which is exhaust scavenging. There's a formula to designing two stroke (and four stroke, ftm) exhaust systems. They're one of the ways you can make a two-stroke with a broader power band which is important in vehicles even if it doesn't matter in 'working' engines like some of the other applications two-strokes get used for. Basically the shape makes the exhaust pulses help pull air through the engine by the way they expand within the pipe. Without it they make less power and make it in a much narrower operating envelope.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 9:14 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Agreed, motorcycles have a valid reason to be noisy. Cars don't.

Consider how small a little sports car (Miata for example) is compared to the average big crossover. Yeah, cars have the same valid reason as well, especially when they're small or have low rooflines.

For that matter, not all cars are loud by the owner/operator's choice. Some people just can't afford to replace a muffler that's been shot, but still need to get to work. A muffler isn't part of the emissions control, so it isn't as important as those parts.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Farunel
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2019, 12:27 am

Loud cars are annoying for sure. Couple weeks ago I had the worst experience in a campground I've ever had (I mostly try to camp outside of campgrounds, to be fair. But this one had a good reputation.)

The people camping next to us showed up at around 11pm all in really loud cars. Then proceeded to talk extremely loudly, shout, play loud music, shine lights, revv their engines until about 4 am. Not sure how widespread the term is, but they were definitely tweakers. Police showed up at the end of it. I was so upset with these people.

To top it off, earlier in the day one of them had the gall to say to me, "Isn't it so peaceful here". I've never been so angry with complete strangers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 1:35 am

I'm talking more about those modern cars that literally are artificially amplified so that the driver can show off. I know that sound when I hear it. I don't think these fast cars should be allowed on general public roads. I often see these loud racing-car types going at about 80 or 90mph, or even more, on a motorway that only allows up to 70mph. They weave in and out of the traffic dangerously.

Like I said, I work at a bus depot, where buses are parking up or sitting with their engines running waiting to be refueled, and I can say that these big vehicles are nowhere near as loud as some of these cars I hear go zooming by on the road. Those cars produce more of a deep, sharp, revvy sort of noise, which are annoying.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 1:33 pm

:idea:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 24 Aug 2019, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.