Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 2:22 pm

Does heat has anything to do with being exhausted, low energy & anxiety in Aspergers people?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 3:54 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that heat and humidity really sap my energy. But I think that's a common thing for NTs as well.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 4:43 pm

Most people do because of dehydration. And dehydration makes one feel tired...
Just more so with sensory issues against higher temperatures.

I live in a tropical country where it's hot and humid.
While I'm more sensitive, I can also put up with heat better than most -- though not sure if I count because I don't deal with anxiety nor I do have weaker constitution.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 5:22 pm

It did when I was a kid. I would want to turn the AC on even in the middle of January. I also was CONSTANTLY thirsty. My mom had me tested for diabetes at least um-teem times and they always came back negative. I also was a on a crap load of meds for ADHD and "mood problems"....mostly stuff my parents couldn't handle. I hear some meds can mess up your ability to be in heat.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 11:15 pm

I think both heat and cold can feel worse if you're on the spectrum. My own experiences seem to back that up. If I remember right, I read somewhere that with ASD the body's temperature regulation is impaired. Then there's the additional intensity we're said to experience with various relatively minor discomforts - sensory issues. Certainly I have a low tolerance for heat and feel very tired and sick if I'm exposed to it even for only half a minute.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 1:01 am

I'm fairly sensitive to temperature, but more so to the cold than to heat. Where I live there is a lot of seasonal variation. 30-35 Fahrenheit (-1 to +1 Celsius) during the winters on average and 85-95 Fahrenheit (29-35 Celsius) during the summers.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 2:51 am

I seem to be more sensitive to heat than most people. Also, the left side of my body is more sensitive to heat than my right side.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 6:20 am

Since I've gained weight, heat is really hard for me to cope with. We get 40°C days in summer and I just feel drained the whole time. We don't have air conditioning in our unit either so it's really difficult to keep the place cool.

I'm enjoying winter right now. Everyone's complaining that it's too cold but at work I'm finding that I'm sweating at times.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 8:45 am

Yes, I hate the heat.

Oraq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2019, 8:59 am

I really suffered from high temperatures when I was young, and it wasn't until I tried a sauna in my forties that it ceased to be a problem; it appears I had to learn how to sweat properly. I don't know if it is anything to do with being autistic, but it could be why I was so often accused of shirking in the work place. Where some can break into a sweat just by thinking of work, I always appeared cool and dry, leading people to think I was taking it easy, when in all probability I was suffering from overheating, and thus having a worse time of it than the others! Nowadays I've learnt not to use fans or climate control of any kind, but rather to tough it out (within reason, of course) to get the sweat mechanism working, and I find I soon get used to the ambient temperature. Full on AC prevents this acclimatisation, and is just a stupid waste of money and energy, really.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:19 am

It is possible you might be more sensitive to the heat than most, but I think the issues you describe can happen to anyone regardless of if they are on the spectrum. I would suggest drinking plenty of fluids and occasionally drinking something with vitamins and electrolytes.

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2019, 7:10 pm

I've have a high tolerance for heat for as long as I can remember and it's gotten higher over the years. Anything under 75 Farenhight (80 with low humidity) and I need a sweatshirt over my long-sleeved tee with jeans. I can do that outfit until it feels like it's in the high 80s. My cold tolerance is that low.
I do not remember ever feeling too hot. I usually tell that I'm supposed to be too warm by sweat, but I don't physically feel the heat at all. My local area has a low of 10 Farenheit and a high of high 90s. The summers get very humid, it's always humid.

Ziemael

25 Aug 2019, 11:35 pm

Sounds a lot like andrenal fatigue. This is more common in people who are over stressed daily, like PTSD, ASD, or other chronic sufferers. No treatment yet so it isn't in the med books/ this not covered as real by insurance.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... q-20057906

Miller54
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2019, 1:12 am

May be something.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 4:00 am

Summer heat is opressive to me and wears me out. I am glad that autumn is on the way.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Aug 2019, 12:06 am

I cannot tolerate heat at all. The first thing I bought when I was 19 was an air conditioner - what a relief! And still a relief, every time I turn it on.