I want custom content on my Sims 2 game...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 6:59 pm

I know how to put custom content on to my Sims 2 game. First I downloaded WinZip but I didn't know how to use it then, and then the free trial ran out. So I downloaded another program similar to WinZip but can't remember what it's called, and then I got the hang of how to use it to put custom content on to my game.
It kind of worked, except one of the items I downloaded showed up as a different item on my game. So when I went to download a similar item, the free trial had run out, even though I had the program for less than a day. I thought the free trial would last longer than that. Well, I didn't even know there was a free trial, as it didn't say about a free trial when I downloaded it, it just said the whole program was free. :roll:

I am unable to pay for it because I don't have my bank details or card registered online. I don't want to do that, and I'm not using PayPal because some programs on computers don't have the option to pay with PayPal.

I just want custom content on my game. My Sim kids have nothing to play with but a doll's house, a stupid easy bake oven, and about 5 toy boxes full of the same toys. I have all of the expansion packs, including family fun stuff, so you'd have thought EA would have come up with a little more stuff for the kids to do other than numerous toy boxes. You only need ONE toy box. So that is why I want custom content, but it's so irritating that I have to PAY for it. I'm not made of money. :roll:

SecretOpossumCabal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2019, 7:42 am

Nobody uses winzip anymore, use 7zip. https://www.7-zip.org/ Completely free and no irritating 'trials over' baloney.

I'm assuming your not computer savvy but whenever you run into a problem tech-wise, just use google and you should sometimes put it 'reddit' in the search query, such as "winzip alternative reddit" which will usually guide you to a good reddit post to the problem you're having. The Sims community on reddit is likely a good source on finding custom content, in addition to troubleshooting stuff! https://old.reddit.com/r/thesims/

Good luck!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 1:58 pm

Thanks for replying.

I downloaded 7zip, and I extracted the content I downloaded from the Sims 2 mod site (like I did with WinZip), and the files did what I asked but then a box came up saying along the lines of "unable to find files" or something like that, even though it still did the same as it did when I was using WinZip, and the files appeared on my computer//documents//EAgames//theSims2//downloads - which it did before. But the new content I downloaded with 7zip hasn't shown up on my game, even though the custom content is still enabled. The content I had downloaded from WinZip is still there. I don't know why this 7zip isn't putting the content on to the game.

I just want to do a family with kids, with an enormous playroom full of toys, lots and lots of toys.
I don't find Google very useful, as I'm unsure how to word my problem into the search bar to make it searchable. Also usually the answers I find are a bunch of "yeah I have this problem too", with no actual advice or instructions to resolve the problem. That's why I rather post here so that I can explain everything and receive replies personally.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

09 Oct 2019, 11:03 am

Have you figured it out yet?

Are you sure the files are in the correct directory and not a sub-directory? I've also read that some mod files need to be double clicked to install properly.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Have you figured it out yet?

Are you sure the files are in the correct directory and not a sub-directory? I've also read that some mod files need to be double clicked to install properly.

I have figured it out. Well, sort of. I just click and move the downloaded custom content files around until they appear in my game, and that's good enough for me. :)

But I can't seem to make up my mind on what Sims family and home to do. I literally have over 100 different families and homes scattered around my neighbourhoods.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Oct 2019, 10:34 am

Glad you've got it sorted! It's been ages since I played Sims 2. I always abandon my old families to make a new one but end up making them exactly the same again :roll: