Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 7:32 pm

This is quite odd, really.

President Donald Trump cancels meeting with Denmark---because they refuse to sell him Greenland.

WTF????

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm

As Grumpycat, may she rest in peace, would say:

GOOD. :evil:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

Now...I, as an American, wouldn't have minded if the US bought Greenland. There's lots of nice stuff there to see. And i wouldn't need a passport!

But I feel like Trump is trying a "hostile takeover" here.....

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 9:36 pm

I guess stranger things could happen than the U.S. purchasing Greenland from Norway.

After all, the U.S. Virgin Islands consists of the main islands of Saint Croix, Saint John, and Saint Thomas, and many other surrounding minor islands. The total land area of the territory is 133.73 square miles (346.36 km2). Previously known as the Danish West Indies of the Kingdom of Denmark–Norway, they were sold to the United States by Denmark in the Treaty of the Danish West Indies of 1917.

So I guess if it happened once, it might happen again.

What might motivate such a proposal. Perhaps it is financial.

Steve Keen, professor of economics at Kingston University, London. Keen was one of the few economists who predicted the international financial crisis in 2007 – 2008. Now he has quite gloomy forecasts for both Norway and the rest of the world. Soon, there will be new recession, said Professor Steve Keen to NRK. The sky-high private housing debt in Norway is alarming and might be the trigger of a new crisis, according to Keen.

Greenland is rich in natural resources especially in rare earths metals which are needed to grow the tools of modern technology. It may also be a strategic military asset. The U.S. could grow its tourist industry. There are probably many ways it could benefit linking up with the U.S.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 9:47 pm

Greenland is an autonomous region of Denmark.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 9:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Greenland is an autonomous region of Denmark.

And it might become an autonomous region or the U.S. if the two countries came to a mutual agreement.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 10:03 pm

He thinks they can buy it a few million like they did with Alaska, the Russians got well and truly played on that one....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 12:13 am

In the worst case scenario, Trump declares war on Denmark in order to seize Greenland.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 3:59 am

Apparently even snubbed Queen Marguerite of Denmark who had a whole itinerary planned for the orange one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 5:20 am

It is not odd for Trump. Typical temper tantrum of his.

80 hours a week of Applied Behavioral Analysis therapy for him :D

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 5:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is not odd for Trump. Typical temper tantrum of his.

80 hours a week of Applied Behavioral Analysis therapy for him :D

Good one! :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 6:24 am

Trump makes himself look like an abject fool.

This is Kindergarten stuff.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 7:05 am

All the MAGAs are planning on relocating to Greenland. They have been causing global warming to make Greenland more temperate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 7:48 am

Hee Hee :evil:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 8:19 am

Denmark's Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s position: “Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously”.

Trump's position: “A lot of things can be done. It’s hurting Denmark very badly because they're losing almost $700 million a year carrying it,” he added. “So, they carry it at great loss, and strategically for the United States, it would be nice. And, we're a big ally of Denmark and we help Denmark, and we protect Denmark.”

My position: This might be a very good opportunity for the citizens of Greenland. We might slide into another period of global cooling similar to the Little Ice Age. During the last one the following occurred: Sea ice surrounding Iceland extended for miles in every direction, closing harbors to shipping. The population of Iceland fell by half, but that may have been caused by skeletal fluorosis after the eruption of Laki in 1783. Iceland also suffered failures of cereal crops and people moved away from a grain-based diet. The Norse colonies in Greenland starved and vanished by the early 15th century, as crops failed and livestock could not be maintained through increasingly harsh winters. Greenland was largely cut off by ice from 1410 to the 1720s. [Source: Wikipedia] Despite what anyone says, the Global Warming Theory is just a theory. It hasn't been proven.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 8:23 am

Trump is trying to be a business magnate, attempting a “hostile takeover” of Greenland.

Denmark could strike back...by charging rent for the US military base in Qaanaq (Thule).

He’s trying to bully Denmark, basically.

Denmark cannot sell Greenland under these circumstances. That would constitute “enabling the bully.”