Beard vs No Beard Experiment

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
i tried to sport a maynard g. krebs look, but due to my asian genes, could only muster a fu manchu look.

I had no idea who that was, so I looked it up and my first thought was "gee, that guy looks like Gilligan from Gilligan's Island". Then I realised it's the same actor.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:16 am

AngelRho wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Apparently I’d look better with beard but it wouldn’t change anything for dating I’d still be poor.

I like shaving jave over $1000 in shaving stuff. Also beards are itchy

Most men with beards do still shave. Just rather than shaving the whole face, they shave in lines at the neck and cheeks to make their beards look more tidy and polished, and to avoid the "neckbeard" look. It's the difference between someone whose beard is intentional and someone who's just neglected to shave. I suppose if you like shaving though, you'd probably prefer to shave your full face.

I've had facial hair of some kind for the majority of my life since I've been physically capable of growing it, and I've never really had an issue with itchiness, but I know some guys do. Many bearded men use beard oil, which softens the beard, and nourishes the beard and the skin underneath. Beards tend to only be itchy in the beginning phases of beard growth, or if the skin underneath is dry and flakey, and using beard oil in either case will help alleviate the itchiness.

I don’t personally see what’s wrong with the neckbeard. I think it’s kinda lame. For the first month I just didn’t shave at all. I did clean it up afterwards. I wasn’t crazy about how closely I resembled a Central/South American communist dictator. But neither did I have anyone really give me a hard time about it.

Most people think it looks untidy compared to a cleaned up neckline, like you don't care about your appearance. For a short beard, a defined neckline is almost always the best look.

The first time I grew a longer beard when I was 19, I kept the neckline defined the whole way through.

The second time I've grown my beard long started in March last year, and for that, I didn't touch the neckline at all. In fact, I was going for a "yeard", which as the name would suggest, is a year's worth of beard growth. For a true yeard, you're not meant to shave or trim any part of your face for a full year.

I didn't trim anything at all, and I only shaved my upper cheeks and the area under my ears.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 1:46 pm

I stopped shaving in early June. People compliment me on the beard all the time now. :D

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 2:05 pm

Noooooooo...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 10:33 pm

wish i had the genes for a proper beard [and not a neck beard :oops: :nerdy: ]

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jan 2020, 6:54 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Apparently I’d look better with beard but it wouldn’t change anything for dating I’d still be poor.

I like shaving jave over $1000 in shaving stuff. Also beards are itchy

Most men with beards do still shave. Just rather than shaving the whole face, they shave in lines at the neck and cheeks to make their beards look more tidy and polished, and to avoid the "neckbeard" look. It's the difference between someone whose beard is intentional and someone who's just neglected to shave. I suppose if you like shaving though, you'd probably prefer to shave your full face.

I've had facial hair of some kind for the majority of my life since I've been physically capable of growing it, and I've never really had an issue with itchiness, but I know some guys do. Many bearded men use beard oil, which softens the beard, and nourishes the beard and the skin underneath. Beards tend to only be itchy in the beginning phases of beard growth, or if the skin underneath is dry and flakey, and using beard oil in either case will help alleviate the itchiness.
I actually think the neckbeard look is kewl. Some of that may be cuz I went to a private high-skewl that had a dress code & I had to shave my face every skewl night all 4 of my high-skewl years which was a real pain cuz i have bad fine motor-skills & bad vision. Another reason is probably that I relate to neckbeard people more & I found they tended to be more sympathetic of me & my situation than people who are very clean shaven. Even when I was shaving every night while I was working, the clean shaven guys tended to look down on me cuz they were more successful with life. I also known more than a few guys who had the neckbeard look but had no problems getting women but they were still more accepting of me than the clean shaven guys who were more successful with life.

I grew a beard for a couple years after I graduated high-skewl cuz I hated shaving. I did trim it every now & then thou, usually when there was some special function that I had to look nice for like attending weddings(half my cousins got married in that time span). Nowadays I shave about 1ce every week or week & a half. My showers take about an hour when I shave due to how difficult it is for me which is some of why I don't shave more often. I'm also on some meds that reduce my facial hair growth alittle which I consider a good thing. My girlfriend prefers that I don't have a beard but she would still be attracted to me even if I did have one. She thinks the reason she prefers guys not having a beard is cuz of bad experiences she had with people who had beards.

~King Of The Hill

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 9:28 pm

I don't even want to think about this comparative madness anymore. :roll: sometimes I want a beard, sometimes I don't. I wanted my beard while I was skiing today, though I couldn't find it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 7:30 am

I've been fully-bearded for about 7 months now. People compliment me on the beard, and women give me more attention. :D I have a short beard though, and keep it well-groomed.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 8:11 pm

When I was on OkCupid, most of the men had beards, I was wondering why. I used to not like beards, but my ex-boyfriend had one & it made him look more sexy. I met a guy on OkCupid :D :D He has a beard, I like it, makes him more handsome.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 11:08 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
When I was on OkCupid, most of the men had beards, I was wondering why. I used to not like beards, but my ex-boyfriend had one & it made him look more sexy. I met a guy on OkCupid :D :D He has a beard, I like it, makes him more handsome.

My observation: women over 30 are more likely to like beards.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 11:12 am

Nope...no beard for me. I wouldn't look good in it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Feb 2020, 12:29 am

You guys could try appealing to both types of women by having a half beard :arrow:

~King Of The Hill

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nope...no beard for me. I wouldn't look good in it.

Nice new pic, KK.

I'm the opposite. Definitely a beard for me. I wouldn't look good without it.

I've even had people who generally have a bias against facial hair say I look better with a beard. There's a pretty high chance that I'll never be clean-shaven again

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:03 am

I've never worn a beard.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 3:43 am

^^^good move :afro:

i useta have a fu manchu number, but when it turned gray i shaved it all off, all that remains is a soul patch.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm

nick007 wrote:
You guys could try appealing to both types of women by having a half beard :arrow:

That too much beard for me.