Thinking about bringing up wanting an assessment...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 2:03 pm

I have another psychatrist appointment tomorrow... After still having meltdown issues. They still want me to practice DBT skills for them, but well I'm having difficulty with them.

I wish I could get an assessment, but my insurance won't pay for one as far as I know. And my doctor said last visit she doesn't feel that I need another label she feels wouldn't be helpful in my treatment.

I'm still feel tortured though... The ladies in the apartment complex and even the younger lady with ASD herself talk as if I have it and even thought my "special interest" in birds was amazing... my talk therapist thinks my problems relating to my husband are ASD related, not borderline personality. Even my husband is starting to believe it now after explaining it to him better.... But I keep thinking my pecurularities could be explained by other things??? The uncertainty of it and the fact my insurance won't pay for an assessment really hurts.

Just wanted to vent *rant over*

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:04 am

If your insurance won't cover an ASD diagnosis, you might consider trying to find out if, anywhere near where you live, there is a place where psychotherapy student "externs" work under the direction of a fully qualified psychotherapist who specializes in adult ASD. It won't be free, but MUCH cheaper than being evaluated directly by the fully qualified psychotherapist.

You might try contacting the Autism Alliance of Michigan and/or the Autism Society of Michigan to see if they know of such a place.

civil4life
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2019, 8:12 pm

Have you called your insurance yourself?

I just went through the process. The hard part for me was finding a psychologist on my insurance that would test adults.

Depending on the insurance you should not need a referral.

DBT has helpful skills that can help, but it is definitely not an all inclusive treatment.

If may be time to find a new psychiatrist and or therapist. Even without a diagnosis you could find a therapist that is experienced with Autism that can help working with the symptoms you are experiencing.

Also, check with local university's that have mental health clinics.