Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

love2connect
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2019, 1:22 pm

Once I started to experience some constant psychosis in university, my concentration was affected and I started to take a smaller class load.
However, even after taking care of the psychosis with medication, I started to get overwhelmed and could only take 2 philosophy classes at a time. (Mind you, I ALSO was overwhelmed in university before the psychosis but could take only about 3 classes. 3 is the average coursework load at my university.)

Even after ample rest and targeting psychosis, OCD, anxiety, depression with some meds, I STILL am so slow with schoolwork. And get overwhelmed and stressed easily.

I am ALSO getting evaluated for things like ADD (inattentive), dyslexia, etc.

I just really wish I had a solution because I really want to pursue higher education.

I would appreciate any input from my autism community.

And yes, I have been diagnosed with HFA and SPD.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:42 pm

What does SPD stand for?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2019, 1:49 pm

I don't have any psychosis but I couldn't keep the "normal" pace in studying.
One of the problems was likely sensory: schools and unis are not really sensory friendly, I got exhausted by merely being there; another problem is my inability to accept shallow knowledge. I must study everything thoroughly, creating precise structures in my mind - and it takes time. A lot of time.
Another problem was - I had to process a lot of my childhood traumas etc to enter adulthood, which was otherwise expected at that time. This also took a lot of time and effort.

Keep calm and take care of yourself!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

love2connect
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2019, 1:59 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
What does SPD stand for?

Sensory Processing Disorder

love2connect
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2019, 2:03 pm

magz wrote:
I don't have any psychosis but I couldn't keep the "normal" pace in studying.
One of the problems was likely sensory: schools and unis are not really sensory friendly, I got exhausted by merely being there; another problem is my inability to accept shallow knowledge. I must study everything thoroughly, creating precise structures in my mind - and it takes time. A lot of time.
Another problem was - I had to process a lot of my childhood traumas etc to enter adulthood, which was otherwise expected at that time. This also took a lot of time and effort.

Keep calm and take care of yourself!

Thanks for your reply!
I just feel so stuck. I will have to tell my neurologist and psychiatrist what is going on. Because I truly feel I am smart enough but feel like I have so much against me.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 2:15 pm

How interested in the courses are you?

love2connect
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2019, 1:33 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
How interested in the courses are you?

To be fair, I didn't really enjoy the philosophy courses. I chose philosophy because it had the least amount of reading and for some reason, I have always struggled with reading.

I am currently taking a neurophysiology course to see if I am interested in it.