Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

franklynerdy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2019, 5:38 pm

Copied from my profile bio, because I'm lazy like that:

Quote:
In May 2019, I graduated with my MS in Clinical Counseling. In that experience, I learned about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) for the first time really. I had some internship experiences working with individuals suspected of being on the spectrum, and slowly it dawned on me with increasing certainty that I have spent my entire life with undiagnosed ASD. I'm currently pursuing my PhD, where I am focusing my research on ASD in adults.

I actually stumbled across this site looking for online resources for individuals with ASD for an assignment for class. Tell me, what are some of your favorite online resources. Looking forward to hearing from you and meeting some new people.

-Frank

franklynerdy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2019, 6:37 pm

To share something a bit more personal, I have been a truck stop manager by a series of crises I helped navigate after being hired as a clerk, a controller for a small manufacturer of race engine parts for ATVs, I started my own business, a geeky hangout tea bar, and killed it with my social anxiety, then started an online tea business fiefdom and built WordPress sites with quirky e-commerce plugins. I had some big Kickstarter moments but I never really felt I connected with anyone and my business failed. I decided I wanted to go into counseling so I could help other people, but I think a lot of it has been about helping me. Since graduation it started slowly dawning on me that there is a reason why I have always struggled with social interaction and making friends, and its name is Autism. I'm grateful to have found this community of souls here. I hope to get to know some of you. I'm so tired of being lonely. I have also found companionship in academia. I'm busy working on my PhD and using every opportunity I can to do research on ASD and relationships. I love learning more about myself in this process. It makes so much of my life make so much sense. I am so excited for the opportunity to study this phenomenon more deeply (it has definitely become my new special interest, complete with driving my wife batshit--I have to work on that.) Anyway. Hello.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 6:57 pm

Hi FN :)! I too love academia, and have spent a number of decades both working with those on the spectrum, along with various other diagnoses, and giving support to those needing help in understanding their children, working with autism, not against it, using a positive behavioural approach. Hope you enjoy posting here and making new friends along the way.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 7:00 pm

First off, Welcome to Wrong Planet!

As far as resources, I have three for you. The first two are focused on stress and the mechanics for venting stress. They are not specifically Aspie related but Aspies endure so much stress in general that it ought to be our middle name. Unvented stress leads to distress which then can produce a variety of mental illnesses. When it comes to treating Aspies, these are must have books.

"In an Unspoken Voice" by Peter A. Levine.
"The Revolutionary Traum Release Process" by David Berceli.

The next book is by a member of this website named Jason Lu. He has an interesting book titled "Eikona Bridge". Jason is an Aspie and has two children that are on the Autistic Spectrum. The vast majority of individuals on the spectrum are Aspies or High Functioning Autistics (HFA). The most important aspect IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) of the autism and the concept of a spectrum is "Can low functioning and moderate functioning autistics (LFA and MFA) move up the scale and become high functioning?" Both of Jason's two children are on the low or moderate functioning part of the spectrum. But maybe the better verb to use in the previous sentence is "was". He has a rather unique way of teaching his children and integrating them into society.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 7:05 am

Welcome.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 11:38 am

franklynerdy wrote:
Tell me, what are some of your favorite online resources.

I've been collecting very long lists of resources and can't single out just a few of them as favorites. So, is there any particular aspect of ASD, or any related topic, you are especially interested in learning about at the moment? I could perhaps point you to resources on said topic.

Anyhow, welcome to Wrong Planet!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 1:31 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D