When Job Interviews Don't Go To Plan.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:04 am

Looking back, some of the job interviews I have had in the past have been funny, though I was dead serious and nurvous during the times of having them. To be honest, these days I don't think I could go through another job interview that easily. But I did reach a point about 15 to 20 years ago where I could breeze through them... (Usually straight through them and not get the job, but at least I was ok in the interview).

My first job interview was probably the most terrifying experience ever. I was 16 years old. It was for a saturday job as a postman, just one day a week. Ideal.
They invited about 30 of us to the interview at the same time. I saw someone I knew from primary school. As his dad was wealthy he then went into a private school (Means a school where ones parents paid so their son can get a priveledged education).
We all had to sit a basic exam and also fill out the application form there and then.
Now this is my first application form, and I take things a little too literally. I read the bit where it said you must answer all questions truthfully and as accurately as possible and if you don't proceedings could be taken against you.... Well. This was imprinted i to my mind as I was writing out the application.
Then after the time was up, most of the group were called forward one at a time. My old primary school collegue looked at me smugly as his name was called. Umm. It didn't look good for me! Just nine of us were left.
Then we were told "I am pleased to tell you, that you have passed the exam and now we are doing the interviews". (It became obvious the ones they had previously called one by one had failed the exam).
There was a panel of about 13 men and one woman who took the interview and it was loaded questions based on the application form and other questions all designed to be fired at you before you are given a chance to answer them. I am shy, but as I couldn't cope with this and thought it was rather rude, I became annoyed and stopped them and said "One at a time!" (Which is a bit unlike me! I surprized myself!) So they went slower for me and then they came to a question about my medical record.
Now I had filled out the application form as detailed and as honestly as I could, so when the form asked if I had ever been in hospital I had made a detailed list that I could remember... From when I was born onwards. The form should have said "Have you ever stayed in hospital over a period of time", but I found out that the ones interviewing me that I had answered wrongly. They asked "How long were you in hospital when you fractured your arm?" It was one of the things I had listed. "About three or four hours at the most" I replied.
Then I could see some of the panel trying to stop themselves from erupting in laughter. Well, I listed an event where I had to go to hospital where I had well and truely got myself caught in my trousers zip. (Which was an amusing story in itself which I will leave for another time). Then one said "We won't ask you about the other parts..." And they said I could go. (I think they ended the interview early so those who couldn't keep a straight face could laugh after I had left the building).
They wrote to me saying I didn't get the job.

I have had a few embarissing interviews. One was where as my firs name could be seen as a girl or a boy, and is more popular as a girl if it is spelt differently, they must have assumed it was a girl. I had not heard of this new shop and had assumed it was some sort of clothes shop, and as I was retail trained in a bicycle shop, and the jobcentre staff had tried to get me to consider other retail trade subjects, assuming that it was a clothes shop or some sort of catalogue shop, I went for an interview in a new store called Ann Summers. I didn't get the job. I looked much younger then I was so even though I was in my early 20's people used to report me for not being in school. I had this happen when I was 24 years old once! Not surprizingly, as I looked more like I was 14, and didn't habe a clue about what they sold, and had I known I would have been way out of my deprh as a shy country lad with a somewhat sheltered background...

Another interview, was for the railway. I was given a warrant for a trip to the big city for the interview. On the way up in the train, I got myself locked inside the toilet for a while! I didn't mention it in the interview. I got the job. Was the longest job I have been in as every day is a dfferent shift and we had many different lines we worked, so it kept myself from getting frustrated for a longer period, though the various shifts took their toll and I almost committed suicide as I wasn't thinking straight through lack of sleep etc. But as railways are one of my special interests... I doubt I could do it now though. I used to mask soo well.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 8:50 am

I have got jobs by knowing someone or otherwise demonstrating skill. Only one job by interview and it didn't go well. For childcare, I was asked if I hit my husband. It would have been nice if she explained they were looking for sign of domestic abuse and not merely physical contact. I "hit" my husband all the time: from a high five to when he puts his hand up so I can get a good whack when over-stimulated. I felt it wasn't appropriate to say "all the time", so answered "yes". She asked for an example so I gave her the most recent one: My husband teased me and I slapped him on the shoulder. She reported "she slaps her husband". I had to go through a couple of hoops to continue with the childcare.

I have to get a new job now and my stomach is in knots thinking about interviewing. I plan to make it my temporary Interest and "study", but am reluctant...