"But a woman's number of options doesn't matter!"

Page 9 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 3:01 pm

↑ Just a suggestion: Next time, say "My mother lives with me."

The implication being that you are caring for and supporting her, and not the other way around.

It also implies that you are both compassionate and responsible.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
↑ Just a suggestion: Next time, say "My mother lives with me."

The implication being that you are caring for and supporting her, and not the other way around.

It also implies that you are both compassionate and responsible.

Interesting suggestion. I'll need to wrangle my head around the implications of making such a statement though. My mother owns the house I live in, eventually I'll get right to first refusal when she dies though but I can move out on a whim. I have mountains of options for living on my own (obviously) that's literally written into the governments records with my name on it but it's surprising who mocks me for not having a "home" and not being "independent" when they ironically usually rely on a landlord for their home and resulting "independence"

I just can't really be arsed to live on my own and nothing more. It's sort of a mutual thing between us but my mother would actually be in trouble if I left. She's doesn't have the money to afford the bills on her own.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 4:46 pm

Nades wrote:
. . . my mother would actually be in trouble if I left. She's doesn't have the money to afford the bills on her own.
Perfect validation for the (slightly stretched) truth that your mum lives with you.

If you were the stereotypical basement-dwelling lout living off your mum's pension, that would make the situation a bit touchy; but you are supporting her, and that is what any good son should do.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
. . . my mother would actually be in trouble if I left. She's doesn't have the money to afford the bills on her own.
Perfect validation for the (slightly stretched) truth that your mum lives with you.

If you were the stereotypical basement-dwelling lout living off your mum's pension, that would make the situation a bit touchy; but you are supporting her, and that is what any good son should do.

I have been thinking about how to approach the house subject for a while now. Being truthful seems to regularly give the wrong impression of me being "houseless" and a basement dweller. Someone who never grew up and is lazy so to speak.

It's a unique situation with me so stretching the truth will probably cast me in a more honest light....weirdly.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:32 pm

My Filipina gf lived with her mother (who has cancer), her sister and her daughter and her niece.

She’s the sole breadwinner tho.

Some cultures simply don’t put elders in nursing houses (and most likely can’t afford to).

Oh, for those mocking you, tell them f**k you, straight to face.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:48 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
My Filipina gf lived with her mother (who has cancer), her sister and her daughter and her niece.

She’s the sole breadwinner tho.

Some cultures simply don’t put elders in nursing houses (and most likely can’t afford to).

Oh, for those mocking you, tell them f**k you, straight to face.

I heard it's very common in many cultures around the world.

I might next time. The irony of tenants mocking a landlord for living at home with his mother. I stand more chance of owning their home that they do (albeit small)

It's seriously gear grinding as much as I like to keep quiet about it one to one, face to face.

It's pops up in online dating from time to time. Mostly it pops up in person though with casual acquaintances.

Vetting people for houses and cars during dating is fair but only within reason. What I mentioned above isn't at all within reason.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 May 2022, 10:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't mean a long essay.

I mean.....maybe a paragraph about myself. Not one or two-word messages.

I wouldn't respond to someone just saying "Hi."
That was my approach but it did not work but nothing honest about myself probably would have worked for me on dating sites. A simple Hi is common for bots & even if the person was real, I would NOT know how to respond do that.

Fnord wrote:
However, there are some things often mentioned in on-line profiles that may inspire a man to look elsewhere.  Some of the most prevalent are:

• Bitterness, Expressed or Implied: Simply mentioning that you may have had a troubled relationship in the past implies that you will likely have more troubled relationships in the future.  No man wants trouble.  Sweeten up!
I must not be a real man because I kinda like women like that :lol:

Fnord wrote:
• Desperation: Do you have a "ticking clock"?  Are you feeling anxious that all your peers and siblings have each found their "special someone" while you have not?  Are your parents pressuring you to get married (and maybe produce some grandkids)?  If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, under no circumstances are you to say so in your profile, as this smacks of desperation.  I know of no man who is happy at being considered a woman's last, desperate chance at love (unless he is into domination and exploitation)
I hate domination & exploitation but I really liked desperate women who are OK with not having kids, thinking of pets & occasionally me as kids is fine thou :wink:

Fnord wrote:
• Desire for Commitment/Marriage: Most men seem to want to "Take Things Slow" when it comes to relationships (unless it has to do with sex, of course).  References to marriage and/or weddings -- even if it is just a pic of you in a bridesmaid dress -- may make a man a leery of getting to know you, because you are "obviously" hinting that you are seeking a husband.
I take relationships fast but sex is not important to me(I could take it or leave it) & I majorly like the idea of commitment. I'd rather not waste my time pursuing someone who has no clue what she wants or does not want.

Fnord wrote:
• Negativity: Unless you are specifically looking for a man who is into depression and darkness, keep things light and positive.
I never been a goth but I do like some gothic things. I should post some pix of my crystal skull collection & my various knives/blades one day. I like gothic women & women that are not goth but have depression. I've been very depressed before & I can relate to those types of women. I'm actually much less depressed being with a depressed woman than I was when I was single. I can use my negative experiences to help relate & be supportive.

Fnord wrote:
• Obvious Photoshopping: Many men are tech-savvy enough to be able to spot minute irregularities in even the best of Photoshopped images.  Better to wait for that unsightly pimple to fade away than to try impressing men with that "air-brushed" look.
I have bad vision & I've had an OCD obsession with fake pix of celebs before so I tend to notice pix are photoshopped without being very tech-savvy. A pic being photoshopped would not stop me from messaging her if I thought I'd might have half a chance in hell with her after reading her profile or the message she sent me if she actually sent me one 1st. However I would rather see a real pic that includes the pimple because I really like imperfection since I'm well aware that I'm very imperfect. Pimples could be very cute on some women :drunken: I don't think that the Liberty Bell would be any more popular if it never developed that crack so imperfect looks could be good :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition