Looking for a doctoral program focused on ASD in adults

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 6:21 pm

Thank you. That's kinda the whole point. Change has to start somewhere.

Sure would be nice if you could answer some of my questions. Refusal to answer is in and of itself an answer, but I'm still going to ask, and give you the chance to speak for yourself, which is more respect than you've shown me throughout this entire conversation.

Are you going to keep beating the same dead horse? Yes, we've established that past practices have been less than ideal, if not outright harmful, not to mention short sighted due to their lack of autistic inclusion. I've agreed with you on that repeatedly, and cited it as among my reasons for involvement in this field. I've kinda lived through it. A long life, too. But I wasn't a part of those practices, and I'm not one of those evil clueless non-autistic researchers you keep referencing. Nobody can change the past, so nobody can retroactively address those problems, and that's a crime and a shame. But to continuously throw that in my face is uncalled for. Don't take it out on me.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 8:54 am

I read the first couple of Demoninator’s replies, but skimmed once you guys started arguing. His first reply was spot on.

I was in a doctoral program doing autism research in adults before my health and being a mom took over my time and abilities.

In order to study and do work in autism, you have to do your degrees under psychology or something related. The reason for that is because autism is classified as a psychological disorder. Let me tell you why.

Can we SEE autism in psychical structures? Maybe the brains are “wired different”, but do we know if that occurs in all autistics? Could it be the result of autistic behaviors? As in, you see things a certain way for so long and it forms neural pathways that go X instead of Y. Would a person trained to act autistic have the same physical brain structures as a true autist? We just don’t know.

So the only way we know if people are autistic or not is through their outward behaviors and self proclaimed inner states. That is psychology. Psychology is an offshoot of philosophy. I would say it’s philosophy masquerading as medicine.

I was studying autism under sociology, and like Denom said, it was almost entirely self driven. I hope Kansas is more autism progressive than my state, Virginia. I really had to scratch around to find support systems to study autistics as a social class as opposed to a diagnostic group. You have to fight to stay positive in autism research. Lots of people who study autism (even if they are autistic themselves) are seeking to eradicate autism. The NTs often see themselves as above autistics, and the autistic academics sometimes are so scarred by their environments and experiences that they are also negative about autism.

Good luck! It can be done and needs to be done more often!

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2020, 3:03 pm

Hi. I'm sorry this is so late. There are probably no official doctoral programs that do what you want, but there are individual professors (who can serve as your graduate advisor) who can do this. So what you need to do is look for publications in professional journals that talk about what you are interested in, and then find out where the authors are located. For example, my husband works in the psychology department at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. One of his colleagues, Amy Cohen, studies the diagnosis and treatment of adult women on the spectrum. I'm not sure whether she is taking on more graduate students, but if you emailed her, she might be able to give you some specific people to look for. Good luck. This is an important field and too few people are working in it.