Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2019, 8:07 am

These are understandable questions to ask in our current age, but my answers will surprise.

As I've learned more and more about my faith (Christianity), I'm less inclined to "fight for my rights" (as much as my natural inclination would like to!), and instead seek to be thankful for what I do have, and wish to be more content with what I have. Few these days are fond of turning the other cheek, or are thankful they live better than previous generations, or are content with their lots in life. There's so much outrage coming from every demographic that's not white male (and also outrage coming from white males, lol).

And yet, in Western culture, all of us are living the easiest lives perhaps ever recorded in modern history for all groups, women and minority populations included. Most people had to work grueling hours and die of diseases throughout history, as well as endure far worse gender and racial prejudice than what we see today (remember, 100 years ago, women couldn't even vote, and blacks were still lynched). It's like we're not thankful for the gains we've seen.

As far as disabilities go, as recently as the 1970s, many still lived in crowded asylums where they were treated like robots. Now those with disabilities are encouraged to live in the least restrictive environment (LRE) and often have their own houses in ISL (individualized supporting living) arrangements, and many even have jobs.

The fact that most aren't thankful for such progress reveals our inherently self-centered natures. We try to disguise it in the name of social justice and equality, but in all truth, we're perpetually self-obsessed in whatever way is most suitable to us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 8:14 am

I would say that we've made much progress....yes.....and really should learn from history.

But we should also seek to make conditions better for us----while being sensible about it. Progress is sometimes only obtained when one is confrontational in a sensible way.

It is not sensible, to me, to lambaste neurotypicals for being "privileged." Especially when they are not actually "privileged." It turns off the NT from seeking to help the person who called him/her "privileged."

ids
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2019, 8:32 pm

Too jaded to care.

All of human progress is driven by the atypical. Without the aspies all STEM would grind to a halt. If they dont value us well good luck running those nuclear plants. Har har. AQ is 18.9 for NTs and 21.9 for STEM workers.

Here is the steeple

Soylent Green is made out of people.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 2:05 am

kdm1984 wrote:
And yet, in Western culture, all of us are living the easiest lives perhaps ever recorded in modern history for all groups, women and minority populations included. Most people had to work grueling hours and die of diseases throughout history, as well as endure far worse gender and racial prejudice than what we see today (remember, 100 years ago, women couldn't even vote, and blacks were still lynched). It's like we're not thankful for the gains we've seen.

Yes, let's be thankful for these gains. But let's remember whom to thank, including labor unions and the relevant civil rights movements for blacks and women.

kdm1984 wrote:
As far as disabilities go, as recently as the 1970s, many still lived in crowded asylums where they were treated like robots. Now those with disabilities are encouraged to live in the least restrictive environment (LRE) and often have their own houses in ISL (individualized supporting living) arrangements, and many even have jobs.

Thanks to (1) the mental patients' rights movement, (2) the disability rights movement, and (3) various media personalities who were willing to give airtime to these movements.

kdm1984 wrote:
The fact that most aren't thankful for such progress reveals our inherently self-centered natures.

I think it reveals historical ignorance, primarily.

kdm1984 wrote:
We try to disguise it in the name of social justice and equality, but in all truth, we're perpetually self-obsessed in whatever way is most suitable to us.

Yes, people are more likely to notice injustices when they are the victims of said injustices, rather than the relatively privileged. But that fact doesn't invalidate the fight against injustice by disadvantaged groups.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 3:25 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
also hate the term, "Check your privilege." It drives me up the wall.

Usually said by those with a serious chip on their shoulder

- George Bernie Shaw

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 9:50 am

The term "check you privilege" that is, not you Cockneyrebel. (Just in case you misunderstood my brief comment) :)

- George Bernie Shaw

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 4:26 pm

ASAN have been incredibly effective in promoting, advocating for, and creating change in various countries, and on a number of levels. It was created by those on the spectrum, with a strong, positive message, that I find inspirational. They’re also responsible for saving some people from intolerable situations, encourage self advocacy. Our activities include public policy advocacy, the development of autistic cultural activities, and leadership trainings for autistic self-advocates. We provide information about autism, disability rights, and systems change to the public through a number of different educational, cultural, and advocacy related projects.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 1:51 am

Juliette wrote:
ASAN have been incredibly effective in promoting, advocating for, and creating change in various countries, and on a number of levels. It was created by those on the spectrum, with a strong, positive message, that I find inspirational. They’re also responsible for saving some people from intolerable situations, encourage self advocacy. Our activities include public policy advocacy, the development of autistic cultural activities, and leadership trainings for autistic self-advocates. We provide information about autism, disability rights, and systems change to the public through a number of different educational, cultural, and advocacy related projects.

Insofar as ASAN has been successful, to what do you attribute its success? What do you think will be necessary (beside people donating money to ASAN itself) in order for it to continue to be as successful as it has been?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 2:22 am

Great leadership - Ari Ne’eman was brilliant at the helm. It continues to bring important issues to the attention of those willing and able to assist, I love how it empowers College students, and gives them the tools and the voice to advocate for any changes necessary, and in so doing, has built up a wonderful network of empowered young adults. Their ability to organise and co-ordinate is impressive. In order for it to continue to be successful, they need to be vocal in media coverage(as they’ve done in the past in some brilliant articles, promoting positive awareness and encouraging respect and understanding). They also need to keep their finger on the pulse, so to speak, and ensure that advocacy is highlighted and rallied for, as and when issues arise. They basically need to continue with all they’ve been doing, and keep their head held high, knowing that they are making a difference.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2019, 2:44 am

There is an NT privilege occuring, but it is not the main pressing issue. The real issue is unintentional NT oppression. The thing is, NT's and Aspies experience the world differently. Language is constructed around NT experience. The disparity between NT and Aspie modes of thought can be oppresive to the Aspie who has to always succumb to the NT way of "doing things".

My boyfriend and I figured out that NT's engage in conversational gestalt. They see the outlines of the other mind like as if it was a vase, or two people, or... While I kind of have this explicit ongoing copycat mind that requires one-track of thought. Just knowing that helps, because now we can see why we had so many fights. Our comunication protocols were drastically different. His is scatter-shot and lossy, while mine is linear and exacting.

NT's do all sorts of crazy stuff conversationally and they don't even know it. I don't know, we should support ASAN and similar, get the word out the best you can. What else can we do but what we can, you know???

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 5:55 am

tensordyne wrote:
There is an NT privilege occuring, but it is not the main pressing issue. The real issue is unintentional NT oppression. The thing is, NT's and Aspies experience the world differently. Language is constructed around NT experience. The disparity between NT and Aspie modes of thought can be oppresive to the Aspie who has to always succumb to the NT way of "doing things".

I think I agree with that the oppression is unintentional. Most NTs seem to want to help, but don't know want is actually helpful to us.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 8:41 am

I feel as though "neurotypical privilege" isn't the best term. We Autistics have it slightly different from other "oppressed" groups imo. Whereas PoC, LGBT, etc, are wrongly discriminated against due to misunderstandings of their label, and are seen as arbitrarily "different" (when what you look like, where your ancestors are from, or who you're attracted to don't really necessarily translate that much into your day to day life or your interactions with others), we actually /are/ different and that /does/ affect how we interact with the world.

Most NTs/Allistics I interact with who have excluded me or made fun of me aren't inherently bad people. It's in their genetic wiring to exclude those who can't connect like them. It's like, back throughout most of evolutionary history, if someone was acting kind of different from the rest of the pack, not engaging in the same kind of affiliative behaviors as everyone else, that meant something was wrong with them and you had to cull them out so that they didn't hurt anyone or taint the population's genetics. Not saying that's what AS is, but Allistics are hardwired to think like that.

So they can't really help it, and I don't think simple cultural education or justice is sufficient. I don't really know what the solution to our problems is, but I don't think we can think of ourselves as "like" other oppressed groups completely. Our situation is much more nuanced than that.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 2:46 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Especially not when even people in this community attack others for not fitting a certain mold.

That happens in groups in general, alas. When it happens to enough people, a group splits. A healthy subculture includes a wide variety of groups, so that a wide variety of people can find places where they can feel comfortable and accepted.

I am surprised I didn’t get a deluge of “f**k you!”’s by those who have ill will for me for my post.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 1:58 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Most NTs/Allistics I interact with who have excluded me or made fun of me aren't inherently bad people. It's in their genetic wiring to exclude those who can't connect like them. It's like, back throughout most of evolutionary history, if someone was acting kind of different from the rest of the pack, not engaging in the same kind of affiliative behaviors as everyone else, that meant something was wrong with them and you had to cull them out so that they didn't hurt anyone or taint the population's genetics. Not saying that's what AS is, but Allistics are hardwired to think like that.

So they can't really help it, and I don't think simple cultural education or justice is sufficient. I don't really know what the solution to our problems is, but I don't think we can think of ourselves as "like" other oppressed groups completely. Our situation is much more nuanced than that.

This is why we absolutely need to build a bigger and better organized autistic community/subculture than now exists. As the community gets better organized, there will also be more autistic-friendly workplaces and other things we need. I'm not advocating separatism here; we will need the help of sympathetic NT/allistic friends/relatives. But we need to get serious about building our community.

(See the separate thread Building the autistic community?, especially page 2 of that thread. See also the threads Autistic-friendly workplaces and Autistic-friendly social skills vs. blending in with NT's.)

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 3:55 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

Thanks for directing to that thread Mona, that was really useful

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 6:18 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Whale_Tuune wrote:

This is why we absolutely need to build a bigger and better organized autistic community/subculture than now exists. As the community gets better organized, there will also be more autistic-friendly workplaces and other things we need. I'm not advocating separatism here; we will need the help of sympathetic NT/allistic friends/relatives. But we need to get serious about building our community.

(See the separate thread Building the autistic community?, especially page 2 of that thread. See also the threads Autistic-friendly workplaces and Autistic-friendly social skills vs. blending in with NT's.)

I agree with this. I think that we absorb all these ideas of how we should behave from Allistic society and even well-meaning Allistic professionals and family members. I think many of us could go to places where it's okay to be different. Sympathetic Allistics could visit such places to get acclimated to environments where there are no unspoken "right" ways to behave, and learn that we're all just healthy people doing our own things.