Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 6:18 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Whale_Tuune wrote:
Most NTs/Allistics I interact with who have excluded me or made fun of me aren't inherently bad people. It's in their genetic wiring to exclude those who can't connect like them. It's like, back throughout most of evolutionary history, if someone was acting kind of different from the rest of the pack, not engaging in the same kind of affiliative behaviors as everyone else, that meant something was wrong with them and you had to cull them out so that they didn't hurt anyone or taint the population's genetics. Not saying that's what AS is, but Allistics are hardwired to think like that.

So they can't really help it, and I don't think simple cultural education or justice is sufficient. I don't really know what the solution to our problems is, but I don't think we can think of ourselves as "like" other oppressed groups completely. Our situation is much more nuanced than that.

This is why we absolutely need to build a bigger and better organized autistic community/subculture than now exists. As the community gets better organized, there will also be more autistic-friendly workplaces and other things we need. I'm not advocating separatism here; we will need the help of sympathetic NT/allistic friends/relatives. But we need to get serious about building our community.

(See the separate thread Building the autistic community?, especially page 2 of that thread. See also the threads Autistic-friendly workplaces and Autistic-friendly social skills vs. blending in with NT's.)

I agree with this. I think that we absorb all these ideas of how we should behave from Allistic society and even well-meaning Allistic professionals and family members. I think many of us could go to places where it's okay to be different. Sympathetic Allistics could visit such places to get acclimated to environments where there are no unspoken "right" ways to behave, and learn that we're all just healthy people doing our own things.