Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2019, 4:32 am

'Our World': Evansville 12-year-old publishes book to spread Autism awareness

Quote:
Twelve-year-old Deleah Payne wants people to know what it's like living on the Autism Disorder Spectrum.

The McGary Middle School seventh-grader decided to write and publish her first book to help others understand that all autistic kids are just as capable and talented as other students.

The book titled "Our World" celebrates autism awareness and explains autism from Deleah and her six-year-old sister Delynn's perspective.

"It's a book about my autism and my little sister's autism," Payne said. "I really do want to help those kids, because life has been getting hard lately, and this book will teach everybody to not mess with these types of people. We're special too. No two autistic people are exactly the same."

Payne says she was bullied throughout elementary school for her disorder, prompting her to speak out for other students with similar obstacles. She said the bullying was tough for her.

"Autism just means we see things differently; it doesn't mean we are weird. Sometimes we make funny movements to help us feel comfortable," Payne wrote in her book.

Delisa Payne, the mother of Deleah and Delynn, said she was open to the book idea when Deleah presented it to her, saying, "I told her, let's do it."

"I was excited, proud and knew she was going to kill it when she started writing," she said. "She was bullied all through school until she reached McGary. As she got older, she started to realize that some of the kids and people out in public didn't know about Autism. We get a lot of stares, and people come up and ask questions daily. But when it comes to kids, they just don't know."

Deleah said she was able to write, draw and self-publish the 63-page paperback book in two months. Art is her favorite subject in school and she regularly sketches and paints.

"I was like 'wow' when the book was first published," she said. "I felt like only two or three people would buy this book, but actually, 1,000 people really did like it and bought it. I cried because it felt good. "

Delisa Payne said writing and drawing helps Deleah express herself and get her points across. She encourages all autistic families to push their children to do everything they are interested in.

"Make it happen for them, because she's written plenty of stories, but it takes a parent to make it happen and bring it to reality," she said. "I encourage all autism families to be the bridge for your kid between their world and our world because they don't have anyone else to advocate or speak for them."

The Paynes are working to establish a nonprofit called Differently, Talented, Extraordinary, Autistic, Minds (D.T.E.A.M.) sometime this fall. D.T.E.A.M. seeks to give autism students a platform to be creative through writing, sports, art, music, and STEM activities.

Deleah is currently working on her next project — a comic book. She hopes to become a Youtuber or gamer when she grows up. She also wants to own an art studio.

Our World can be purchased online at www.deleahsgalaxy.com for $15 per copy. A book signing tour will happen soon, Delisa Payne said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 10:02 pm

I hope that young Sweet Pea sells lots of copies of her book.