Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Justin101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2019, 7:41 am

Everywhere there is information on Asperger's Syndrome.

What I'm surprised about is there's no references to specific treatments or medications that one can pursue or obtain.

I am in my early 30s and tired of this condition impeding a happy, normal life. For all intents and purposes it's like having one's limbs severed, or a chronic illness, which would have a range of solutions and treatments. So why is there nothing for Asperger's Syndrome?

Is there not a recognition within the medical community of how serious the condition is?

I partly wonder of there are actually effective treatments but they are being kept secret.

If anyone here knows of a specific treatment/remedy/solution then please give details!!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 7:49 am

If there was a treatment that works, I highly doubt it would be kept secret since people in general don't like others who are too different without there being any specific, easy to prove reason for it (like the culture the person grew up in or such), so they'd do what they can to make those others match their molds.

As for why there isn't, well, I'm sure some people have searched, but just haven't found the way. And while it has a huge toll on many people's lives, the fact is that autism doesn't kill while many other conditions do, so of course the deadly ones have priority.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 8:18 am

Nope. There is no treatment or cure for autism/aspergers.

:lol: Because you had to be very specific on what you are aiming for.
If your aim is to treat aspergers, you might as well try find a way to cure humanity of itself instead of figuring what is making them itch and alleviate said itch.

There ARE treatments for executive dysfunction, mental health and psychological issues, stress, social impairments, mood disorders, sensory issues, communication issues, other health issues related to gastrointestinal or neurological or biochemical in nature, etc.
Coping strategies, equipments, accommodations, therapy, exercises, diet, medications, maintenances, work arounds.

Whichever is best in one's case, because autism itself is very heterogeneous. No treatment works for all.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

GammaV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2019, 8:21 am

I feel the same, but I don't want a treatment. I want a CURE. Unfortunately, there are some in the autism community who are totally opposed to the prospect of a cure. I wonder if they have any impact on the search for one, or if they're even autistic. I have suspected them of being shills for the pharmaceutical industry before, believing said industry would profit more from offering medications to treat the symptoms than offering a cure that will only need to be administered once or a scant number of times.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Aug 2019, 8:42 am

There is no cure because the mechanism beyond autism hasn't been figured out.

The existing research indicates:
1. Enormous heterogeneity even among those on the "severe autism end";
2. No substantial difference between different levels of autism on molecular level ("severe" autism and BAP seem to be caused by the same genes).

BAP does not need a cure as it isn't a disorder and for more severe presentations of autism, the existing knowledge indicates there will never be a "one size fits all" cure, just a selection of cures and treatments for a particular patient.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 8:43 am

A treatment or cure would allow us to learn something for which we have no capacity. A similar treatment would allow anyone to learn math such as calculus.

Why can't we learn social clues or recognize faces. Why isn't there a pill for that?

I think some of us can learn, but it maybe that the "system" is going about it the wrong way.
Look at all the the time people have to learn critical writing and math. Roughly a decade.
Perhaps if social training were the same we would be able to pick it up over a span of a decade.
It would allow for more appropriate social training.
We can't possibly learn about romantic relationships at a young age. But it may be appropriate a decade later.
Folks don't learn quantum mechanics in grade school.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 1:04 pm

For me, the "treatment" is being with people who value my special abilities enough to protect my vulnerabilities. That way, it is a win-win. We need matchmakers much more than we need drugs or reprogramming.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 2:39 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
There ARE treatments for executive dysfunction, mental health and psychological issues, stress, social impairments, mood disorders, sensory issues, communication issues, other health issues related to gastrointestinal or neurological or biochemical in nature, etc.
Coping strategies, equipments, accommodations, therapy, exercises, diet, medications, maintenances, work arounds.

I'll have some of those, please! (I wish it was that easy for me; I'm working on it. I'm at Step 1: Awareness. Although I have naturally found "treatments" along the way.)

GammaV wrote:
Unfortunately, there are some in the autism community who are totally opposed to the prospect of a cure.

I wonder that the beauty of my sensitivity and intelligence would be lost if the horror of those same issues was "cured". That said, I believe in moderation, so I don't mind losing some of the benefits to manage the disadvantages. Does that mean the spring flowers and fall foliage wouldn't be as beautiful, but I wouldn't be as agitated at other times? Hmmm.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 3:10 pm

There is no treatment or cure because we are not broken. The problems we have are not because there is something wrong with us. The problems we have are because society is designed to neurologically assault us and invalidate everything about our existence. If society were to change a few simple things in how it understood and treated people who are different, we would not have any problems and our lives would not be impaired.

Wreck It Ralph

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 3:43 pm

GammaV wrote:
I feel the same, but I don't want a treatment. I want a CURE. Unfortunately, there are some in the autism community who are totally opposed to the prospect of a cure.

Many of us are leery of the idea of a "cure" because autism affects so many aspects of our personalities that a complete "cure" would turn us into completely different people, and it would likely cause us to lose abilities as well disabilities.

GammaV wrote:
I wonder if they have any impact on the search for one, or if they're even autistic. I have suspected them of being shills for the pharmaceutical industry before, believing said industry would profit more from offering medications to treat the symptoms than offering a cure that will only need to be administered once or a scant number of times.

A total "cure" for autism would need to be highly customized to the individual, and hence would cost a lot of money per person. So any reasonable profit on administering this "cure" would still be an awful lot of profit. So, no, leeriness of a "cure" is not driven by anyone's fear of losing profits.

However, if and when medical science ever acquires the ability to tinker with the human brain in such a fine-grained way, this will raise LOTS of thorny ethical questions, and not just for autistic people and their families.

Back to your own desire for a cure. What do you, personally, consider to be your worst autism-related problems?

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 31 Aug 2019, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 3:46 pm

Justin101 wrote:
I am in my early 30s and tired of this condition impeding a happy, normal life. For all intents and purposes it's like having one's limbs severed, or a chronic illness

What do you consider to be your worst autism-related problems?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 3:53 pm

I have Asperger's and I don't think it's anything like having a terminal illness or having my finger's severed. I just see it as not desiring to follow social norms, not needing to follow social norms, and becoming stressed and hostile when it tries to make me follow social norms instead of doing things my own way and being who I am. Therefore, it is only because of being forced to live in an autism-unfriendly society that makes my life difficult. I don't need treatment. I need human beings to stop being idiots.

As if that'll ever happen. :x

NTs only listen to all the negative stuff, and when any autistic person *is* shown in a positive way, they say we're horrible for "normalizing" it. In that case I guess "normalizing" people who need to wear glasses is wrong, too. :roll:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm

SharonB wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

I'll have some of those, please! (I wish it was that easy for me; I'm working on it. I'm at Step 1: Awareness. Although I have naturally found "treatments" along the way.)

Self-awareness is a good first step.

All I do know is that I'm not an order-oriented person 'in-spite' of being autistic, which many relies much on order, repetition, punctuality and routine...
But several here in this forum can definitely point you in certain directions and you get to find what works for you.

And my circumstances are also different. Availability, accessibility... Didn't get to know how it was like other than to lack of any of it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 9:23 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Many of us are leery of the idea of a "cure" because autism affects so many aspects of our personalities that a complete "cure" would turn us into completely different people, and it would likely cause us to lose abilities as well disabilities.

One other important, related issue I forgot to mention:

GammaV wrote:
... a cure that will only need to be administered once or a scant number of times.

If the "cure" is a permanent one-shot deal, then so too are any and all undesired side-effects.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2019, 9:43 pm

skibum wrote:
There is no treatment or cure because we are not broken. The problems we have are not because there is something wrong with us. The problems we have are because society is designed to neurologically assault us and invalidate everything about our existence. If society were to change a few simple things in how it understood and treated people who are different, we would not have any problems and our lives would not be impaired.

Hmmm, I think I disagree with you there. I live with my husband and children, my husband completely accepts who I am and we decide how our house runs. There are aspects of my condition that still cause epic grief to me and life is complicated and hard in all sorts of ways because of my ASD. It's no one else's fault, it's just life.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 1:02 am

plokijuh wrote:
Hmmm, I think I disagree with you there. I live with my husband and children, my husband completely accepts who I am and we decide how our house runs. There are aspects of my condition that still cause epic grief to me and life is complicated and hard in all sorts of ways because of my ASD. It's no one else's fault, it's just life.

Although the goal of a complete "cure" is problematic in various ways, it is certainly desirable to have treatments for those aspects of ASD (and co-occurring conditions) that cause us the most grief and that couldn't be alleviated by just putting us in a situation where our needs could be accommodated.