Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 1:25 am

A Quinnipiac university poll finds Trump trailing democratic canidates in the polls

Trump trails Biden by 16 points

Buttigieg by 9 points

former Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren,Vermont senator Bernie Sanders,California senator Kamala Harris all lead Trump as well by at least 5 points

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 2:18 am

Deja Vu?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 8:50 am

I am suprised Biden is doing so well with all the crazy things he says,I would have though Elizabeth Warren would have been ahead.then again she has baggage too

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 11:10 am

In 2016 hardly anybody predicted Trump would have even a minimal chance at winning. They read the poll numbers with their own prejudices and were not looking at what the data was saying. Before the primaries as commentators we laughing at the very thought of Trump winning even though he was consistently leading in the primary polls similar to Joe Biden now. During the general election he would be within range say something outrageous fall 7 or 8 points behind it seemed over the pundit world breathed a sigh of relief then he would bounce back within range. Right before the election polls had Hillary with a three or four point lead. She won the popular vote by 2.9 percent. The idea of catastrophic poll failure in 2016 is an urban legend, the catastrophic failures occurred elsewhere.

What I see now is a typical American overcorrection reaction both by panicked progressives and cocky Trump supporters.

Of course anything can happen and we are months away from the first actual votes being counted but right now it is not looking good for Trump at all despite the Democrats seemingly handing him weapon after weapon. First of all what are the chances that if Trump loses the popular vote by 2 or more points he will win the electoral college again?

First he has to get 46 percent of the electorate to vote for him again to even get back to where he was in 2016. There is no sign he is willing or able to do that, to go beyond his very loyal base.

2020 will not be 2016. In 2016 nobody thought he was going to win and even if he did the office would humble him. Those delusions are long gone.

In conclusion in order for Trump to be reelected the democrats have to have a catastrophic failure multiple times worse then what they did in 2016. Based on the debates and the campaign so far and the history of that party there are reasons to be queasy if you hate Trump. But right now the numbers are much more suggestive of him losing in a landslide both in popular vote and electoral college then him being reelected.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 01 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 12:19 pm

Gee! That is what they said last time. Polls can be very unreliable and biased even on the best of days.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 12:35 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Gee! That is what they said last time. Polls can be very unreliable and biased even on the best of days.

That is why you have to look at aggregate/meta polls over over a period of time. You have to look at the numbers with your head not your heart which is understandably difficult to do in this climate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 1:25 am

jimmy m wrote:

Trump was within margin of error of polls with Hillary leading upto election. On a national level he was down 3 points and lost the popular vote by 2 points. The problem is not with the polls, but the unreasonable confidence people had in a small polling lead materializing into a much larger electoral victory. The polls were off in Romney-Obama by a similar margin, just the other way. They had Obama +1 and he actually won +4.

Now it's true that polls 16 months before the election are not the most accurate at predicting the election. Things change and so do voters opinions. If Trump is still -16 in October 2020 he's going down hard.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 1:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In 2016 hardly anybody predicted Trump would have even a minimal chance at winning. They read the poll numbers with their own prejudices and were not looking at what the data was saying. Before the primaries as commentators we laughing at the very thought of Trump winning even though he was consistently leading in the primary polls similar to Joe Biden now. During the general election he would be within range say something outrageous fall 7 or 8 points behind it seemed over the pundit world breathed a sigh of relief then he would bounce back within range. Right before the election polls had Hillary with a three or four point lead. She won the popular vote by 2.9 percent. The idea of catastrophic poll failure in 2016 is an urban legend, the catastrophic failures occurred elsewhere.

What I see now is a typical American overcorrection reaction both by panicked progressives and cocky Trump supporters.

Of course anything can happen and we are months away from the first actual votes being counted but right now it is not looking good for Trump at all despite the Democrats seemingly handing him weapon after weapon. First of all what are the chances that if Trump loses the popular vote by 2 or more points he will win the electoral college again?

First he has to get 46 percent of the electorate to vote for him again to even get back to where he was in 2016. There is no sign he is willing or able to do that, to go beyond his very loyal base.

2020 will not be 2016. In 2016 nobody thought he was going to win and even if he did the office would humble him. Those delusions are long gone.

In conclusion in order for Trump to be reelected the democrats have to have a catastrophic failure multiple times worse then what they did in 2016. Based on the debates and the campaign so far and the history of that party there are reasons to be queasy if you hate Trump. But right now the numbers are much more suggestive of him losing in a landslide both in popular vote and electoral college then him being reelected.

Wish I had read this before I posted as it says just about everything I wanted. People criticized 538 for only giving him a 26% chance to win on election day when he won, despite a 26% chance being pretty damn high. It's about has high as your chances of drawing a random card from the deck and having it be a heart.

I think Trump is in trouble, but the laws of american politics say never count on the defeat of an incumbent president when the economy is growing. If a recession hits before November 2020, he's a goner, but if the economy is still doing ok by then he'll be harder to defeat than people think. The polling gap will narrow once he's against an actual nominee, just like it did in 2016. Will it be enough, depends on his opponent and the circumstances.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 4:29 am

Polls are basically meaningless to me because usually only 1000 to 1500 people are polled. I am no good at math but figuratively speaking that is like 0.1% of the US population.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 5:42 am

I think we can all agree the statistical validity of electoral polling has taken a battering in the last 5 years with Brexit, Trump and the Australian labor party losing the unloose-able election.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 7:26 am

Democrats could win easily.

However, poor people, minorities and young people are the worst at actually voting.

Big question. Will 77 year old, establishment, white man, Joe Biden excite people to show up?

"The Party of Nonvoters: Younger, More Racially Diverse, More Financially Strapped"
https://www.people-press.org/2014/10/31 ... nvoters-2/

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 8:55 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Democrats could win easily.

However, poor people, minorities and young people are the worst at actually voting.

Big question. Will 77 year old, establishment, white man, Joe Biden excite people to show up?

"The Party of Nonvoters: Younger, More Racially Diverse, More Financially Strapped"
https://www.people-press.org/2014/10/31 ... nvoters-2/

I predict a low turnout election but it could go either way politicaly.Biden wont likely excite anyone to vote but with Trumps low rating that might not be a problem

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 9:21 am

Perhaps Trump will be beaten by Democratic candidate [ insert candidate here ] by a landslide.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 9:53 am

Are people forgetting Trump has something no other candidate has to ensure success?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 10:18 am

Many real conservatives are less than happy with Trump's continued idiotic tweets and lies. The only thing make Trump seem at all conservative is the adults in the room, but they aren't enough on some issues.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2019, 12:37 pm

EzraS wrote:
Polls are basically meaningless to me because usually only 1000 to 1500 people are polled. I am no good at math but figuratively speaking that is like 0.1% of the US population.

It all depends on the sample quality. Some pollsters are better at it than others. It's also why people prefer to using polling averages where if you take like 30 different 1000 person polls and average them you effectively have a 30,000 person poll.

The pollsters do a much better job than people give them credit for. The pundits tend to grossly misrepresent what the polling actually means.