Advice on asking questions at work

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

awwthecar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2019, 3:27 pm

Hi,

So I work as a CGM Coordinator for a durable medical equipment company, and am still fairly new. I was originally verifying benefits, but they decided they wanted to outsource the position, and asked if I would volunteer for my current position.

My current position pays a lot better, but I’m currently at a stand-still.

Last week I asked one of my team leads if I could meet with her to go over some questions. My manager later cancelled the meeting, because it was the end of the month.

The way my brain works, I’m not 100 percent sure if it was cancelled because they think I ask too many questions. I’m hoping it was cancelled because it was the end of the month, and our company was under pressure for meeting our goals.

What is a good way to approach a team lead or manager, saying something like, “I apologize for having so many redundant questions, but my brain does process things differently than a neurotypical. I know I should know how to do this, and I have been trying, but I honestly cannot find the answer on my own.” Is there good wording that can acknowledge that I do ask a lot of questions, but help them understand that I’m just trying to do my job the most efficiently?

I don’t want to give up yet, but this position has been a huge learning curve, and the training system has been terrible.

Thanks!

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2019, 8:55 am

I am in a similar situation. I ask questions either to be sure I do the right thing, and as part as a learning process.

They don't appreciate very much about asking questions, because they can see as a learning disorder. I ask questions because of lack of information that they refuse to give.

Many things at administrative work depends on organisations. One organisation does some things in this way, the other does them in that way. The only way that works - in my opinion - is get used to working environment, asking questions to your boss or fellow colleagues; that is my opinion. The boss should teach new colleagues organisation specific things and guide (or let guide) them to a certain level. After a moment the employee is supposed to know the most important thing. If that isn't the case after - say 2 months of probation - there is something wrong. The employee isn't either a fast learner, or - not unlikely - the boss is a bad teacher. There are various cases where an employer get disappointed and quit the job.

If there weren't the problem of possible stigma against autism at companies, I would quit the job and try to find work elsewhere.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 9:39 am

When I start work at a new job, generally I ask a lot of questions if I have no experience in the task. I ask questions of my boss and also my coworkers. I ask the same questions to many different people and I factor in all the answers.

In general, many NTs hate this. They interpret my approach in the following way:
He asked me a question and I gave him an answer. Now he is asking someone else the same question. He doesn't value my expertise. He is calling me a lier.

So almost at the beginning I face hostility. Not that I sense it but it is there.

But the most important thing from my perspective is that I accomplish my mission, my objective. And by combining and filtering all the answers, I really come up with the best answer and the best approach. I get the job done.

So many people think I am weird. They don't understand me and never will. I have an INTJ personality type and for me the goal is to come up with the best answer.