Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2019, 4:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
No, murder normally isn't an autistic thing, but inappropriate emotional reactions can be.

Killers don't show remorse in general, but them not being horrified by their terrible actions (there are of course exceptions) is a product of their socio- or psychopathy. Not autism.

The monster could be classified as a non-human animal, a different species from man. Humans in general don't show very much emotional reactions or guilt when killing animals belonging to another species. Mostly it is not a crime to kill other animals, and the humans wanted to kill the monster too. The monster killed a handful of animals who were not of his own species and he was a vegetarian, therefore had a considerably lower count of deaths of other animals that he was responsible for than the average human does.

Do you think Victor is reacting more inappropriately (unrelated to autism)? He laments the murders but those feelings don't properly inform his actions and don't make him really want to prevent the murders (for example the monster warned Victor that he'd kill Elizabeth if Victor married her, but despite this terrible knowledge Victor went ahead and married her, therefore causing her death. He didn't want it any other way, even though he shows negative emotional reactions).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 2:39 pm

Lely wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No, murder normally isn't an autistic thing, but inappropriate emotional reactions can be.

Killers don't show remorse in general, but them not being horrified by their terrible actions (there are of course exceptions) is a product of their socio- or psychopathy. Not autism.

The monster could be classified as a non-human animal, a different species from man. Humans in general don't show very much emotional reactions or guilt when killing animals belonging to another species. Mostly it is not a crime to kill other animals, and the humans wanted to kill the monster too. The monster killed a handful of animals who were not of his own species and he was a vegetarian, therefore had a considerably lower count of deaths of other animals that he was responsible for than the average human does.

Do you think Victor is reacting more inappropriately (unrelated to autism)? He laments the murders but those feelings don't properly inform his actions and don't make him really want to prevent the murders (for example the monster warned Victor that he'd kill Elizabeth if Victor married her, but despite this terrible knowledge Victor went ahead and married her, therefore causing her death. He didn't want it any other way, even though he shows negative emotional reactions).

It was certainly irresponsible and thoughtless on Frankenstein's part, after the monster had warned him.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 9:05 pm

Frankenstein develops a conscience too late...

Prior to, he is an irresponsible teen parent. Taking liberties in secret, then recoiling in selfishness. The monster was like clay, ready to love and form attachments. But constant rejection and judgment ruined what could have been a really pure soul. This must've always been a common theme throughout social history, because it happens today.

Eventually, the warped version of the thing gets his maker's attention the only way he can-negatively. What choice does he have? Frankenstein wouldn't teach him, he expressed affection clumsily. Frankenstein rejected him, for fear he would be linked with the accidents. The monster will have an audience. The accidents became intentional.

The monster gave him a way out, but he wouldn't make a him a companion. So, the monster kept connecting with the only source of life he had: Frankenstein.

Frankenstein made the monster, then he made the monster evil, then he spent his life running from the evil he had created.

Been a few years since I read it, like 7. May not be remembering everything correctly.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

pearlyspencer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2019, 2:48 am

...I're read Shelley issued two versions, the revision more commonly published. I have read that version.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:34 pm

pearlyspencer wrote:
...I're read Shelley issued two versions, the revision more commonly published. I have read that version.

Me, too. I'd like to read the original version.