How to Prevent 32,000 Cancers Each Year

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2019, 8:44 am

The short answer is get vaccinated from HPV.

I read an article this morning that explored this subject. Vaccine Could Prevent Nearly 75% Of HPV-Associated Cancers

Scientists have invented something even better than a cure for cancer: Prevention. All you need is a shot (okay, it's two shots), and your risk of certain types of cancers would fall dramatically.

The human papillomavirus (HPV) comes in about 150 different varieties known as "strains." Some strains cause warts to grow on your feet, and this kind of HPV can be acquired by walking barefoot in moist areas, like public swimming pools or hotel showers. Other HPV strains are spread sexually, and these can cause genital warts or cancer.

The sexually transmitted HPV strains are very common. Indeed, they have been likened to the "common cold," and it is thought that 80% of sexually active people are infected with at least one HPV strain at some point in their lives. For most people, the virus is cleared, and they never even knew they were infected. But in some, the virus persists and causes cancer.

Several years ago, the FDA approved a nine-valent HPV vaccine, which means it targets nine different HPV strains (seven of which cause cancer and two of which cause genital warts). The vaccine is nearly 100% effective for preventing cervical infection (and hence, cervical cancer) by the HPV strains it targets.

Recently, the CDC published data on the annual number of new HPV-associated cancers in the United States. By "HPV-associated cancer," the CDC means cancers found in parts of the body -- like the cervix and throat -- that are often caused by HPV. Not all of them are. Yet, if everybody got vaccinated, we theoretically could cut such cancers by nearly 75%.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Sep 2019, 3:01 pm

This is great news if the vaccine is safe & really does stop those 9 HPV strains.
Are vaccines for other HPV strains in the works :?:
Is there an age range for who can receive this HPV vaccine :?:
& How long it will be before this HPV vaccine is widely used & docs start suggesting their patients get it :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 3:47 pm

nick007 wrote:
This is great news if the vaccine is safe & really does stop those 9 HPV strains.
Are vaccines for other HPV strains in the works :?:
Is there an age range for who can receive this HPV vaccine :?:
& How long it will be before this HPV vaccine is widely used & docs start suggesting their patients get it :?:

HPV [Human Papillomavirus] vaccine is currently available. Doctors are currently suggesting their patient receive the vaccination under the following guidelines:

Two doses of the HPV vaccine are recommended for all boys and girls at ages 11-12; the vaccine can be given as early as age 9. If you wait until they’re older, they may need three doses instead of two.

Children who start the vaccine series on or after their 15th birthday need three shots given over 6 months. If your teen hasn’t gotten the vaccine yet, talk to his/her doctor about getting it as soon as possible.

HPV vaccination is also recommended for everyone through age 26 years, if not vaccinated already.

Vaccination is not recommended for everyone older than age 26 years. However, some adults age 27 through 45 years who are not already vaccinated may decide to get HPV vaccine after speaking with their doctor about their risk for new HPV infections and the possible benefits of vaccination. HPV vaccination in this age range provides less benefit, as more people have already been exposed to HPV.

Source: CDC: Vaccinating Boys and Girls

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 3:48 pm

Gardasil is a vaccine, licensed for use in June 2006, by the FDA. It targets four strains of human papillomavirus (HPV) -- HPV-6, 11, 16, and 18. HPV-16 and HPV-18 account for about 70% of all cervical cancers. HPV-6 and -11 cause about 90% of genital warts. HPV is also linked to anal cancer.

There's a second vaccine in the works: Cervarix, from GlaxoSmithKline. Cervarix targets two HPV strains, HPV-16 and HPV-18. GSK says it plans to seek FDA approval for Cervarix by the end of the year.

Source: HPV, Cervical Cancer Vaccine: 15 Facts

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Sep 2019, 4:12 pm

Thanx jimmy 8)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition