If they can be accepted why can’t we?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 9:31 am

If gay people can be accepted in society why can’t autistic people?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Sep 2019, 9:40 am

I'm feeling more accepted by society and fit into both categories mentioned. I have also noticed that people on the autism spectrum in general are more accepted especially when people know more about them and have been educated about it. I'm not saying everyone accepts it but there is increased acceptance and support.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 9:40 am

It took a very long time for homosexuals to be accepted as well. And in many places they are still not.

Wreck It Ralph

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 9:43 am

envirozentinel wrote:
I'm feeling more accepted by society and fit into both categories mentioned. I have also noticed that people on the autism spectrum in general are more accepted especially when people know more about them and have been educated about it. I'm not saying everyone accepts it but there is increased acceptance and support.

Well that’s good too hear

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 9:48 am

Jamesy wrote:
If gay people can be accepted in society why can’t autistic people?
Who says gay people (or any LGBTQ people, for that matter) are accepted in society? Last I knew, they were still being discriminated against in many places -- not everywhere, though.

If we would organize, infiltrate upper corporate management, "come out", go on strike, and march for our rights like the LGBTQ crowd has done, then we might stand a chance of changing other people's attitudes to our favor.

But no ... we first need the "normies" to organize on our behalf because most of us can barely organize ourselves (or we're hyper-organized), and at the risk of forming another "curebie" organization like Autism Speaks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 10:14 am

In the UK homosexuality is accepted, and you now get frowned upon by most people if you don't tolerate gay people. Be nice if the same could apply for people on the autism spectrum.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 10:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
In the UK homosexuality is accepted, and you now get frowned upon by most people if you don't tolerate gay people. Be nice if the same could apply for people on the autism spectrum.

so is the UK the least tolerant country towards autistics?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 10:31 am

It's probably one of the more tolerant nations when it comes to autism.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

Well, with how intensely politically correct the UK has become, autism is still not only misunderstood but not socially tolerated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 11:16 am

It doesn’t mean I think they’re tolerant...but they are much more so than a place like Nigeria.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 11:33 am

It's because of useless organisations like Autism Speaks.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 11:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It doesn’t mean I think they’re tolerant...but they are much more so than a place like Nigeria.

I'm not saying the UK is worse than other places, but here the stigma against autistics isn't very good. People either see us as ret*d or serial killers. I think I'll rather be mistaken for ret*d than a serial killer.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 11:54 am

Joe90 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm not saying the UK is worse than other places, but here the stigma against autistics isn't very good. People either see us as ret*d or serial killers. I think I'll rather be mistaken for ret*d than a serial killer.

why would they see us as serial killers?

the UK better saught itself out :evil:

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2019, 12:00 pm

I am transgender and autistic and I feel as accepted as I can possibly be.

Acceptance for autistic people has already happened, the only difference is people don't struggle to communicate with gay people, where as they struggle to communicate with us because our outlook and way of going about things is different to the norm. When people can't understand us properly, it may make us feel unaccepted but I think it's important to make a distinction between not being accepted and being misunderstood.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 12:21 pm

Because sexual- and gender minorities are better at making noise about themselves in a way that neurotypicals can understand than autistic people are? That and they're louder about being accepted as they are in the mass media in general... oh and it's easier to define sexual- and gender minorities than autism, easier to explain what it is.

But on the bright side, autism has never been a crime anywhere, has it? Homosexuality has and still is in some parts of the world. Would I rather be considered crazy or a criminal for something I can't change? Definitely the former, thank you.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 12:53 pm

I don't see many cases of discrimination here. You go into a restaurant and they refuse to serve you. Or you can't get a job even though you are highly qualified to do it.

What I do see is a difference of opinion on how things should be. Which, to me, isn't the same.