Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 2:15 pm

I really don't like where I am in life and I really want to go back to school to become a teacher. I graduated from college year before last and I didn't really get a degree or any particular skills that could set me down a career path. I spent all my years in school deeply depressed and barely functional, to the point that I was dismissed and reinstated twice and it took me 7 years to graduate. I had considered my school's fast-track teacher's degree program, but I have none of the credentials or references I would need to be a part of that, not to mention that I didn't take a single teaching course as an undergrad.
I'm just wondering if anyone would have advice for where I could start with this. I know it won't be easy and it will take years at least but I really want to do this. I'd flirted with trying to go into teaching when I was younger but it kind of got lost to my years-long depressive fog. I love helping people learn and I've always gotten on well with kids. It just seems like something fulfilling and meaningful that I could be good at.
Would I just...straight up call the Education Department? And ask point blank what I would want to do as a first step? (Anxiety makes it very hard for me to think that would be a good idea but I'm probably wrong). Would I set up an appointment with an academic advisor? Do prospective students who've already graduated even do that if they aren't going to grad school?
I've put this off too long because of depression and anxiety but I really want to focus and get some direction for myself.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 8:41 am

I think that’s an excellent idea.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 7:41 pm

I would call your college or uni and tell them you want to teach in public schools. Ask for an appointment with an academic advisor to discuss what would be needed. This is a reasonable and I think common request.

Private schools and some charter schools can hire uncertified teachers, so you might look in that direction also.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:08 pm

You might apply as a substitute teacher for elementary/junior high/high school. You will have to go through a background check. It could give you some hands-on experience with teaching so that you could make up your mind if teaching is the profession for you.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 1:11 pm

Would you also consider applying for a potential education assistant position?

rachelbowers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2019, 2:50 pm

Don't worry so much about school. Everyone went through it.

rachelbowers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2019, 12:50 pm

Do not worry about returning to school. Everyone went through it. But you will meet friends. Do not worry so much about a large number of tasks. This is a problem for all students. Try using the help of a writing service [url]https://

Last edited by B19 on 30 Nov 2019, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer