Feeling awkward around my best friend??

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FredFred87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2019, 6:48 pm

I have a best friend in real life who's autistic like me, and we've basically been buddies since we were little kids. We talk a bit online, but it's been a while since we've actually seen each other. I've been meaning to hang out with him more, but over the years I've been feeling more and more socially awkward. Whenever I invite him over, I start feeling a little uneasy because I worry if he's uncomfortable or bored. Sometimes I wonder if he even likes me at all, and it sucks. :x I love him lots and wish I could relax easier. Any tips or ideas?

"Y'know, sometimes, a story's just a story. You try to read into every little thing, and find meaning in everything anyone says, you'll just drive yourself crazy. And then not only that, but... you'll likely end up believing something you shouldn't believe, thinking something you shouldn't think, or assuming something you shouldn't assume."
- Mr. Hippo

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Invite him to go to a movie with you.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 2:28 am

If there's no mutual sexual tension then Kraftie is right....meet up regularly for a movie night

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 8:41 pm

FredFred87 wrote:
I have a best friend in real life who's autistic like me, and we've basically been buddies since we were little kids. We talk a bit online, but it's been a while since we've actually seen each other. I've been meaning to hang out with him more, but over the years I've been feeling more and more socially awkward. Whenever I invite him over, I start feeling a little uneasy because I worry if he's uncomfortable or bored. Sometimes I wonder if he even likes me at all, and it sucks. :x I love him lots and wish I could relax easier. Any tips or ideas?

Ask him what his interests are. Then find something you and he can do together that's relevant to one or more of his interests (and preferably yours as well).