Does anybody use childhood media as coping with anxiety?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 9:47 pm

Does anybody seem to indulge in media from the era where you were a child or a little later to cope with anxiety issues? I have a case of somewhat regular anxiety and I seem to think the one of the couple things that makes me "forget about it" for any moment and gives me at least some good feeling is my own childhood media from the 90s/early-00s and before then even, I mean watching or reading material related to it. I feel like I would be more crazy if I didn't at least have that, that's how I feel about it. I don't know if it's bad or living too much in the past, but it calms me for a while.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2019, 10:54 pm

I used to do it a lot back in the 90's. When I moved into a group home at age 21, I would record episodes of Mr. Dressup and Sesame Street in the morning and watch them a lot, mostly in the evenings. I also collected and watched quite a few Disney movies.

I used to have some Disney videos in their Black Diamond Classics cases. I'd bet they'd sell for quite a bit of money now. Oh well.

ThatWeirdGirlIntheCorner
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2019, 6:27 pm

Yeah sure all the time

But I love cartoons and I watch current new cartoons too they make me feel good I love the magic and the colors. I mainly watch cartoons because I like them over human actors. Bojack Horseman is a phenomenal show

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 7:50 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Does anybody seem to indulge in media from the era where you were a child or a little later to cope with anxiety issues? I have a case of somewhat regular anxiety and I seem to think the one of the couple things that makes me "forget about it" for any moment and gives me at least some good feeling is my own childhood media from the 90s/early-00s and before then even, I mean watching or reading material related to it. I feel like I would be more crazy if I didn't at least have that, that's how I feel about it. I don't know if it's bad or living too much in the past, but it calms me for a while.

Sure, that's nostalgia: to return home due to pain.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 9:10 am

I have The Brady Bunch and The Flintstones on DVD box sets. Instrumental sound effects such as Fred Flintstone's running sound, can calm me instantly. I also adore all the Christmas specials from the 1970s and I have rituals about where / when to watch those on an annual basis. They include Charlie Brown's Christmas, The Grinch, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and The Year without a Santa Claus. Charlie Brown and The Great Pumpkin is also very soothing. I can't watch any computerised animation; it has to be hand-drawn.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2019, 1:21 am

Televised media has a habit of drawing in people's nostalgia whether we like it or not. Yes as times it is soothing, at others just confusing. Now when I see something from long ago I think, 'well really?; haven't we moved on from that one already?' or, 'Has funding for the monetary effort for releasing new commercials dried up along with street ads?'.
If I want or need a bit of the old times, I just look for programmes that say The 100 greatest moments from.. whichever decade, and decide whether or not the moment still actively applies or not. How times have differed offer little or no importance or improvement on ideas, maybe later constructive or early models can pave the way.
What time offers is an increased sense of ill fate or de'ja vu that whatever is happening, is either going to boost your spirits, your sense of morale or conduct, or enhanced persona towards whatever seems to be taking up resonance in whatever form is taking place. I'm not so sure people would want to remember a time in their lives, that maybe wasn't so great and having to see old repeat performances that their sub or pre conscious mind would be better off without.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 8:19 am

I used to watch Curious George cartoons with the kids when they were little. I still enjoy watching them now and always will.

For my youth, some of the shows I used to love I've seen recently and thought: "Wow, I liked this back then but now I think it's a really bad show." The Greatest American Hero was the show.

I still like the show Kung Fu and the kids like it too. The reason I liked it back then was that I identified with the character. A person who enjoyed nature, was one with it, roamed the earth in solitude or on the periphery, was kind to others but at the same time many people picked on him for no reason at all. That was the story of my life. The only difference was that the character knew how to defend himself.

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2019, 10:20 pm

Yes I do this very much