Why are so many young men going bald?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2019, 12:34 pm

I know that most men lose hair as they age, but it seems like it's happening to a lot of men in their twenties. I've noticed from Facebook photos that a lot of the guys that I went to high school with are balding. It makes some of them look like they are in their forties and not 25 or 26. At 26, I have thinning hair but I still have most of it. I feel lucky to still have most of my hair because there are men younger than me who have less hair than I do. Being bald at a young age is making these men look 10 to 15 years older. Is there something in our food or water supply that is causing men to go bald at a young age? It seems that previous generations went bald later in life.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 6:41 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
I know that most men lose hair as they age, but it seems like it's happening to a lot of men in their twenties. I've noticed from Facebook photos that a lot of the guys that I went to high school with are balding. It makes some of them look like they are in their forties and not 25 or 26. At 26, I have thinning hair but I still have most of it. I feel lucky to still have most of my hair because there are men younger than me who have less hair than I do. Being bald at a young age is making these men look 10 to 15 years older. Is there something in our food or water supply that is causing men to go bald at a young age? It seems that previous generations went bald later in life.

It might be because men don’t go too the doctors as much as women do. Often medical conditions can lead too hair loss.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 7:39 pm

Part of it is in the genetic makeup. If your father and grandfather went bald early, then there is a good chance you will too.

NEARLY TWO OUT OF EVERY three men will begin balding by the time they're 60. Recent research suggests that the most common type of hair loss, male pattern baldness, can be triggered by faulty hair-making progenitor cells in the scalp. Other potential contributors to hair loss include illness, age, genetics, and even primping habits.

While the primary baldness gene is on the X chromosome, which men get only from their mothers, other factors are also in play. The hereditary factor is slightly more dominant on the woman's side, but research suggests that men who have a bald father are more likely to develop male pattern baldness than those who don't.

Hair loss can strike in the teens and is common among 20- and 30-year-olds. The earlier it begins, the more severe it will likely become.

For more information: What Causes Hair Loss? 9 Myths About Baldness

In my case my hair began to thin substantially around 30 years ago. But then I began to take a supplement called Juvenon. As a side effect it halted my hair loss and also slowed my hair graying. Juvenon contains Acetyl L-Carnitine (1000 mg), Alpha Lipoic Acid (400 mg). I took it because it dramatically improved my lung function. It is purchased over the internet.

Justin101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2019, 3:37 pm

Stress.

:skull:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:04 pm

I'm 62. Hair is thinner , but i'm not bald-yet. My father is 89 and not bald . His father was bald towards the end of his life, but ? the cancer he had contributed to that. I have no idea about my maternal grandfather as I never met him .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:09 pm

This has been going on since time began.

My grandfather was pretty much bald by the time he was 26----and that was in 1926.

I've had a receding hairline since my late 20's.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 8:53 am

30% of all men have visible signs of hair loss by the age of 30. There's nothing wrong with it, even though women's magazines and Hollywood movies try to convince the world that it's the ultimate sign of being a loser.

There are plenty of hairstyles that will hide early-stage pattern baldness quite well (contrary to popular belief, a buzzcut will amplify it).

Moretto
Raven
Raven

Location: 01 Oakes Vetoh Lemala, Zeydin Seetznin, Hanow, Cassonie

12 Sep 2019, 10:36 am

I never got the impression that men in olden times were less vulnerable to balding, BUT , I am sure that modern processed diets aren't helping the matter...
Well. If they aren't contributing to hair loss, then they are harming us by other means. But that's a whole 'nother conversation....

I recently saw a video that has been making the rounds, of a judge somewhere in the US altruistically throwing out a ticket given to a 96 year old man who was cited for speeding in a school zone. He was driving his chronically sick son (himself in his 60s).

What stood out to me most was NOT the actions of the judge*, but rather that, here is this man, at 96...with a head FULL of hair! Wow!

A very close friend of mine started going bald at age 22. When I met him, he was 21 and had thick curly black hair. But already by 23 it started falling out like crazy, and it aged him massively. He looked like a man in his late 30s, maybe even 40s.

But I'm sure y'all know the saying about men, and how they age like fine wine or whatever...you can be bald, balding, and be a hunk. Not denying that, I agree with Kurgan. But you have to find your own way, and many don't.

*I also started thinking...just because the man is ancient, and he's driving his sick son around...does that give him a free pass to speed and put others in danger??? What kind of precedent does THAT set...but this is also a whole 'nother conversation

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive." - Baldwin

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 12:47 pm

well a lot of young men these days take steriods which causes balding as a side effect

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 1:24 pm

I know a guy who went bald in his 20s thirty years ago. Coincidence? I didn't know many 20 year olds 30 years ago like many Aspies.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 2:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
well a lot of young men these days take steriods which causes balding as a side effect

Not necessarily. If you go bald on steroids, you would go bald without eventually as well.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 6:37 pm

I've noticed that my hair seems to have thinned in the last couple of years, and my brother told me his hair has gotten thinner too, though I wouldn't have noticed just by looking at him. Neither of us look like we're balding though, and I'm lucky in that I've started with very thick hair.

I've read that hair loss is correlated with higher levels of dihydrotestosterone, and apparently dihydrotestosterone also aids in beard growth, so going bald is correlated with good beard growth

flownawy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2019, 10:03 am

too much schooling and thinking about it

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 10:56 am

Early hairloss is hereditary from my father's side of family; him and his sister both have it pretty bad and I started losing hair at 13 or 14. So yeah, not just a guy problem, but more common for guys.

As for other than hereditary reasons, there is stress, lack of certain necessary vitamins (this one could really be the reason for many, especially if they have an unhealthy diet) or chemicals from wherever that ruin the hair/scalp.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

If it is stress or chemicals shouldn't women be losing their hair as well? These days women has just as much job stress as men.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 12:03 pm

BTDT wrote:
If it is stress or chemicals shouldn't women be losing their hair as well? These days women has just as much job stress as men.

Many women are, myself included, but since there are more men who do, it might be a combination between those things and men having hereditary hair loss more often (I think.) And also, there are other things that cause stress than work, so I don't really get why that needed to be mentioned?