Bad 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
I don't know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I drive my car in treetops 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

nouse
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2019, 11:03 am

Usually what I see is that various articles claim that people in autism spectrum have good environmental awareness to a point of overwhelming them and causing overload.

Do you find this to be true? Votes dear people, please.

I personally mix my mental images to environment from time to time. I think I hallucinate a lot. My awareness is very bad and I never notice environmental details.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 11:20 am

I'm not sure....a lot of autistic people go into their own little world and can lack awareness of what's going on around them.

I don't go into my own world though. I notice everything. I can even tell when someone is standing behind me in a supermarket and I move aside without even having to look to see them there.

psychogirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2019, 2:11 pm

I think it varies. If I am alert, I have good awareness. I seem to utilise peripheral vision more than the average person, which helps. But if I'm engrossed in something, I probably wouldn't notice very much around me.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 2:27 pm

I tend to go into partial shutdown when I'm in public places, meaning I don't have much awareness of my surroundings. When I don't, though, I'm hyper-aware. So depending on the situation, I can be either.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 2:50 pm

I have good environmental awareness when I am driving. This is because I make it a priority.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:03 pm

I have poor visual environmental awareness even though my entire thought process is visual. It's not that I block it from over stimulation, it's that I'm too inside my own head to notice what happens on the outside.

I have hyper environmental awareness to smells and sounds. I notice smoke, air fresheners, anything around before anyone else. I can't handle background noises.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 9:24 pm

Usually I'm pretty strongly aware of my environment, and I often wish I wasn't. Even the faint sound of other people's voices tends to mess up my concentration. I try to shut it out sometimes but it tends to encroach on me nonetheless. I know when I'm visible and audible to other people. Most of the time, the presence of people, even in an adjoining room when the door between us is closed, colours my sense of the occasion and I know that I could be interrupted at any time.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 10:05 pm

Depends on which scale and it varies based mainly of executive function, mental and consciousness states.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

danchrist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2019, 11:23 am

I'm generally pretty good, but if I've been taken captive by an interest, all bets are off. As others have noted, if I'm driving, I'm driving, so that's usually pretty good.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2019, 11:33 am

I'm very aware, but don't care.
I didn't make children so am already 200 times better at creating a healthy environment than anyone with a child and doing it perfectly.
Nothing more hypocritical than holier than thou environmentalist driving a Prius and a child.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 10:57 pm

danchrist wrote:
As others have noted, if I'm driving, I'm driving, so that's usually pretty good.

The UK Highway Code says, or at least used to say, that the driver should stay focussed on driving safely even at the risk of appearing antisocial towards the passengers. I always figured that to be very sensible advice.