How to respond when I feel hot and bothered by a troll?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 11:10 am

Hi:
I wanted to come here because I have a problem ignoring internet trolls and other people who make mean comments and set me off.

1. How do I develop tougher skin
2. What are some good suggestions when you feel hot and bothered and what do you do?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 11:56 am

1. Do Not Feed the Trolls. Do not reply to their posts.
2. If you must reply, reply to someone else's post in the same thread, especially someone with whom you agree. That way, you can elaborate on why you agree without engaging the troll directly.
3. Otherwise, leave the thread, subforum, forum, or website entirely.
4. Better yet, stay away from threads, subforums, forums, and websites you know to be infested with trolls.

Finally, to paraphrase what George Bernard Shaw said about pigs...

"I learned long ago to never argue with a troll.  You'll only get dirty, and besides, the troll likes it."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 12:42 pm

What's a good coping solution when I feel angry that I was trolled without feeding them?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 3:58 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
What's a good coping solution when I feel angry that I was trolled without feeding them?
Eat chocolate. Look at cat videos. Laugh. Repeat.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 4:33 pm

When I have something I really want to say but know I shouldn't, I find that writing it down later can help me just get it out. Maybe you could try writing whatever you want to to them on a piece of paper instead of posting it, then crumple it up and throw it away? That way you can get your feelings out without feeding the troll.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2019, 4:45 pm

Internet trolls: you do not know them. Their thoughts/opinions/lives are wholly irrelevant to you. They are no one to you. They are in essence fictional characters. Do not let yourself be worked up by fictional characters.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 4:46 pm

I wouldn't use the phrase "hot and bothered." To some people, it means you're aroused sexually.

I don't mean that I remotely thought that you were "aroused." But it is used in that sense.

It's better to say "hot under the collar."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 5:01 pm

I'm a big billy goat gruff. Trolls don't like them... Trip trap trip trap :P :lol:

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2019, 5:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Eat chocolate. Look at cat videos. Laugh. Repeat.

Sound advice for soothing ruffled feathers. 8)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 7:22 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi:
I wanted to come here because I have a problem ignoring internet trolls and other people who make mean comments and set me off.

1. How do I develop tougher skin
2. What are some good suggestions when you feel hot and bothered and what do you do?

I would suggest being very selective about which Internet forums and social media you participate in, in the first place. Stick with relatively small, well-organized, well-moderated forums. Avoid, as much as possible, massive social media such as Facebook and Twitter.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 7:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn't use the phrase "hot and bothered." To some people, it means you're aroused sexually.

I don't mean that I remotely thought that you were "aroused." But it is used in that sense.

It's better to say "hot under the collar."

I came here to find out why she was aroused by a troll. Bit of a miscommunication, I suppose. Also, I'm pretty sure that both "hot and bothered" and "hot under the collar" implies sexual arousal, and that it's the most widely understood meaning at least in the case of the former.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 8:01 am

“Hot under the collar” always means “angry”—at least where I come from.

As for trolls: best ignored!! !! !!

I’m trolled all over. I have people who sort of follow me around and seek to contradict things I say.

Like I said: best ignored!! !! !!

Moretto
Raven
Raven

Location: 01 Oakes Vetoh Lemala, Zeydin Seetznin, Hanow, Cassonie

12 Sep 2019, 10:51 am

Fnord wrote:
1. Do Not Feed the Trolls. Do not reply to their posts.
2. If you must reply, reply to someone else's post in the same thread, especially someone with whom you agree. That way, you can elaborate on why you agree without engaging the troll directly.
3. Otherwise, leave the thread, subforum, forum, or website entirely.
4. Better yet, stay away from threads, subforums, forums, and websites you know to be infested with trolls.

Finally, to paraphrase what George Bernard Shaw said about pigs...

"I learned long ago to never argue with a troll.  You'll only get dirty, and besides, the troll likes it."

Good advice right here.

Most trolls are just projecting, from what I've been able to gather. The names they call you, what they accuse you of, more often than not are reflections of how they feel about themselves or what they're guilty of. Pathetic but understandable behavior.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive." - Baldwin