Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

12 Sep 2019, 10:51 pm

Irulan wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Irulan wrote:
Ah, yes, we are still friends :) Only children who watch The Flintstones do think humans and dinosaurs lived in the same time period, though, lol. :lol:

in our central bible belt there is a creationist museum which also depicts dinosaurs together with humans in its exhibits.

Some Polish politician claimed recently that the cavemen threw stones at dinosaurs to kill them for meat 8O And another one states that dinos and humans lived in the same period too, the best proof of which is the existence of legends about dragons 8O

do you have a bible belt in your country?



Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 May 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,663
Location: Poland

13 Sep 2019, 2:16 am

No Bible beltl, luckily, but the elderly generation is typically superreligious. But we do have Radio Maryja https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Maryja and its founder, father Rydzyk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Rydzyk It's the closest to what you are asking me, we have.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Sep 2019, 2:46 am

Irulan wrote:
No Bible beltl, luckily, but the elderly generation is typically superreligious. But we do have Radio Maryja https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Maryja and its founder, father Rydzyk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Rydzyk It's the closest to what you are asking me, we have.

the bible belt here typically votes for the most right-wing pols and policies.



CubsBullsBears
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2016
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 424
Location: Iowa

13 Sep 2019, 4:46 am

I'd travel back to the 80s, to see what my hometown looked like 30+ years ago.

Although I wasn't born yet, I have a soft spot in my heart for those times. The music was better than it is now and I would love to see with my own eyes the way things were a decade plus before I was born.

Unfortunately, Back To The Future has taught me that time travel causes "nothing but disaster". So if given the chance, I'd have to painfully decline.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Sep 2019, 4:51 am

i would like to walk into a high-end audio salon circa 1985.



Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 911
Location: UK

13 Sep 2019, 5:25 am

I'd say the 18th/19th century. Because it seems like there was a lot of exploration and 'discovery' around that time. I've always thought it must have been so exciting to see/hear of a country and its 'artefacts' when they were first 'discovered'. :D



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Sep 2019, 5:27 am

i would not go back in time before the era of sanitation. :eew:



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,952
Location: temperate zone

13 Sep 2019, 5:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
Irulan wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Irulan wrote:
Ah, yes, we are still friends :) Only children who watch The Flintstones do think humans and dinosaurs lived in the same time period, though, lol. :lol:

in our central bible belt there is a creationist museum which also depicts dinosaurs together with humans in its exhibits.

Some Polish politician claimed recently that the cavemen threw stones at dinosaurs to kill them for meat 8O And another one states that dinos and humans lived in the same period too, the best proof of which is the existence of legends about dragons 8O

do you have a bible belt in your country?


If you think of all of Europe as being equivalent to the USA then all of eastern Europe would be "the Bible Belt", and all of western Europe would be even more secular than than the least religious parts of the US.



Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 911
Location: UK

13 Sep 2019, 5:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
i would not go back in time before the era of sanitation. :eew:

I would cheat and bring a supply of soap and antibacterial products. If a record of a woman in this time strangely wiping everything with a cloth before touching it comes to light, it's me and I discovered time travel. 8)



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Sep 2019, 6:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
If you think of all of Europe as being equivalent to the USA then all of eastern Europe would be "the Bible Belt", and all of western Europe would be even more secular than than the least religious parts of the US.

as spock might say, "fascinating..." it was be good to live in a place where religion is in its proper perspective.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Sep 2019, 6:04 am

Stardust_Dragonfly wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i would not go back in time before the era of sanitation. :eew:

I would cheat and bring a supply of soap and antibacterial products. If a record of a woman in this time strangely wiping everything with a cloth before touching it comes to light, it's me and I discovered time travel. 8)

i'll see if there are any new entries in my encyclopedia. ;)



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 93,835
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Sep 2019, 6:08 am

march 13, 1986 is a date which in my mind will live in a kind of infamy - i had the blinkin' chance to actually BUY microsoft stock at its IPO, for $21/share. if i had done so, a round lot would have cost me $2100, an amount i actually could have afforded even on my measly army pay then. if i had done so, i'd be worth about 10 million buck$ now without having done a thing afterwards. but i was just a dumb army private who knew nothing about computers or even what microsoft was, so i passed. there are at least 2 other army privates then, who are multimillionaires now, because they were smart enough to buy it, having begged, borrowed, sold and stolen every buck they could get their hands on.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,606
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

13 Sep 2019, 10:55 am

I'd go back to when I was a kid in the 80's. The 80's were awesome, dude. We had some of the best toys, the best movies, the best TV shows. I'd probably buy so much stuff I'd need to get a second apartment to put it all in. :D

Although I wonder how I would get Canadian 80's money. If people saw that I had Loonies and Toonies as currency they'd ask me if I came from Cartoon World or something.

And while I'm at it I think I'd travel back further and see what my parents were like as kids, as long it doesn't turn into Back to the Future and I end up never being born.



Sir Sensealot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jul 2019
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
Location: The Dutch Republic

13 Sep 2019, 11:50 am

Leonard from The Big Bang Theory wasn't allowed to choose a destination himself:



Probably my favorite joke from the series.

I agree with Irulan about Ancient Egypt. I especially would like to watch the great pyramids being build. I probably would be amazed about how wrong all the theories of today's scientists and historians truly are. I highly doubt any aliens were involved though 8O .



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,066
Location: Stendec

13 Sep 2019, 12:48 pm

Sir Sensealot wrote:
... I probably would be amazed about how wrong all the theories of today's scientists and historians truly are...
Maybe along the way, I could stop at various points of timespace and eliminate those who first came up with the following crackpot ideas...

► Akashic Record
► Alternative (e.g., Fake) Medicine
► Alternative Medicine
► Ancient Aliens/Astronauts
► Astral Projection
► Astrology
► Biorhythms
► Bleach Cures
► Chariots of the Gods
► Conspiracy Theories
► Conversion Therapy
► Crop Circles
► Cryptozoology
► Crystal Healing
► Dianetics
► Dowsing
► Electrogravitics
► Face on Mars
► Facilitated Communications
► Feng Shui
► Flat Earth Society
► Genetic Memory
► Geocentrism
► Glyphosate Causes Autism
► Handwriting/Signature Analysis
► Hollow Earth
► Homeopathy
► Hypnosis
► Intelligent Design
► Lunar Effect
► Magnetic Therapy
► Megalithic Geometry
► Moon Landing Conspiracy
► Nibiru Cataclysm
► Numerology
► Ouija Boards
► Palmistry
► Parapsychology
► Perpetual Motion
► Phrenology
► Polygraphy (e.g, "Lie Detectors")
► Primal Therapy
► Psychic Abilities
► Pyramidology (a.k.a., "Pyramidiocy")
► Quantum Mysticism
► Radionics
► Refrigerator Mothers Cause Autism
► Sun Signs
► Tachyons
► Tarot Cards
► The Bermuda Triangle
► Thimerosol Causes Autism
► Torsion Field
► Ufology
► Worlds in Collision

... and that's just for starters!


_________________
"I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis."
-- Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)