First things that shutdown in a partial or a full shutdown?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 4:59 pm

For me, as normally they come on me slowly. Not quite gradually, but I can hold them off from going deep for a while... But the first thing I find that a partial shutdown effects is my balance. I start to walk as if I am drunk or have the flu.
What are the first notidable things you find shutting down? Or are your shutdowns rather sudden?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 5:24 pm

If I'm having to interact with other people, I usually notice it first with speaking and/or following other people's speech. It gets harder and harder to find words, especially names for people and places, and I can't get them out without lots of pauses and repetitions, or start saying things but can't finish my sentences. What happens with hearing speech is really hard to describe - I kind of know that the noises are meant to be words still, and sometimes little bits of meaning come to me, a bit like everyone has suddenly started speaking a foreign language (but also not like that! :? )

Besides that; the same as you, my co-ordination goes completely wonky, and navigating around gets tricky - as if I can't quite judge the size and arrangement of things in the space around me (and it has been confused with being drunk quite a few times!) I have to be careful with this, because if the shut-down turns into a melt-down, I'm likely to run off, but I won't have a clue where I'm going because nowhere looks familiar any more - I've sometimes ended up miles away.

At the same time, it can be very odd what get's preserved. I've been able to read and write sometimes even though I can't understand people talking. There was one time where I was even able to write myself a note before crashing to bed, but I couldn't read what I'd written (I assumed I had also forgotten how to write; so I gave up on my "scribbling", only to find that I could read it the next morning - it wasn't exactly my best hand-writing, but it was rather a weird surprise!)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 5:36 pm

Trogluddite! Yay! You're here! I was so concerned that you had dissapeared! So glad to see you back.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 9:52 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I was so concerned that you had dissapeared

Aah, thanks MG - I don't mean to freak anyone out. I don't even really realise that I've left sometimes. It's almost a shut-down kind of thing itself - like the "forum" bit of my brain just wears out until I just can't communicate that way for a bit. I get so introverted sometimes that I'm sure I'll turn myself inside-out one of these days!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 5:34 am

Don't turn yourself inside out.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 9:18 am

Like Trogluddite, for me it's listening to people. I just can't focus on other people's chatter anymore.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 6:20 am

Fern wrote:
Like Trogluddite, for me it's listening to people. I just can't focus on other people's chatter anymore.

Do you find it worse when more then one person is talking at the same time?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 10:55 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Do you find it worse when more then one person is talking at the same time?

I definitely do. The burble of lots of people talking is one of the most oppressive sounds in the world to me - something I often have to go and hide from so that it doesn't close in around me and set off a shut-down or melt-down. It's the same trying to talk to someone when they've got the TV or radio playing voices in the background, or the sound of it coming through the walls from a neighbours house.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 10:59 am

A room full of talking people.